Red meat and stomach/esophageal cancer

jfh

perpetual student
The researchers questioned 494,979 U.S. residents between the ages of 50 and 71 about their lifestyle and diet habits, including consumption of red meat and their favored cooking methods, then followed them for approximately 10 years.
These uncontrolled studies, based upon lifestyles, are so lame. Diet changes. People binge and lie. Municipal water treatments vary. Some people are careful to eat organic. Others don't mind eating pesticides. Some people clean their newly bough produce exceptionally well. Others ....

Catch my drift? We hear daily the something causes cancer. We hear frequently the something, natural or not, cures cancer.

jfh

perpetual student
But really now. How often to you eat steak? How often do you eat it rare, med well, well, charred? What kind of red meat do you eat? If none at all, will you do this for 10 years? Do you always use the same tenderizer or tenderizing method? Doesn't your diet change periodically? Does you lifestyle change a bit? Do you have NO stress changes in such a period? Hormonal changes? Do you take aspirin or nsaids?

Yes, on those kind of surveys (studies), I'm hard to please.

u&iraok

No doubt that freaky beef everyone eats causes cancer.

Now, redo the study using organic, grass-fed, grass-finished beef.

pinballdoctor

No doubt that freaky beef everyone eats causes cancer.

Now, redo the study using organic, grass-fed, grass-finished beef.
I agree.

Cows are meant to eat grass, not grains. Grass is rich in nutrients, including chlorophyll, which protects the animal from disease.

Most grains are genetically modified, and are also contaminated with fungi. This makes the cow sick, and when you consume the meat,... well, you get the picture.

One sick cow can contaminate several tonns of meat.

knightofalbion

Original Poster
But really now. How often to you eat steak? How often do you eat it rare, med well, well, charred? What kind of red meat do you eat? If none at all, will you do this for 10 years? Do you always use the same tenderizer or tenderizing method? Doesn't your diet change periodically? Does you lifestyle change a bit? Do you have NO stress changes in such a period? Hormonal changes? Do you take aspirin or nsaids?

Yes, on those kind of surveys (studies), I'm hard to please.
I don't eat any meat, Jim. I'm a vegan.

jfh

perpetual student
I don't eat any meat, Jim. I'm a vegan.
I understand, but my point was, how can you trust such uncontrolled studies even with so many people / personalities / general health / varying diets / - all over a period of 10 years.

There is a difference between that kind of study and national statistics, such as Japanese having less breast disease than Americans, or other specific diseases. In a national study, you are not measuring strict diet, but instead general. You are measuring people at all levels of society - wealth, health, age, etc.

I do think such studies are good jumping off points. Benchmarks.