Really need some guidance... lots of supplements!

SevenWonders

Hi everyone! :wave:

I have been enjoying reading your posts for a few weeks now,
and I finally made the time to compose this.

I take a LOT of supplements, and although I feel that I have good basic knowledge about each one that I take, I would love to have some help in terms of combining them. I imagine that I am taking some together that do not work so well together, and I am likely missing opportunities elsewhere. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Like most people, I mainly take supplements to improve my long term health, and to assist my body in dealing with a few minor ailments. I am a 47 y/o male with good general health. I get plenty of exercise, but I have bad (large and small) vericose veins in my left leg. Although my blood profile was good overall (April, 2012), I did have slightly high Triglycerides and LDL, and HDL that is at the low end of what is considered to be "Good." I have lost 35 pounds since then, due to planting and enjoying a large veggie garden this year. In addition to the details above, I also developed Panic Disorder after dealing with some traumatic family deaths. Additionally, after a difficult few months this year, I had been experiencing some late morning and early afternoon nausea, so I recently added a few supplements to help with that. Fortunately, I have not had any issues with these, but I do have a family history of Heart Disease and Diabetes.

With these factors in mind, here are the supplements I use and (roughly) the times of day that I take them:

Around 6am, without eating - then back to sleep...
Now DGL (1 lozenge)
Doctor's Best Serrapeptase 40K IU
DB Nattokinase 2000 FU
DB Proteolytic Enzymes (1 cap)
DB Quercetin / Bromelain (1 or 2)

Around 9am, without food,
DB L-Theanine 150mg
Now D3 5000 IU
B-100 Complex (currently NatureMade)
Now Butcher's Broom

Around noon, after eating,
American Health Esther-C 500mg
Healthy Origins MegaNatural-BP Grape seed 150mg
Natures Bounty Cold Water Salmon Oil 1000mg - Switching to Now soon
Now Ubiquinol CoQH-CF 50mg

Around 4pm,
Now Taurine 500mg
Now St. John's Wort 300mg
Natures Bounty Acidophilus
Spring Valley Odorless Garlic 100 to 1 extract 10mg
Natures Bounty Curcumin 450mg - just ran out of Now Brand

Around 7:30pm, after eating,
Healthy Origins Astaxanthin 4mg
DB Trans-Reservatrol 100mg
DB 100% Chelated Magnesium 200mg Elemental
Centrum Silver - thinking of changing to a multi mineral

Around 10pm,
DB Saw Palmetto 320mg
Sundown Naturals Milk Thistle Xtra 240mg - will switch brands soon
Osteo Bi-Flex Double Strength (1 caplet)

Around 1am, before sleeping,
Natures Bounty Green Tea 315mg - switching to Now EGCg 400mg
Now Chromium Picolinate 200mcg
Natures Bounty Melatonin 1.5 mg (3mg broke in half)
Zoloft 50mg

Due to a recent very severe thigh cramp during sleep with a repeat a few hours later (after I had run out of bananas for 2 days) I added a few 595mg Potassium Gluconate pills throughout the day.

To decrease nausea and aid digestion, I also take 1 or 2 of these randomly before taking other supplements and/or before meals:
Now Slippery Elm 400mg
Now Ginger Root 550mg
Natures Way Marshmallow Root 480mg

Finally, I add 400mg of Echinacea occasionally... usually 1 week on, 1 week off.

Please let me know if you see any issues, or have any recommendations.

Thanks very much for taking the time to consider my situation! :thanks:

SevenWonders

Original Poster
Thanks Mindy, although I'm not sure what you had intended for me to take from that. I don't have time to read all of those books, but I'm sure you can see by my supplement list that I do agree with Hoffer's basic premise of Orthomolecular Medicine (that Natural substances can achieve the same results as drugs.)

Does anyone have any insight into how the supplements within my groups interact, or recommendations for more effective groupings?

Thanks again! :wave:

Mindy

Mrs

Sorry bout that. He talks about Hypertension in this paper. I should have pointed that out.

Blessings,

M

Cookie

Lovin' life~
Hello SevenWonders, welcome to NMT :wave:
Unfortunately, I can't help with your original request for guidance on the LARGE amount of supplements you consume as I only take a couple on & off.. Do you suppose the nausea you're experiencing could be due to one or more of the supplements?
I'm sorry for your losses. I hope you can find the strength to explore ways to help you adjust to what has happened. There are natural ways to help you reverse that Panic Disorder you developed. Gardening is a very good one :D Simple Yoga is another as it teaches you deep breathing exercises & there's usually programs you can tune into on TV or DVDs you can borrow from the library.

Love love love that you have a veggie garden! What did you plant this year?

I have lost 35 pounds since then, due to planting and enjoying a large veggie garden this year. In addition to the details above, I also developed Panic Disorder after dealing with some traumatic family deaths. Additionally, after a difficult few months this year, I had been experiencing some late morning and early afternoon nausea, so I recently added a few supplements to help with that. Fortunately, I have not had any issues with these, but I do have a family history of Heart Disease and Diabetes.

SevenWonders

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply Cookie :D

I was beginning to think that the Forum was no longer welcoming new members,
or perhaps I should have titled it "Stump the Experts" :lol: (Just kidding.)

I know it is a large amount of supplements for the average person to sort out,
which is why I am asking for assistance. I do think it is entirely possible that the nausea could be attributed to a supplement or one of the combinations. I tried eliminating them one at a time for a few days each, and I have recombined them several times, but I never really figured out "the" problem. Some of it is likely anxiety as well. I am hoping that someone who really knows how supplements interact will notice something that I am doing wrong.

As far as the garden, we went nuts this year. I was fed up (so to speak) with all of the Genetically Modified junk they are feeding us these days, so I decided to at least take control of some of it. We started with 24 different types of tomatoes (29 plants total) but I have made second generations of several of them from cuttings, which put us at 37 plants!

We also planted 5 kinds of zucchini, plus squash, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, spinach, onions, yellow and red potatoes, cucumbers, several types of lettuce, cabbage, napa, bok choi, eggplant, asparagus, artichoke, daikon, soybeans, sugar snap peas, yellow and red peppers, garlic, cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon, and 5 herbs. :yum:

So, considering all of the watering, pruning, weeding, harvesting and eating, it was very easy to lose weight this year! (Well, I also have a FT job and I take care of 6 lawns, and 3 different sets of kitties as well.) We recently planted more veggies for the fall, so it should continue nicely. I am now about 15 lbs above my ideal weight, so guess I'll have to come up with a plan to stabilize before long.

Thanks again Cookie :wave:

jfh

perpetual student
I was beginning to think that the Forum was no longer welcoming new members,
or perhaps I should have titled it "Stump the Experts" :lol: (Just kidding.)
More like "stump the experts", though we are not really experts as much as we have a lot of experience. Several of us take large quantities and varieties of supplement. You appear to be very disciplined, certainly in contrast to me.

I can't see anything in your list that would make me nauseated. I do get nauseated when I take minerals on an empty stomach, except magnesium.

Instead of Centrum, I would recommend a new brand that I've been using. I'm impressed with their Alive! line of products. Check out their multivitamins as well as their single supplements. https://www.iherb.com/Nature-s-Way/Alive-Multi-Vitamin Seems to be whole food, instead of synthetics. I'm showing you iHerb, because I like them for online buying. I have found Alive! locally though.

Second to Natures Way, I very much like this multivitamin https://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Adam-Superior-Men-s-Multi-120-Tablets/380?at=0

SevenWonders

Original Poster
Instead of Centrum, I would recommend a new brand that I've been using. I'm impressed with their Alive! line of products. Check out their multivitamins as well as their single supplements. https://www.iherb.com/Nature-s-Way/Alive-Multi-Vitamin Seems to be whole food, instead of synthetics. I'm showing you iHerb, because I like them for online buying. I have found Alive! locally though.

Second to Natures Way, I very much like this multivitamin https://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Adam-Superior-Men-s-Multi-120-Tablets/380?at=0
Thanks for the feedback and the suggestion.
I have been considering Alive! and I'll take a look at Adam, as I like Now products as well. Yes, I like iHerb - the function their site provides to search by condition and the user reviews are largely responsible for converting me from a 15 pill per day person into the Supp-Junkie I am today! :lol:

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
Please do dump the centrum. Add trace minerals or mineral complex.

Regarding zoloft.... as a nurse for a long time I seriously recommend that you find your way off of this drug.

please research GABA. It can take care of panic disorder for many people.
I do not approve of St Johns wort either, especially for someone who spends so much time outside. It is a photo sensitive compound. Look into SAMe instead.

Between SAMe and GABA your panic issuse may fade away.

Butchers broom is fine for your veins but you need to up your vitamin c to 4,000 mg a day, divide the dose if you want. This will take care of your veins and is good for heart disease also. The very best way to take vitamin c is in the lipsomal form which you can either purchase at www.livonlabs.com or www.letstalkhealth.com or you can make it yourself. Search "making lipsomal C" and you will find instructions. The extra lecithin may also help your mood too. I've been making now for a month and am very pleased with it. If I dont get sufficient vitamin c to my vericosed vessels I get pain, and this was huge issue for me until I figured it out.

These supplements should not be giving you stomach disorder. Something else is going on here. You can take ginger in pills but you may find that just ginder tea works better. There is also peppermint tea that can be very effective for all kinds of stomach distress.

Try a vacation from your pills for a few days to rule out that they are the cause of the issue. You need to know for sure. if nausea continues then you know and you need to seek the cause of this situation. look to see if zoloft can cause this.
If you stop zoloft do it gradually... decreasing dosage over a couple of weeks!
Never cold turkey an antidepressant... and have your subsitute ready to go.

SevenWonders

Original Poster
Regarding zoloft.... as a nurse for a long time I seriously recommend that you find your way off of this drug...
please research GABA. It can take care of panic disorder for many people.

I do not approve of St Johns wort either, especially for someone who spends so much time outside. It is a photo sensitive compound. Look into SAMe instead.

Butchers broom is fine for your veins but you need to up your vitamin c to 4,000 mg a day...

These supplements should not be giving you stomach disorder. Something else is going on here.

If you stop zoloft do it gradually... decreasing dosage over a couple of weeks! Never cold turkey an antidepressant... and have your subsitute ready to go.
Thanks very much for all of the information! :thumbsup:

I had been on paxil, but after having a panic attack that would NOT stop (took about an hour!) in April, I immediately ordered a bunch of things from iHerb. I was really struggling, so I took too much of everything (5htp, gaba, valerian, theanine, taurine, True Calm, Natra Sleep, Calm & Calmer) in an effort to try to make it through a shift without having another attack, and I turned myself into a zombie. I was still having attacks despite barely being conscious, so I ended up going on 100mg of zoloft. Once I started to calm down, I tapered down to 50 mg, but I added the St John's Wort to "replace" the zoloft, since they both increase seratonin levels. It was my intention to add another dose of the SJW and stop the zoloft (taper of course.) Do you have other reservations about the SJW aside from the photosensitivity issue? When I work outside for more than about an hour, the only skin showing is my nose - I wear long sleeves, long pants, gloves, hat and cover my neck. And since I started taking Astaxanthin, I barely get any tan and have not burned at all this year.

Thanks for mentioning GABA - I will try to work it in again.
What do you think about adding other amino acids like glycine?
Should I try to take GABA with Taurine and Theanine?

SAM-e... WOW, that is expensive, even at iHerb!
I will research it... if it can get me off of the zoloft and help me to feel normal, it would be worth it.

It seems that many people are recommending more C in general -
I will start to increase it and check into the liposomal form.

I am not experiencing the nausea as often now - I think it is mainly from anxiety, as eliminating each supplement for a few days didn't seem to make a difference.

Thanks again for your time and ideas - I really appreciate it! :wave:

jfh

perpetual student
SAM-e... WOW, that is expensive, even at iHerb!
I will research it... if it can get me off of the zoloft and help me to feel normal, it would be worth it.
You could try TMG https://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-TMG-500-500-mg-120-Easy-Solv-Tablets/141?at=0 Uses different pathway as SamE, but works for most. And promotes stomach acid too.

The mechanisms of action of SAMe and TMG are quite different. Most of our methyl groups come from dietary methionine. The methionine is converted to SAMe in a reaction with magnesium, ATP,
methionine-adenosyl-transferase, and water. SAMe is a relatively unstable carrier of methyl groups and is the primary source of methyl for most reactions in the body. Once the methyl group has been donated, the residual molecule is s-adenosyl-homocysteine which converts to homocysteine. TMG (betaine) is a biochemical which can donate a methyl group to homocysteine, thus converting it back to methionine. The TMG route is secondary to the 5-methyl-tetrahydrofolate/B-12 reaction which the primary route for restoring methionine. Methionine and SAMe supplements directly introduce new methyl groups into the body. TMG can provide a methyl group only to the extent that there is insufficient folate/B-12 to do the job. In some persons, the methylation effect of TMG is very minimal. In addition, persons who are undermethylated have a SAM cycle which is "spinning very slowly", much like a superhighway with little traffic. The answer for them is NOT to more efficiently convert the small amount of homocysteine to methionine (using TMG), but rather to directly introduce more methionine or SAMe into the body. A small percentage of persons with sufficient dietary methionine cannot efficiently produce SAMe --- These persons need supplemental SAMe, and not methionine or TMG and are the exception to the rule. In most other cases, methionine supplements alone are sufficient. TMG is a great way to treat individuals with dangerously high homocysteine levels. TMG can be very useful in augmenting methionine therapy along with B-6/P-5-P , serine, etc. The challenge is to supply enough methyl groups to help the patient, without creating dangerously high levels of homocysteine. Use of TMG is an "insurance policy" against this happening. (Jan 22, 2003)
https://www.alternativementalhealth.com/articles/walshQZ.htm
You could also try Ashwagandha, which promotes production of GABA in the brain.

ladybird191281

I too take a lot of supplements and with my recent discovery of iHerb, the amount is definitely going to increase! I also struggle with nausea and have wondered if it is a result of taking supplements; not so much the supplements themselves but the number of pills I ingest at one time. Eating something beforehand seems to help, but as I am gluten-intolerant (and continue to eat things I shouldn't) and also have a "nervous stomach", I feel like eating sometimes exacerbates the problem.

My current regimen consists of:

-Acidophilus+Bifidus -Evening Primrose Oil
-Fish Oil
-Flaxseed Oil
-Glucosamine+Chondroitin
-Melatonin
-Olive Leaf
-Oregano Oil
-Rhodiola Rosea
-Spirulina
-B Complex
-C
-Calcium+D
-Iron
-Plantiva AllerDX
-Plantiva ColdDX
-Plantiva ImmuneDX

I plan on adding these soon:
-Bilberry
-Coconut Oil
-Echinacea
-GABA (anxiety)
-Lobelia (asthma)
-Lutein
-White Willow Bark (migraine)
-Zinc (ADHD)

I REALLY want to try Sea Buckthorn Oil, but it’s on the expensive side, so I’ve decided to hold off on that for now.

Something I was told by a vitamin sales representative last year has stuck with me. He said that our bodies get accustomed to supplements over time and as a result our bodies stop experiencing the full benefits of them. He recommended skipping 1 or 2 days a week, in theory giving my body a chance to "appreciate" the supplements I take. Plus it gives my liver a break. I take my supplements M-Tu-Th-F and take the rest of the days "off".

I recently went through basic training (Army) and was prescribed Zofran for nausea and vomiting. I had a lot of gastrointestinal issues while I was there, including a peptic ulcer, and this stuff was amazing. You might want to look into it.

Good luck! :D

Last edited:

jfh

perpetual student
Something I was told by a vitamin sales representative last year has stuck with me. He said that our bodies get accustomed to supplements over time and as a result our bodies stop experiencing the full benefits of them. He recommended skipping 1 or 2 days a week, in theory giving my body a chance to "appreciate" the supplements I take. Plus it gives my liver a break. I take my supplements M-Tu-Th-F and take the rest of the days "off".
That's a good idea. I've practiced that for decades. I take supplements on weekdays and give myself a break on weekends. This is true for antibiotic supplements as well, such as olive leaf extract, oil of oregano, coconut oil. Some definitely should only be taken for a short period like only a month, then take a break - yucca root, licorice root, pau d'arco, chaparral.. Those can affect the kidneys. It has to do with pathogen resistance. Just like pharmaceutical antibiotics.

SevenWonders

Original Poster
That's a good idea. I've practiced that for decades. I take supplements on weekdays and give myself a break on weekends...
Does that apply to all supplements?
What about things that I take for vericose veins and circulation,
like Nattokinase, Butcher's Broom, Garlic, Horse Chestnut...?

What about Ginger?

Thanks!

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus

Now D3 5000 IU

Spring Valley Odorless Garlic 100 to 1 extract 10mg

Sundown Naturals Milk Thistle Xtra 240mg - will switch brands soon

Zoloft 50mg

Due to a recent very severe thigh cramp during sleep with a repeat a few hours later (after I had run out of bananas for 2 days) I added a few 595mg Potassium Gluconate pills throughout the day.
Hmmmm............

You can double your D no problem

Mag should help with leg cramps, surprised you're getting them. Water? Blood clot?

Dump the odorless garlic, it's not doing anything. Fresh garlic or forget it.

Check your fish oil label for DHA and EPA amounts. Research and compare. Costco fish oil is a ripoff, but the encentric coated Costco is worth the $.
I take the Yarrows.

Milk thistle is supposed to help recycle antioxidants; I recently started taking it.

Isn't zoloft a prescription antidepressant? Does your Doc know you're taking St Johns Wort too?

SevenWonders

Original Poster
Hmmmm............

You can double your D no problem

Mag should help with leg cramps, surprised you're getting them. Water? Blood clot?

Dump the odorless garlic, it's not doing anything. Fresh garlic or forget it.

Check your fish oil label for DHA and EPA amounts. Research and compare.

Isn't zoloft a prescription antidepressant? Does your Doc know you're taking St Johns Wort too?
Thanks for the reply!

I'll consider the D3 dosage.

Fortunately, the leg cramps were a one time thing -
no bananas for 2 days, not enough water that evening, and salty snacks before sleeping.

Why do you think the garlic is useless?

Just switched to Now Salmon Oil.

Yes, Zoloft is a drug. I added the SJW and cut the Zoloft dose in half.
Plan to taper it down to nothing and increase the SJW.
They both increase seratonin. I did not discuss with Dr., but did some research and read that people have made the same transition without problems.

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus
I believe odorless garlic supplements have proven ineffective. Something about the volatile portion being responsible for the benefit.

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]The dietary supplement industry is such a mixed bag these days. It has such promise, but often fails to deliver. For example, garlic pills were once the number one herbal supplement. But studies showed most garlic pills failed to deliver the active ingredient produced by fresh-crushed garlic cloves. Subsequently garlic pills fell from their top-seller spot. Turns out that stomach acid destroys the enzyme (alliinase) that produces the active ingredient allicin. Only if a garlic clove is crushed outside the acidic stomach is allicin produced. Only enteric-coated or buffered garlic tablets produce what a fresh-crushed clove of garlic delivers. [/FONT]
https://www.lewrockwell.com/sardi/sardi175.html

Salmon Oil Concentrate 2.0 g

Omega-3-Fatty Acids 400 mg

EPA 240 mg

DHA 160 mg

Not terrible, but I'd still make sure to shop potency VS price. Lately more emphasis has been placed on the longer chain DHA over the shorter EPA. Your body can convert DHA to EPA.

Good job making the switch from Pharma to nature based on your own research. :D

SevenWonders

Original Poster
I believe odorless garlic supplements have proven ineffective. Something about the volatile portion being responsible for the benefit. https://www.lewrockwell.com/sardi/sardi175.html

Salmon Oil Concentrate ... Lately more emphasis has been placed on the longer chain DHA over the shorter EPA. Your body can convert DHA to EPA.

Good job making the switch from Pharma to nature based on your own research. :D
Thanks for the additional info!
I put some enteric coated Garlic in my iHerb cart ;)

Next time I order Salmon Oil, I'll look at that more closely.

Yes, I always try to avoid Pharma whenever possible!

ladybird191281

That's a good idea. I've practiced that for decades. I take supplements on weekdays and give myself a break on weekends. This is true for antibiotic supplements as well, such as olive leaf extract, oil of oregano, coconut oil. Some definitely should only be taken for a short period like only a month, then take a break - yucca root, licorice root, pau d'arco, chaparral.. Those can affect the kidneys. It has to do with pathogen resistance. Just like pharmaceutical antibiotics.
Do you have a comprehensive list of antibiotic supplements? I've tried looking for one online without any luck...

jfh

perpetual student
Do you have a comprehensive list of antibiotic supplements? I've tried looking for one online without any luck...
Only from experience and research. My favorites.

Oil of oregano
Olive leaf extract
Pau D'arco
Chaparral
Andrographis
Colloidal silver
Garlic
Coconut oil
Mega dose vitamin C and D
Turmeric (curcumin)

Those are my more common ones. Then there's

Manuka honey
Echinacea (but need to take a lot)
Goldenseal (but currently endangered)
Grapefruit seed extract (low on my list)
Ginger
Cat's claw
Ozone
Apple cider vinegar (seldom works for me)

My grandmother used to give us a spoonful of castor oil in orange juice when something started. She said bad health starts in the colon. Castor oil definitely does the trick.

And probiotics. Friendly bacteria produce acids that will kill many bad microbes. Most important for long term.

crosscubes

Seven Wonders ~
I did not take time to read everything that everyone else wrote in response. Although you don't want to take the time to read "books," there is one book you need as a resource; at least this one. To answer your question about combining things, would require someone with about the same knowledge as a nutritionist, or someone else who would be willing to do the research that you don't want to do (for lack of time, or whatever reason). However, The Balches' book, Prescription for Nutritional Healing, is the one book you need to check on much of what you are taking.

I have compared many different multiple vitamins and seen only two with formulas I liked. One was what my acupuncturist used and recommended, and the other was Shaklee, much less cost than that of the acupuncturist's multiple. The reason I like them is because the B vitamins are in such a good balance. The Balches wrote in their book, if those B vitamins are not in a good balance, the body kicks them out. I know this sounds so odd, but that's what they wrote, and I have heard this from another nutritionist also. No one needs to have 6666% of the DVA for one B vitamin, and then have only 10-15% of the B vitamin Biotin. The body makes some of its own Biotin, but the DVA, unless they have changed it, is 300 mcg, not 10 or 15. It's these weird combinations for B vitamins which makes me see a red flag whenever I check a formula.

Minerals are extremely important as is the EFA proper combo. A good multiple will have a good balance of minerals, or at least some calcium.
I am not trying to spam here, but we are talking about what is healthy, and what works, and there is nothing I know of like the Shaklee products for knowing what works, particularly because they have had over 70 articles regarding a specific Shaklee product, published in medical (like JAMA) and scientific (like a NASA publication) journals! Such articles are not easily published in such journals.
Some people have a difficult time when beginning any supplementation, but some people have a difficult time (nausea) due to the things used in a multiple, like the binding agent.
Regarding combining, I would suggest you get the Balches book, and look up each supplement you can find listed. The only thing that comes to my mind, i.e., that I remember having seen, is that often iron needs to be taking at a different time from some other supplement, but I don't remember which. Usually, I think it is just taking by itself or with whatever else helps with its absorption.
Best wishes ~

ladybird191281

Only from experience and research. My favorites.

Oil of oregano
Olive leaf extract
Pau D'arco
Chaparral
Andrographis
Colloidal silver
Garlic
Coconut oil
Mega dose vitamin C and D
Turmeric (curcumin)

Those are my more common ones. Then there's

Manuka honey
Echinacea (but need to take a lot)
Goldenseal (but currently endangered)
Grapefruit seed extract (low on my list)
Ginger
Cat's claw
Ozone
Apple cider vinegar (seldom works for me)

My grandmother used to give us a spoonful of castor oil in orange juice when something started. She said bad health starts in the colon. Castor oil definitely does the trick.

And probiotics. Friendly bacteria produce acids that will kill many bad microbes. Most important for long term.
Ah! Thank you! :thanks: