psyllium seed husk alternative

ron45

Anyone know of a cheaper alternative to psyllium husk powder? I am currently mixing it with organic oat bran as a bulking agent. The per pound price is up around 9 bux a pound.

Ron

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Anyone know of a cheaper alternative to psyllium husk powder? I am currently mixing it with organic oat bran as a bulking agent. The per pound price is up around 9 bux a pound.

Ron
Hi Ron, I don't know of a cheaper alternative. I found the best price was at Walmart on their 'equate' brand. It's a 3lb. .2oz container for $6.00+. Better than the prices at the big club stores like Costco.

ron45

Original Poster
Ary you talking about Metamucil? Or something else called psyllium whatever. My wallmart has metamucil and that's just powdered psyllium husks. I hadn't thought of that product.

Ron

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Ary you talking about Metamucil? Or something else called psyllium whatever. My wallmart has metamucil and that's just powdered psyllium husks. I hadn't thought of that product.

Ron
I'm talking about the Walmart brand of 'Metamucil', "Equate". It is 100% natural psyllium husk fiber. The container is 114 tablespoon doses, 48.2oz. Aside from capsules of this product from other companies, which are over-priced, this is the only one I'm familiar with, and I can personally recommend to those interested.

jfh

perpetual student
I like their "Equate Clear Soluble Fiber Powder" better. It is a soluble fiber that mixes invisibly in water or other liquid. Psyllium gives me too much gas. Metamucil is disgusting when it expands before I eat it. It gives me the gag reflex. Then I just stop using it. The ingredient is dextrin - with less than 20ppm gluten.

ron45

Original Poster
I like their "Equate Clear Soluble Fiber Powder" better. It is a soluble fiber that mixes invisibly in water or other liquid. Psyllium gives me too much gas. Metamucil is disgusting when it expands before I eat it. It gives me the gag reflex. Then I just stop using it. The ingredient is dextrin - with less than 20ppm gluten.
For me, dextrin is getting a little more distant from food than I like. I realize it's common constituent of starchy foods.

I did get some of walmart's equate psyllium and wouldn't you know it, it's got sugar and salt in it. Not much maybe but you have to wonder what the hell they are thinking. By now everyone should know that there is more than enough of that stuff everywhere in commercial the food chain. I guess the sugar and salt slugs just want to keep dipping their greedy beaks.

Even the ground psyllium husks are a part of a whole food. I wonder what they do with the seeds. I haven't noticed gas from using it but I just mix it dry in to the oat bran mixture I make.

Ron

ron45

Original Poster
Well normally I'd agree on that one. It was a while before I went WAIT! This came form walmart and read more of the label. 4 GRAMS OF SUGAR PER TEASPOON!! I don't see how they can fit any psyllium in there with that much sugar. 5mg. of salt. I say again, only now I'm fuming, what do they need sugar and salt in a bulking agent for!! This is a third world company operating in NJ, and they are going to hear from me on monday. In the big print is says, in the largest letters on the bottle except for the product name, 100% Natural Psyllium Husk Fiber. This is why I maintain that marketing is a lying. Pure and simple. At least I hadn't thrown away the receipt. Back it goes. I'd rather pay 9 dollars that support this kind of biddnis.

These customer service slugs will say, " Oh sir, we didn't mean to imply that the product was 100% natural psyllium. We meant that the fiber was 100% percent natural. So sorry" This kind of misleading bullshit is what made amerika what it is today. What is needed is a couple of million matrix angry citizens in the streets with signs saying LET THE BIDDNIS BEWARE!

Ron

Last edited:

Ardhoniel

Ok, I'm confused now :(
I'm doing a candida cleanse (starting in little over a week) and I need psyllium husk, but I can't have ANY sugar!! What do I do?!

jfh

perpetual student
The Wal-Mart Equate brand that we've been talking about has 0g sugar. Should not be a problem for you. Also, consider flax seed for fiber and omega3.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Some natural health food stores sell psyllium husk in bulk, and that should not have any other ingredients added.

jbo

I used to buy psyllium husk from swanson vitamins.

Just becareful taking it with other stuff as a lot of things don't absorb when you take it with psyllium husk. It was actually brought to my attention on this board and my father suffers from high blood pressure and he kept seeing his doctor about his blood pressure issue. Finally figured out that the psyllium husk was preventing the absorption of this medicine. I'm just glad he figured it out after months and months of having an issue with his blood pressure

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Good point Jbo. Any fiber will affect the intake of medications. I think it's recommended to take around 4 hours apart. Same as Activated Charcoal, etc. Hope your Dad is doing okay.