Proof of benefits of intermitent fasting

jfh

perpetual student
Staff member

Intermittent fasting can keep the body ‘young’ at a cellular level. Researchers at Harvard found that temporarily restricting diet keeps the mitochondria – an important part of the cell to health aging – in homeostasis, which in turn helps to improve lifespan
. Last year, Newcastle University research confirmed the crucial role of the mitochondria in human cell aging, and therefore, the aging of our bodies. Mitochondria break down carbohydrates and fatty acids, giving energy to the cell. For this reason, they are often referred to as the ‘powerhouses’ of our cells. The Newcastle University researchers found that without their aged mitochondria, cells appeared younger. Mitochondria exist in two states, and when they are alternating appropriately between these two states, they are in homeostasis. The Harvard researchers found that mitochondria stay in homeostasis better when an organism – in their study, a nematode worm – has an intermittently restricted diet. At the same time, being able to swing as they’re supposed to from one state to the other is key to the longevity-enhancing effects of intermittent fasting. The researchers also found that intermittent fasting helped to coordinate the activities of the mitochondria with peroxisomes, other cell parts that have an antioxidant effect and contribute to longevity. This newfound understanding of how fasting works at a cellular level could be a key to discovering therapies that could be beneficial to extending life expectancy and keeping the body younger.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5055701/Fasting-extend-life-aging.html

Fasting is the new juicing lately, as celebrities like Benedict Cumberbatch and, reportedly, Beyonce and Silicon Valley executives alike extol the virtues of the 5:2 diet, which involves normal eating habits for five days a week, but dramatically reduce intake on the other two days.

jlilly

due to change in my work timings, my am skipping my meals, and there is a gap of at least 12-14 hours of gap between meals - which is more or less an intermitent fasting. i see myself loosing weight. i now want to stick to the interval for 2-3 months to see to what level i can continue put-off.

loosing weight - that is good to see. however, i just wondering that should not back fire any health issues. any suggestions?

Last edited:

jfh

perpetual student
Staff member
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, according to nutritionists. I have been skipping breakfast for over 20 years. My last meal of the day is about 6 pm. My first meal of the day is around 11 am. I guess that first meal is my break-fast very delayed. I do drink coffee earlier than 11 am. But that coffee is industrial strength, nothing added. Sometimes I substitute that with green tea.

I do take a lot of vitamins and supplements at my first meal and at dinnertime. That should supplement any dietary exclusions of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and other nutrients.

I've always been skinny. Always. I'm still alive. I'm 70 and my normal weight is 150lbs. More or less.

For me. I find it better to delay breakfast, rather than skip lunch.

I have a friend, who is type 2 diabetic. He seems to have a problem with weight, which is likely why he is diabetic. He is getting better control of his weight and health after a few months of Keto Diet. He normally grazes during the day. Nutritionists say that it is more healthy to eat 5 small meals during the day (grazing) to balance the sugar.

Good luck with your experiment. I think it will really help you.