Pregnant.. Help!

bipolarmom

I just found out on Thursday that I am 4 weeks pregnant. I stopped all of my supplements except a multivitamin and fish oil, but I am afraid to stop vitex and maca. I know they balance hormones and I am afraid if I stop it will shock my body and cause something to go wrong.

I have heard of women who continue both maca and vitex until the end of the first trimester.. Is this okay? I cut the doses down on both. I'm at 1/2 tsp maca a day now and 2 400 mg vitex capsules. I would like to cut down further to 1/4 tsp maca and only 1 vitex capsule in a week or two so that I'm taking the minimal amounts. But I am terrified to stop them completely.

Please help!

bipolarmom

Original Poster
This is my plan right now. I want to stop because I'm scared to keep taking them, but I'm also scared to stop.. I am thinking cut my dose down to 1/4 tsp maca and 1 capsule vitex on Thursday, then the following Thursday cut down to 1/2 capsule vitex but leave the maca the same.. then the following week stop the vitex and cut the maca down to 1/8 tsp and then the next week stop the maca(I'll be 8 weeks at that point).. Is this ok? I am very nervous.

BigAl

Bipolarmom, congratulations. I am happy for you.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Congratulations bipolarmom! I don't know much about vitex or maca, but liverock gave some good advice. Best wishes coming your way. :girl_hug:

mommysunshine

Are you estrogen dominant? Did you have fertility issues? It's imortant to have enough progesterone while you're pregnant for the baby to go full term. Most adaptogens are safe during pregnancy like Maca but please confirm this from other sources. Maca is simply a root vegetable from Peru that has the ablitly to help balance the hormonal system but it doesn't have any hormones in it. It's wonderful that you're going to have a baby. Good times ahead for you.

jbo

My wife is about 4 months pregnant right now. I would recommend a prenatal vitamin prenatal vitamins with dha over multivitamin or other supplements. Personally that's the only thing I would take the first trimester. Of course you probably already know this, but folic acid is really important.

Even if sites say taking something is safe I think your better off holding off until your second trimester. The majority of miscarriages happen the first trimester, it's about 80% of them. So I would rather be safe than sorry and personally I would second think taking anything the first trimester.

My wife was drinking green tea everyday and cut it out her first trimester. There's millions born from mothers who smoked, drank alcohol, drank coffee and tea. But if I know something might not be good for my unborn child I'd rather not take something. So if you are unsure about the safety I would not take it and for sure not your first trimester. You should also check with your practitioner

bipolarmom

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I know it is not "recommended" but I've also heard of many women who stopped taking maca or vitex upon learning they were pregnant and went on to miscarry soon after. I am down to a very low amount of both as of today and will be off them completely within the next two weeks(by 7 weeks pregnant).

aonportal

During pregnancy it would be always better and ideal to consult with Doc to continue with medicine that are regularly taken or stop any of them so that it will not harm to kid.

jesichashope

Always research what you take or want to take and see what experts in that particular field say about it. OB-GYN's don't always know about supplements, herbs or natural foods and what they will or will not do for you and your baby.

I was bit by a cat once at four months gestation - the doctor said the tetanus shot was needed and would not harm the baby - she was born with quarter club feet and learned after the fact the shot was known to cause defects. My lesson one.
My next baby, the doctor told me I did not need anything extra although I had just been through a very stressful experience with a house fire and nearly losing my 18 month old in the fire. Stress depletes you have vitamin B's - but the doctor said I was okay. This baby was born depleted of Biotin - he had severe infantile apnea. Lesson Two
Another baby - I was told to use more soy to balance the hormones and makes your body feel better during pregnancy - at five months gestation the placenta let go and we lost the baby. The soy raised the hormone levels too much and aborted the baby as we discover after the fact. Lesson Three
I never listen to the doctors, I research for myself. If he says one thing, I go and research it. Future pregnancies were uneventful until the event of birth. As it should be. I think you are doing what is best; wean off of it, sudden hormone changes are not good.
I send you blessings on the new baby.

bipolarmom

Original Poster
Hey, the pregnancy went good. I stopped both around 8 weeks pregnant because I was too sick to stand taking them anymore.

Baby is 6 months old now, big and healthy boy!