natural remedies for receding gums

jfh

perpetual student
Having an issue with receding gums can be a really painful indicator that your oral health is declining. Unfortunately, some of us just don’t have the genetics for healthy gums and teeth, which makes them much harder to maintain. When your gums start receding, that makes way for new gaps in your mouth and your teeth, which can make your mouth more prone to the buildup of harmful bacteria. If this buildup goes unaddressed, this could ultimately lead to gum decay, tooth decay, and even tooth loss. One of the primary causes of gum recession besides the major factor of your genetics and overall oral health, is brushing too aggressively.

Luckily, there are some really simple, natural methods that you can use to preserve your gum tissue and therefore your overall oral health.

Since 30% of the population is already predisposed to getting gum disease, it is in all of our best interests to do everything that we can to prevent bacteria buildup in our mouth and preserve our gums.

Here are 4 natural ways that you can repair and preserve your gums.

1) Green Tea

Did you know that the daily consumption of green tea is really effective in preserving your gum health? A recent study was published by the American Dental Association that found that drinking green tea daily can greatly benefit the health of your teeth and gums. See if you can start drinking 1-2 cups of green tea in the morning or in the evening, to start helping your teeth and gums.

2) Aloe Vera

Aloe vera isn’t just great for your skin, it happens to be really healthy for your gums too. A recent study that was published by the Journal of the Indian Society of Periodontology evaluated 15 people that used aloe vera as a means for alleviating pain caused by a variety of gum diseases. The researchers found that when aloe vera gel was applied to the affected gums, pain and visible signs of periodontal disease were considerably reduced.

Don’t worry about applying aloe vera gel or cream straight to your gums. There are plenty of toothpastes, mouthwashes, and even juices that have aloe vera in them, that will help your gums.

3) Eucalyptus

Not just for koalas, eucalyptus is another great element for preserving your gum health, battling gum disease, and reducing inflammation and pain in your gums. Apparently, eucalyptus is another natural combatant to oral bacteria. Don’t worry, we aren’t asking you to chew on leaves. We recommend using a couple of teaspoons of eucalyptus oil in a cup of warm water as a mouthwash for getting rid of bacteria.

4) Vitamin C

If you have been noticing some pink in the sink when you brush or floss, vitamin C has been tested as a great way to reduce gum inflammation, gum bleeding, and gum recession. Make sure that you are getting enough vitamin C in your diet, or take a vitamin C supplement if you aren’t getting enough of it through whole foods.

Other great ways of taking care of your gums and preventing gum disease include flossing and brushing daily, using mouthwash regularly, and brushing gently.

Source https://www.davidwolfe.com/4-natural-remedies-repair-gums/

JanH

Great info, jfh! A couple of other helpful products are NutriBiotic's MouthFresh citricidal mouthwash with grapefruit seed extract, aloe vera, and zinc. Also, if you have largish gaps between teeth and the usual interdental brushes aren't large enough to do a good job, a Swedish company Tepe has a wide array of sizes.

Nutribiotic.com
TepeUSA.com - in the U.S. or Tepe.com in other countries.

jfh

perpetual student
Original Poster
JanH, thanks for the tepeusa.com. I don't think I've seen their products in the stores. My problem is crowded teeth. I'm a mongrel, so I have English mouth and Dutch teeth. Interdental is not possible. Only floss works when it is strong and slippery.

JanH

Don't think Tepe is in stores anywhere. My hygienist and I were very upset awhile back when GUM wide proxabrushes suddenly became smaller, even while keeping the same description and part number! She heard about Tepe at a conference somewhere and the info has helped my mouth a lot.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Thanks for the info guys! Jfh, do you think just swishing a little with Lily of the Desert aloe juice while drinking it will help the gums, I always have some of that in the house? I have an aloe gel topical product, but somehow I doubt the aloe content and value in that gel.

Jan, I do use proxa brushes, and my back teeth are spaced more widely than my front, so I have a couple of sizes of brush I use. Thanks for the heads-up on Tepe, never heard of that company either.

jfh

perpetual student
Original Poster
Swishing Lily of the Valley should work very well. I've read this info elsewhere. Gums are skin. Aloe vera helps with skin problems. It is also digestible. I would not trust topical aloe vera products in my mouth.

I'm not confident of the green tea other than drinking. I would not trust it lingering in my mouth with all its tannins. Certainly, it would discolor the teeth. But drinking? Love it. Do it nearly every afternoon, when I'm home. I also mix peppermint powder and local natural honey.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Thanks Jfh, I'm not that happy with the gel products even on my skin like for sunburn, they sting and are harsh, I wonder how much aloe is even in there.

jaminhealth

Give Grape Seed Extract a good chance, I'm into my 24th year and gums are good and tight and healthy. And I'm 80.

And don't use hard brush and be more gentle on gums. I have found a great rubber (soft) and boy does it do a nice job. And I use coconut toothpaste which I make myself. One can buy but I enjoy making my own.

jaminhealth

Give Grape Seed Extract a good chance, I'm into my 24th year and gums are good and tight and healthy. And I'm 80.

And don't use hard brush and be more gentle on gums. I have found a great rubber (soft) and boy does it do a nice job. And I use coconut toothpaste which I make myself. One can buy but I enjoy making my own.
I've found a great Coconut Oil toothpaste by Now and no longer make my own...to some TP that I add to a small jar, I had a few drops of oil of oregano, and or clove oil and sometimes myrrh oil drops. Keeps mouth even healthier.