Natural Alternatives to Blood Thinners

vajra727

I recently had mitral valve repair on my heart. My doctor wants me on baby aspirin for the rest of my life. I do not agree. Aspirin can have lots of unwanted effects. Therefore, I have decided to go on nattokinase and garlic tabs instead. Has anyone else tried alternatives to blood thinners?

Last edited:

d0ug

Dr. Joel Wallach sued the FDA and won, to be able to say that essential fatty acids could prevent clot related stroke and heart attack. EFA will help dissolving blood clots.

jfh

perpetual student
The only known natural cure for thrombosis is nattokinase, so you are doing very well to take that. It is an enzyme, from fermented soybeans, that dissolves blood clots. This is better than aspirin and the common drugs.

Another very good enzyme is serrapeptase. It dissolves fibrin in the blood and also dissolves scar tissue in the blood vessels and elsewhere. Check into it as well.

I agree with d0ug too. I have read so much that omega 3 oils, such as fish oil, is excellent for the blood and the brain.

vajra727

Original Poster
Nattokinase

The main problem I am finding is there is no known dosage. I take 2,000 FU/day, hoping that will do the trick to keep clots from forming on my heart valve where is was repaired with gortex.

Hwkmn05

Im wondering if technically Natto dissolves blod clots? I know other meds for this chemically alter Vit K to prevent blood from clotting so how does natto differ from that?

jfh

perpetual student
Im wondering if technically Natto dissolves blod clots? I know other meds for this chemically alter Vit K to prevent blood from clotting so how does natto differ from that?
Natto is fermented soybeans. Unlike vitamin K, its central purpose is not to prevent blood from clotting. However, its normal function does break down the molecules of clotted blood. I guess that means it could be preventive in essence.

Some enzymes help break large molecules into smaller pieces that are more easily absorbed by the body. Other enzymes help bind two molecules together to produce a new molecule. Enzymes are highly selective catalysts, meaning that each enzyme only speeds up a specific reaction. So you ask if natto technically dissolve blood clots, I suppose it would be similar. The body should absorb the broken down molecules.

d0ug

Some of the drugs that disolve blood clots are costly and one called Urokinase for example, is active only for 4-20 minuets Nattokinase activates for 8-12 hours.
Dr Sumi studies dog causing blood clots and then giving 250mgcapsules of nattokinase X-rays showed the blood vessels were clot free in 5 hours.
In a human study they were given 200mg for four days and it decreased the average blood pressure 10.9% systolic and 9.7% diastolic.
There has been many studies that is does disolved blood clots and lowers blood pressure with no side effects the only warning is if you are taking blood thinners is might be over kill

Hwkmn05

jfh and dOug, thanks. I dont take a thinner now but would add this possibly as a preventive to clotting. BP is in check, but added supplement like this can only help.

jfh

perpetual student
For long term use, I use serrapeptase. BTW, if it end with "ase", it thins the blood.

Also, if you take more than 400mg of magnesium, you should note that in your wallet or purse. The emergency room needs to know, as more than that 400mg will thin the blood too.

Hwkmn05

I absolutely take more than 400mg of Mg. More like 600-1200mg, depending on the day and which vice Ive used or stress level that depletes my Mag levels. Last AF episode I took about 3000mg in Malate and Oil form in 5 hrs.