My dilemma with vitamin D

Audi

I have been taking vitamin D3 (derived from lanolin) it never raised my levels which is down it just made me irritable ,I'm thinking absorption problems. So I switched vegan D3 (derived from mushrooms) with the same results, they are both fat soluble.

I switched again to vitamin D2 (water soluble) there is no irritability and an immediate lift in mood which is short lived, I don't know if it's doing any good until I get tested for D levels.

I know D3 is the better option but it doesn't seem to work for me my body rejects it, I have tried taking it topically,with magnesium, with largest meal, with fat, to no avail.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Lilly-bo

I have been taking vitamin D3 (derived from lanolin) it never raised my levels which is down it just made me irritable ,I'm thinking absorption problems. So I switched vegan D3 (derived from mushrooms) with the same results, they are both fat soluble.

I switched again to vitamin D2 (water soluble) there is no irritability and an immediate lift in mood which is short lived, I don't know if it's doing any good until I get tested for D levels.

I know D3 is the better option but it doesn't seem to work for me my body rejects it, I have tried taking it topically,with magnesium, with largest meal, with fat, to no avail.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
I take Viridian D3 and it works well. I know if I don't have enough D3 when I get white spots on my lower arms

jaminhealth

I've been taking D3 of various bases and never a problem but I also take K2 and was taking it every day with D3 but now taking it every other day. I've been taking D3 since 2006 after years in the SUN. Now I kinda avoid too much sun. j

The two times I've tried to take D3, different brands, it caused constipation. Both brands did not have K2 so I don't know if the two combined would not cause constipation.

jaminhealth

Well, I have lived with a lifetime of sluggish bowels aka constipation and for the last 20 yrs or so take more magnesium citrate to keep nice and regular. D2 is the inferior form of Vit D and the one docs prescribe as it's a script for them. D3 is most helpful. So.....and drinking water all thru the day. And not cold water as cold stuff just freezes us up.

I am trying to find a vitamin D / K2 supplement that does not have artificial flavourings, artificial sweeteners, that is not oil based. I can't see to find any. The only one that seems to fit the bill is this one:

D3-K2

but it is sold out, can't find it on Amazon etc.

Does anyone know of any other brands that would fit the above description, I don't mind drops or capsules.

jaminhealth

I am trying to find a vitamin D / K2 supplement that does not have artificial flavourings, artificial sweeteners, that is not oil based. I can't see to find any. The only one that seems to fit the bill is this one:

D3-K2

but it is sold out, can't find it on Amazon etc.

Does anyone know of any other brands that would fit the above description, I don't mind drops or capsules.
That's a pretty pricey product, check ebay to see if they have it...I buy stuff on ebay. Glad I do well with what D3/K2 I use.

Rosiecont

I recommend eating more foods rich in vitamin D3, which can be better absorbed by the body. Some foods naturally contain vitamin D3. Fish and cod liver oil are rich in vitamin D3, especially tuna and salmon. Other foods such as egg yolks, cheese and beef liver also contain vitamin D3. Milk, juice, cereal, margarine and yoghurt are excellent sources of vitamin D3.

D Bergy

Some people just don’t absorb D very well.
The way I got mine up where I wanted was to simply take more of it. That was what my doctor recommended and it worked well.

I need to take 25,000 iu of D3 to achieve a blood level between 60 and 80 ng/mL

Of course you need to be tested fairly regularly to make sure it doesn’t get too high.

I also take K2, magnesium and a good whole food multivitamin.
Dan

I have worked up to 3 drops a day which is 1,000 iu and so far so good. I think the inclusion of K2 and magnesium is helping. I also am taking it with a teaspoon of coconut oil. I've only increased to 3 drops a day for several days, but have been on this for about 3 weeks. I am guessing it is too soon to be feeling any benefit? I was hoping it would help me with SAD which I get this time of year.

D Bergy

I never noticed any difference no matter what my D level was at. The research certainly indicates that low D is not desirable for general good health.

You may notice a difference though. We all respond differently.

Dan

jaminhealth

I recommend eating more foods rich in vitamin D3, which can be better absorbed by the body. Some foods naturally contain vitamin D3. Fish and cod liver oil are rich in vitamin D3, especially tuna and salmon. Other foods such as egg yolks, cheese and beef liver also contain vitamin D3. Milk, juice, cereal, margarine and yoghurt are excellent sources of vitamin D3.
Many of the foods you mention here, I would not touch. Margarine?????? Don't drink milk and don't eat cearals....

The fortified D foods have so little D in them and if one is very low the best is supplements of D3/K2 and major SUN.

jaminhealth

I never noticed any difference no matter what my D level was at. The research certainly indicates that low D is not desirable for general good health.

You may notice a difference though. We all respond differently.

Dan
I felt great when my low 16 in 2006 got to 80 and then with hip replacement in 2010, Vit D dropped 40 pts...so I've been working to get back to about 80, but still in the 50's...I had a set back in 2016 with knee staph infection and hospital/rehabs and was off D supps for some months, so this is a big factor in my D levels..

If one can spend hours/days in the sun that's the answer, before I came in from sun days at the beaches, I never had depression or issues...but when the D dropped a lowness hit me in 2006.