Mega dosing on Vitamin C

limitme

If I'm looking to mega dose on vitamin C to help ward off a cold or just for good health, does it matter what type of vitamin C? is the cheap ascorbic acid (purchased from Sams) just as effective as any other form of vitamin C?

I know its not as good as taking a food form (with all the great synergy effects) like camu camu or acerola cherries, but just compared to vitamin C intake where people have cured themselves of cancer and other diseases. Does it matter if its just ascorbic acid, or is it a different form?

thanks

jfh

perpetual student
Ascorbic acid has been used in all the clinical trials. It's even used in IV therapy. However, it should be as pure as possible. That is hard to tell for sure. Just realize that it is vitC is unstable when faced with heat, moisture, and light. Unstable means that it can become oxalic acid. So, you don't really know how much C you are taking or oxalic acid. Storage and transportation is critical.

Natural food also contains bioflavinoids which helps vitC to be far more bioavailable. So try to buy a supplement with this added.

limitme

Original Poster
Ascorbic acid has been used in all the clinical trials. It's even used in IV therapy. However, it should be as pure as possible. That is hard to tell for sure. Just realize that it is vitC is unstable when faced with heat, moisture, and light. Unstable means that it can become oxalic acid. So, you don't really know how much C you are taking or oxalic acid. Storage and transportation is critical.

Natural food also contains bioflavinoids which helps vitC to be far more bioavailable. So try to buy a supplement with this added.
Is ascorbic acid the cheapest form of vitamin C? Are ascorbic acid vitamin C that you recommend?

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I'm using Nature's Way vitamin C1000 with bioflavonoids, in capsule form (magnesium stearate). For mega dosing, you won't get the bioflavonoids with this product, but I've been very happy with the NOW brand of powdered supplements, which do not contain any added ingredients. Here's what I would use, and NOW is usually very reasonably priced.

• Item#: 0791
  • Manufacturer SKU: 733739007919

• Antioxidant Protection*
  • Ascorbic Acid
  • 100% Pure Powder
  • Pharmaceutical Grade (USP)
  • A Dietary Supplement
  • Vegetarian Product

Ascorbic Acid is another name for Vitamin C. Vitamin C is a popular antioxidant and one of the most widely used vitamins in the world. Fine Ascorbic Acid is a bioavailable form of Vitamin C in a powder form, so it can be combined with other powdered supplements or dissolved in liquid for easy ingestion.
From the FDA's website: "Some scientific evidence suggests that consumption of antioxidant vitamins may reduce the risk of certain forms of cancer. However, FDA has determined that this evidence is limited and not conclusive."

Serving Size: 1/2 Level Teaspoon (2.25 g)
Servings Per Container: 201

Amount Per Serving% Daily Value*Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) 2.25 g 3750% * Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet.
† Daily Value not established. Other Ingredients: None.

Suggested Usage: As a dietary supplement, take 1/2 level teaspoon 1 to 3 times daily, in juice or water. Consider taking this product in combination with NOW® Bioflavonoid Caps, Pycnogenol® and Alpha Lipoic Acid.

Contains no: sugar, salt, starch, yeast, wheat, gluten, soy, milk, egg, shellfish or preservatives. Vegetarian/Vegan Product.

Disclaimers: *This statement has not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

Store in a cool, dry place. Please Recycle.

This product is sold by weight not volume.

Fine Ascorbic Acid dissolves more readily in liquids than regular crystalline ascorbic acid. This product is Pharmaceutical Grade (USP).

PS: Here's a thread by Arrowwind09 that you may like to read.

jfh

perpetual student
I agree with k2c on the NOW brand especially with the bioflavonoids. Since you mentioned Wal-Mart, they do have the cheapest, but don't bother if they don't have any with the bioflavonoids. You will be wasting your money no matter how cheap. I believe that they have one with acerola cherries. Rose hips would be good too.

limitme

Original Poster
thanks for the info....I'll check out the vitacost.com website and see what they have with bioflavonoids. they seems to have good prices and they have cheap natural soap.

jfh

perpetual student
Just remember, it is still deep summer. Vitamin C can be ruined when transported in heat. Heat, water, and light are enemies of VitC.

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
Although bioflavinoids I agree are good, as jfh said, all the studies were done with pure ascorbic acid so you can anticipate excellent results with that alone and you will not be wasting your money if that is the kind of product you choose. You can find the most complete informaiton about vitamin c on the following website. I have been using pure vitamin c ascorbic acid for disease issues like colds and flu and it is excellent. You do need to take the dosage up to bowel tolerance though.

www.vitamincfoundation.org

If you really want to save money and have a product that is outstanding, that can bring vitamin c levels in the blood equal to that of an IV adminstration when taken orally you will make your own lipsomal vitamin c, or purchase it, which of course is more costly

I think the post just preceding mine is spam and Im sure that such type products are a pure waste of money

liverock

Your right the preceding post is SPAM :evil:. Dont anybody waste your money on Multi Level Marketing products, the cost is usually 90% commission to the distributors network.

[link removed]

jfh

perpetual student
Your right the preceding post is SPAM :evil:. Dont anybody waste your money on Multi Level Marketing products, the cost is usually 90% commission to the distributors network.
K2c must have deleted that "previous" post. I try to catch them myself. Liverock, that megac500 site gave my antivirus fits - bad ones, so I'm removing it. Sorry.

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
This is a slight tangent, but when I lived in NE PA, we had a Wegman's (a higher end grocery store with a huge variety of stuff) and they had an international section. I remember buying 2 things. An acerola cherry drink from Puerto Rico that was quite good (also a small box of chocolate covered corn flakes I gave to a friend).