Magnesium for Anxiety and Memory

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I'm currently taking 170mg of magnesium citrate, in addition to the 15mg in my daily multi. Considering the benefits to memory, etc. I'll probably start taking 2 caps, maybe every other day. Also using the magnesium oil for muscle tension.

Researchers from the Center for Learning and Memory, School of Medicine at the University of Texas in Austin found that elevating brain levels of magnesium can help undo the bad programming from prior stress experiences by helping to create new brain response patterns not influenced by fear or anxiety. Researchers included supplemental magnesium to a cohort of volunteer participants and found that elevated brain magnesium was able to induce the production of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), a compound used by the brain to rejuvenate cellular function.

The scientists concluded that increased magnesium levels led to an increase in synaptic plasticity that allowed the learned fear response to become altered. Fear and anxiety create obstacles that interfere with the quality of life and the willingness to do new things. Moderating the effects of intense and ongoing fear and of anxiety improve quality of life, healthy cognition and memory development.

Additional evidence supporting the importance of magnesium from proper diet or supplementation demonstrates that the mineral is critical to the process of making ATP (the cellular unit of energy) as well as of enabling the vital functions of cellular DNA and RNA. When magnesium levels are diminished, the final stages of energy production do not proceed efficiently. This leads to low brain energy output and may be a precursor to degenerative conditions including Alzheimer's dementia. Nutrition experts recommend supplementing with magnesium daily (300 to 500 mg) to improve cognition and to alleviate the effects of stress and anxiety.

More about Magnesium...https://www.natmedtalk.com/wiki/Magnesium

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
Magnesium helps the muscles relax and is a component of many different enzymes. Also, has people have said before on the board, most americans are deficient in it (in spite of blood analysis levels). In europe when you walk in a pharmacy they have mag fizzies all over the place.

jfh

perpetual student
I am taking 1000mg of mag malate. It is normal for me to have anxiety. Normal? Well, it's been with me for as long as I can remember well into childhood. I'm mostly using magnesium due to chronic constipation which comes back if I'm not diligent about extra fiber and magnesium. I was also hoping that it would correct hypertension. It has a lot of work to do for me. I'm not very impressed so far after several months, but I'm not going to try to live without it. It is relieving my constipation.

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
I am taking 1000mg of mag malate. It is normal for me to have anxiety. Normal? Well, it's been with me for as long as I can remember well into childhood. I'm mostly using magnesium due to chronic constipation which comes back if I'm not diligent about extra fiber and magnesium. I was also hoping that it would correct hypertension. It has a lot of work to do for me. I'm not very impressed so far after several months, but I'm not going to try to live without it. It is relieving my constipation.

JFH, try Fo_ti, the chinese herb for constipation.

knightofalbion

Magnesium deficiency is relatively commonplace.

Causes of deficiency:
Lack of magnesium rich foods i.e. fruit & vegetables (esp. green leafy vegetables) and cereals.
Too much dairy. The Cal:Mg is dairy is horrendously imbalanced, between 10:1 and 12:1
Unsupported calcium supplementation. Calcium supplements should always be taken with magnesium - won't work without it. Preferably in an Osteo complex supplement.

Nervous disorders are usually connected with a magnesium deficiency somewhere along the line, especially so if there is twitching.

Magnesium deficiency is very strongly linked with epilepsy.

Ted_Hutchinson

Krispin Magnesium Update
Her formula to work out how much IN TOTAL from all sources you require is
Formula to Calculate Magnesium Daily Requirement-
5 to 10 milligrams per day per kilo of ideal body weight or 2.5 to 4.5 milligrams per day per pound of ideal body weight.

Example: 70 kilos or 150 pounds= 350 mg. to 700 mg. daily.
So you need to think about how much magnesium is actually in the foods you consume and how much supplement you then need to add.
You can virtually ignore the magnesium from anything with magnesium oxide as 96% of that remains in your digestive system and while it helps make stools softer by attracting water it does NOTHING to raise your magnesium levels.

AFIBBERS Magnesium information see also
Magnesium absorption and bioavailability

And there is more good stuff at Nutritional Magnesium Association

Improving vitamin D3 status improves the absorption of both calcium and magnesium but as has been pointed out there are plenty of calcium food sources and fewer good magnesium food sources and modern dwarf wheats don't contain the amount of magnesium that traditional wheats provided. The current RDA for magnesium isn't really high enough for safety and should be regarded as the absolute minimum.

jfh

perpetual student
You can virtually ignore the magnesium from anything with magnesium oxide as 96% of that remains in your digestive system and while it helps make stools softer by attracting water it does NOTHING to raise your magnesium levels.
Magnesium is much better utilized, if it is bound with acid, such as magnesium malate (malic acid) or magnesium citrate (citric acid). I've heard that mag chloride is very good too. Mag chloride is very good for transdermal use as it bypasses the digestive system.

Ted_Hutchinson

Mag chloride is very good for transdermal use as it bypasses the digestive system.
Dead Sea salts Magnesium Chloride) are indeed very good as are Epsom Salts (magnesium Sulphate). Theere is a section in the Afibbers PDF I linked to earlier that talks about transdermal, The problem I worry about is how much is actually absorbed?
I'd like to see more INDEPENDENT evidence that using trandermal actually does replete magnesium status. Until then I'll cover my options by not putting all my eggs in one basket and do a bit of everything.
Eating magnesium rich foods,
using a range of magnesium supplements including some Albion Mineral Patent chelates
and use some trandermal
and use some ionic magnesium
and drink [PDF] Recipe for Magnesium/Bicarbonate Water