Low in Zinc and B12

mommysunshine

I have two known nutritional deficiencies that I've never addressed with supplements because I've wanted to get my body rebalanced first but years keep ticking by without a change so I'm ready to add supplements.

The first is zinc. A naturopath did a test and he said I was extremely low.

The other is vit. B12. A hemotologist said he can tell by my blood. Ugh!!! I've heard DMSO mixed with B12 placed on the wrist may be a good method of delivery.

I'm not sure where to begin really.

I've started taking either ginger, digestive enzymes, or hcl with each meal to help absorbtion issues but I think supplements may be the next step.

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
B12 Shots are the most effective application of the vitamin.

When I was in Mexico recently dealing with some health issues it was determined that B12 shots would be helpful for me.

A couple of years ago I took B12 shots as the final phase of my treatment for a back injury. It was the icing on the cake and I have not have had pain since. I took 1mg several times a week by injection. I injected myself. I used methycobalamine give to me by my doctor in a 30ml vial.

In Mexico again it was determined that B12 may be helpful for a pain situation I was having. When I told the doctor what I had done before... and then I explained to him the general protocol of B12 injections being 1mg monthly in the USA... he snickered... as though he was thinking... those stupid Americans... Then he wrote an order for me to take 10mg injection once a week x5 and repeat if effective but not finished.

I found 3 injections helpful. I also found out that in Mexico they only sell B12 in 10mg dose syringes, so a 1mg injection is not even an option.

There is a book on Amazon available about how to effectively use B12 written by a nurse.. do a search you may find it.

I also have found out that B12 can be injected subcutaneously, similar to an insulin shot, for those squeamish on giving themselves injections (a 2ml injection is max in size to be given.. Im talking volume here not strength).. most injections are only 1ml... I will warn you though, many doctors will not allow you to inject yourself intarmuscularly. So it is best to find a neighbor who is a nurse to help you or whatever you can manage.

If you decide to use oral B12 use a liposomal preparation. I think either NOW or Jarrow makes one.. You will get better absorption and blood levels from it.

Also be advised that a low normal blood test level for B12 is considered low by most naturopaths..

jfh

perpetual student
Mommysunshine, you have said before that you have digestive problems. We've discussed. Low in zinc? Did you know that zinc and the B vitamins are essential in promoting stomach acid? Did you know that low stomach acid will cause you to be deficient in many vitamins and minerals? It's important to improve your zinc and B. Maximum daily zinc would be 50mg. No more than that. Optimal is 30mg.

mommysunshine

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I do need to keep helping the digestion. It'll be helping with nutrient absorption. I hate to think of all the good nourishing food I've been eating that just went in and out. I'll keep doing the digestive enzymes, ginger or hcl at each meal and I'll add the B12 and zinc along with a mineral drink like colloidal minerals. Hopefully that'll be sufficient to bring nourishment to my cells. Geez! How can being nourished be such hard work?

jfh

perpetual student
I've heard that zinc requires copper to be effective, so I was doing a bit of research that others might find helpful too:
https://health2us.com/zn_cu.htm
Copper also helps your body utilize iron. With copper, only a trace is required and much can be obtain in diet. Sea salt is good for this, especially the Himalaya. The pink color is due to copper.

Excllent sources of copper include calf's liver, crimini mushrooms, turnip greens and molasses.

Very good sources of copper include chard, spinach, sesame seeds, mustard greens, kale, summer squash, asparagus, eggplant, and cashews.

Good sources of copper include peppermint, tomatoes, sunflower seeds, ginger, green beans, potato, and tempeh.

I would not worry about not getting enough copper.

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
Yes, healthy gut bacteria can make B12 but sometimes a real theraputic dose is requried to certain effects.

mommysunshine

Original Poster
I read something interesting today by Paavo Airola, N.D., Ph.D in his book called, "How to Get Well." He says that to help B12 get assimilated orally take it with HCL and Calcium.

jfh

perpetual student
Excess copper interferes with zinc, a mineral needed to make digestive enzymes. Too much copper also impairs thyroid activity and the functioning of the liver. If severe enough, a person will become an obligatory vegetarian. This means they are no longer able to digest meat very well. Conversely, if one becomes a vegetarian for other reasons, most likely one's copper level will increase. Vegetarian proteins are higher in copper, and lower in zinc.

At times, the vegetarian orientation is health-producing. In many people, however, restricted diets do not work well. Fatigue, spaciness and other symptoms begin to appear. Many people felt they were becoming more “spiritual” on a vegetarian diet, when in fact it was just copper poisoning! The taste for meat often returns when copper is brought into better balance.

Some people with high copper dislike all protein. They crave high-carbohydrate diets. Protein feels heavy or causes other symptoms. Eating protein stimulates glandular activity. This releases stored copper, which causes the symptoms. However, these individuals usually need to eat protein. The symptoms will eventually disappear.

https://www.drlwilson.com/articles/copper_toxicity_syndrome.htm
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
Zinc and copper are found together in eye vitamins. Zinc is high in oysters and organ meats. For B-12 an injection would be your bestcourse, but you could try the sublingual 500 microgram ones. As for DMSO and B-12, the problem is DMSO will pull many things with it into the skin so crushing a B-12 tablet and mixing with B-12 would also pull in other things; not a good idea.

mommysunshine

Original Poster
Excess copper interferes with zinc, a mineral needed to make digestive enzymes.

At times, the vegetarian orientation is health-producing. In many people, however, restricted diets do not work well. Fatigue, spaciness and other symptoms begin to appear.

Protein feels heavy or causes other symptoms. Eating protein stimulates glandular activity.
The past several days I've felt a refreshing energy and I feel good. It may be the fungal digestive enzymes and probiotics at each meal. Before bed it's been magnesium, zinc, and melatonin. Whatever is going on I like it.

I've been eating a more plant-based diet for the past several years and I've felt the worst I've ever felt. When I do eat meat I feel much, much better.

You guys ROCK!

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
Mommysunshine. can you explain what you mean by fungal digestive enzymes? Is that a particular product?

Glad you are feeling better!

mommysunshine

Original Poster
Arrowwind09, I've been calling digestive enzyme companies to learn more about what exactly it is that I'm taking. There are two types that are typically used, one is plant based and the other is fungal based. I've been using a brand called Drs. Best and this is their email to me:

The fungal enzymes used in Best Digestive Enzymes are derived from Aspergillus fungi. However, the enzymes are spun off the fungus and purified so no trace of a fungus would be present....just the enzyme itself which is a protein.

She said it was created in a sterile enviroment on a petri dish type setting.

Interestingly, Enzymedica uses the same fungus aspergillus but grows it on a soy or barley. Their enzymes are plant based.

pinballdoctor

Here is a list of trace minerals/elements:

Calcium, Chloride, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sodium, Sulfur, Antimony, Arsenic, Aluminum, Hydroxide, Barium, Beryllium, Bismuth, Boron, Bromine, Cadmium, Carbon, Cerium, Cesium, Chromium, Cobalt, Copper, Dysprosium, Erbium, Europium, Fluorine, Gadolinium, Gallium, Germanium, Gold, Hafnium, Holmium, Hydrogen, Indium, Iodine, Iridium, Iron, Lanthanam, Lead, Lithium, Lutetium, Manganese, Molybdenum, Neodymium, Nickel, Niobium, Nitrogen, Osmium, Oxygen, Palladium, Platinum, Praseodymium, Samarium, Scandium, Selenium, Silicon, Silver, Strontium, Tantalum, Tellurium, Tungsten, Vanadium, Ytterbium, Zinc, Zirconium.

Most are trace minerals, and they all work in a synergistic manner.