Lemons keep going moldy

someguy

So I try to include lemons in my diet.. often in the morning squeezed into warm water, but lately I buy a couple lemons and leave them around and within a week at least one turns completely green with mold.. then I have to throw them all out - and of course molds aren't good for you so I try to avoid breathing in as I throw them away..

How can I store lemons and stop them from growing mold? Is there some type of container that would work? I suppose I could put them in a plastic bag or something? Also - how bad is the mold that grows on lemons, apparently its commonly a type of peniccilin mold (Penicillium digitatum) .. im not eating it - but may be breathing in minute amounts of it.. probably would do no harm but molds freak me out!

Any advice?

jbo

had the same problem and I enjoy lemon in my tea every now and then on the weekends. I tried using the bottle lemon juice, but was a little worried about how natural that juice was

mommysunshine

what are you putting the lemons on or with? apples and onions give off a gas that may increase their ripening time. the refrigerator will probably keep them from spoiling so quickly.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Some people recommend sealed plastic bags in the refrigerator for lemons. I've read for storage of several months, to put the whole lemons in a sealed container (like tupperware), completely covered in cold filtered water in the refrigerator. The water should be replaced with fresh on a weekly basis.

More about lemons: https://www.natmedtalk.com/wiki/Lemon