Iron Supplements Cause More Harm Than Good

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Some things to consider before taking iron supplements...

High Iron Linked to Heart Attack Risk and More

In one Finnish study of more than 2,000 individuals, researchers found that stored iron was more strongly linked to heart attack risk than either high blood pressure or high cholesterol. It is believed that women who menstruate regularly are less likely to experience heart attacks because iron levels are reduced by the loss of blood each month. The same line of logic explains why men who donate blood regularly also experience fewer heart attacks.

High levels of iron are linked to more than just heart attack risk:

- One study showed that iron supplementation disrupted the balance of gut flora in children. Children who were given iron supplements showed an increase in harmful bacteria and a decrease in beneficial bacteria.

- Research indicates that lower levels of iron can actually be protective against infectious disease, leukemia and lymphatic cancers.

- Other studies demonstrate that iron produces free radicals which accelerate the aging process.

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
So I wonder what types of iron and at what dosages..
Iron from a plant based product is assimilated and I would assume utilized much better. Common anemia is resolved much faster with plant based products.

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
K2C, I remember reading about that yrs ago. Also, since men don't have periods, they build up Iron a lot faster. Friend of mine died in 1990 from Thallesimia, basically he needed a transfusin every month and when the iron builds up over time it deposits in the kidneys, liver and heart causing major issues. What pisses me off is the drug isoniazid (tuberculosis) in combination with vit b-6 helps remove iron from the body, but it is not FDA approved for that.

jfh

perpetual student
IP6 is the best iron chelator, but also oxalates found in coffee, tea, chocolate, etc also bind with iron and then excreted via the kidneys. Oxalic acid also binds with calcium, which can be unfortunate if too much is done so. This can form kidney stones. So, too much of a good thing.....

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
K2C, I remember reading about that yrs ago. Also, since men do have periods, they build up Iron a lot faster. Friend of mine died in 1990 from Thallesimia, basically he needed a transfusin every month and when the iron builds up over time it deposits in the kidneys, liver and heart causing major issues.
Sorry you lost your friend saved. :( When I was younger, sometimes I would drink SSS Liquid Iron Tonic, and now that I'm menopausal, I only buy iron-free multis for myself and my husband. I do take Chlorella everyday though, which has 6mg of iron, they list it as "naturally occurring".

Ive been taking a multivitamin since a few months now,it was perscribed by my dermatologist after genital warts removal :( (the only vitamin i take prescribed from a doctor,and its NOT naturall) and now i checked and the Iron i intake daily from it is 2.1mg,is that optimal or excessive? or too low?

btw here is the multivitamin im taking 1 pill a day,i guess you would recommend i change it correct???? https://www.centrum.ie/products/centrumselect50+.html