Introduction

MsKathy

I'm not sure where to post this, but i don't want to be a "lurker" so here we go...

I'm a neonatal ICU nurse with over 20 yrs experience. I'm very proud of what i do, most of the time...

My very best friend was diagnosed with stage IV esophageal cancer in the beginning of December. He'd been complaining of pain and vomiting and had lost over 30 pounds since August of 2007. He found out it had metastized to his liver and adrenal gland from a CT scan.

He began a 6 course dose of carboplatin/taxol every 21 days. The DAY of the first chemo he felt he could eat... nerves or chemo? I don't know...

2 days later, he started receiving IV vitamin C, increased to 50g/3 times/week.

Within ONE month, he was eating a regular (healthy) diet, without pain. His liver values are normal/low. His energy level is optimum. (an occasional nap needed)

He has gained over 30 pounds since december, and is now at his "ideal" weight. He works out.. treadmill and stationary bike and bar bels.

There is a CT scan scheduled for april 15th. Before even seeing the scan, his oncologist has set him up for 6 more courses, since it isn't KILLING him and seems to be KILLING the tumors.

I will need to give him GOOD information re: chemo vs natural therapy. And I need to do this this week! Since I'm a nurse, he has let ME become his trusted "filter". (don't ASK how I feel about that...)

In the course of my reading, I have discovered a "whole new world" and I want to be part of it!

(Harry, did I do ok? :) )

MsKathy

Matrix

Admin
Welcome to the forums, MsKathy. Your introduction is the best one so far :) . Your working experience is very impressive...you will be very helpful here, I'm sure.

BTW, we have a introduction forum, I will move your post there.

Iggy Dalrymple

Welcome aboard MsKathy,

My 1st cousin was diagnosed about a year ago with esophageal and stomach cancer. He had most of both surgically removed and has undergone 3 or 4 rounds chemo. He lost 100# but now seems to be recovering and has regained 30#.

I've given him much altmed info but I doubt he's followed any of it.

Iggy

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
Hi MsKathy,

And welcome!

Well, if the chemo is working for him he is very fortunate. The cancer cure rate with chemo is not all that high, but it does work sometimes. In general they consider metastized cancer incurable. You can get a lot of good ideas here for alternative or supplemental treatments. Look around and its best if you can ask specific questions.

I like the phisosophy of www.OasisofHope.com in Mexico. They have very good survival rates even with advanced cancer. They endeavor to teach how to life a long life with cancer, if it cannot be cured.

I suggest that you go to www.HealthSalon.org and read in the cancer category as well.

Best,
Arrow

Xania

Hullo MsKathy. Welcome to the forum. I hope you find some helpful answers here. My husband has prostate cancer which spread to local bones. I am interested to learn any more you can tell us about the Vitamin C infusions. It is the personal experiences I am interested in, if you don't mind sharing that. How much, how often, any effects noticed, and so on?
Thanks.

scorpiotiger

Welcome MsKathy!

I am a little confused by your story..is your friend receiving both chemo and vitamin C infusions?

Thanks for sharing this with us. :)

scorpiotiger

can you tell me where? or just tell me if your friend is doing both.. intravenous vitamin C and chemo?

MsKathy

Original Poster
chemo has finished, I hope

Please read my intro. I think what you're asking is there. :)

I just found it at the bottom of this thread! LOL!

At the present time, he's awaiting a CT scan. He finished his 6 lovely chemo courses, the oncologist is ready to give him 6 more because he "did so well". Meaning he gets rashes and thrush and pukes... I guess.

IV C has been going on 3 times a week since the first chemo. The first chemo day was on a wednesday and the first C day was that following saturday.

I hope that helps?

Last edited:

scorpiotiger

this is what confused me:
He began a 6 course dose of carboplatin/taxol every 21 days. The DAY of the first chemo he felt he could eat... nerves or chemo? I don't know...

2 days later (2 days after the 6 course dose of chemo, or 2 days after the First chemo?), he started receiving IV vitamin C, increased to 50g/3 times/week.
but, subsequent posts seem to indicate he is doing both at the same time. the chemo and the intravenous vitamin C.

thanks. :)

MsKathy

Original Poster
Sorry if that was confusing. Two days after the first dose of chemo, he began the IVC and it's continued 3 times a week since then. (Started mid- December)

MsKathy

Original Poster
scan results

The oncologist called my friend just now. The results are excellent! The tumor on his esophagus is no longer visible. The liver tumors are shrinking to the tune of 2/3's smaller. His liver is no longer "wrapped" in tumors!

IV vitamin C is awesome!!!!

Kathy

Xania

What fantastic news, MsKathy. Thanks for telling us. I am so encouraged.
How long do you think the IV C will continue, in total? Only until the tumours disappear? For a time after that. Or on an "as needed " basis in the future, depending on - well, the future?!

MsKathy

Original Poster
Don't know yet. Should have some idea of a plan of care in the next week or so.

This is just a great great day for his family and friends! I just wanted to share it. I will, of course keep you all updated.

Thanks for the good wishes!

Kathy

Boss

I think this outcome is obviously wonderful news for all concerned, I'm really happy for you, buy also it represents a very positive light for science, and anything that works in such a situation regardless of its origins, is always a good thing :)

Best wishes.