I don't know what is wrong with me.. Please help.

km054

Hi everyone,

First and foremost, thank you for clicking my thread. This may be a lengthy one but just know that I truly appreciate your insight and input. Okay, I think giving you some background info. will help- here goes:

I am a 25 year old female. 5'8", 180lbs. (I gained about 15 pounds within the last year due to bad eating habits) I have always been in good health my entire life. I have been very active from ages 4-17 and then didn't take much part in physical activities since then. I have ate whatever I wanted. I have perfect eyesight. I used to drink alcohol, but I stopped drinking alcohol completely since I was 22 y/o because of what I will state below. I get neck pains, specifically on my left side a lot- this could be from using the computer a lot..? I also do not do drugs- I have only tried Marijuana one time a few years ago and hated it. I do not consume caffeine at all b/c it makes me jittery. I also have not had soda in many, many years. I do struggle with fears/anxiety since I was about 17 years old and had a breakup with someone I cared very much about since then- that is what offset it, I guess. Both parents are generally healthy, aside from my mom having high blood pressure. No cancer in the family, except my grandma had Leukemia for almost a year and then it was cured. Only things that run in my family are asthma and environmental/seasonal allergies. I do not have asthma and I am allergic to dust, cats, pollen, black mold, etc. (things I feel that most people are allergic to, anyway).

My "symptoms" began when I just turned 22 about an hour after I landed from a 5 hr flight from Las Vegas, NV. I went to sit on my couch and physically felt as if I was still on an airplane. The way I explain it is like a "floaty" feeling- no I don't feel like I'm floating, but I felt as though I am on an airplane or standing on a boat. It felt like the floor quickly shifted under me. I would like to point out that I did not experience any spinning or lightheadedness- it was just like a floaty feeling that I would feel every now and then through my movements. The symptoms would be more intense in the shower. I take hot showers, if that info. happens to help. The symptoms lasted about 2 weeks, I went to the ER and they said it could be "jet lag" and that my ears were still getting used to the altitude change. I went home and the next day, a kind of loud noise came from the INSIDE of my ear that sounded like I put a conch to my ear. It happened very quickly. It was loud enough that it startled me because obviously I wasn't expecting to hear that sound out of nowhere.

Symtpoms subsides for a few weeks then returned, I went to my primary and he said he thought it was a sinus infection or an allergy. I was given antibiotics, sent to do a CT scan of my sinuses and referred me to an allergist if symptoms persisted. My symptoms went away during the antibiotics (I thought, at the time, that the antibiotics are what helped it. It could've been a coincidence, I don't know). My CT scan was perfect and normal.

I ended up going to an allergist because my symptoms returned after going away for a month and he said it was a Eustachian Tube Dysfunction due to my dust allergy. I asked him if there are any tests he can do to be certain and he said no and prescribed me prednisone, told me to do nasal rinses with a Neti-pot, get rid of my carpet and do allergy shots so that my body can build immunity. I did what he said and symptoms went away for a few months. I was convinced that it was allergies since it had gone away for many months.

I woke up one day and lifted up my head and saw my room move. I freaked out to say the least because I have never experienced any "vertigo-like" symptoms in my life. It went away at the moment but I was afraid the whole day that it would happen again and I felt weird the entire day. I could've felt weird bc of the anxiety or the dizziness- again, I have no idea. I went back to the allergist and he gave me prednisone and said it was the eustachian tube acting up. I kept experiencing symptoms even while on the prednisone and I became frustrated and went to see an ENT.

The ENT said he thought it was migraine-associated with vertigo. I am not really one to get crazy headaches- I've had an aura migraine (or optical migraine) occur to me about 3 times in my life though. He told me that we would do a hearing test, an MRI and VNG testing. VNG was perfect and he said it wasn't vertigo, hearing was exceptional and MRI returned perfect and normal. Only thing that was in my result from my VNG was "hyperactive labyrinth". He didn't mention anything about that and said that we were gonna go with the migraine associated with vertigo. I have looked online as to what a "hyperactive labyrinth" means and have found basically nothing. He told me to change my diet and that it would help- so I did and it did help but for several months only until 2 months ago.

2 months ago, I lied down to go to sleep and when I closed my eyes it felt as if though I was laying on a raft floating on the ocean. I guess you can describe it as a swaying feeling. I don't feel anything when I sleep sitting upright. I had been frustrated visiting so many doctors that I decided to search through Dr. Google and find some sort of solution or answer. After searching, I decided to stop eating gluten and dairy. I began to feel better 2 days after and I have been feeling normal since like a week ago. I felt my head kind of "light" (not lightheaded necessarily) and funny and when I went to go shower, I felt that floaty bouncy feeling again. I have been feeling this slight off-balance feeling since then and when I lay down, I feel like a slight sway so I sleep sitting upright.

I have no idea what to do- only different thing I have been doing is that I ate some ranch sauce and had a pesto gluten-free pizza, but could dairy be the culprit? Only thing dairy ever gave me in my life are stomach aches. Within the past months, I feel tired throughout the day but its because i don't sleep enough (avg. 5/hrs sleep per night)- not because I just can't sleep but because I stay up on the computer or watching tv shows.

Other things I think I should point out is that 3 weeks ago, I had sever upper abdominal pain and a white coating on my tongue and turns out it was gastritis. I was given prilosec 40mg for 20 days and advised not to eat acidic foods. I was also given a blood test and my b12 was only "10 numbers lower than what it is supposed to be" and my vitamin D was a bit low. I began taking some b complex and vitamin d supplements. I did as told and have been feeling normal, stomach-wise.

I am going to get blood drawn that will test for H. Pylori, my vitamins and thyroid function. My doctor said that the test for gluten is very expensive and they only test for Celiacs and she doesn't think I have that. Other things I might have forgot to mention: I have been pretty sedentary and maybe the fatigue and "tiredness" have been due to a mixture of me not sleeping well and not being active. I have been feeling a slight feeling of fullness and "tightness" in my ears and my head sometimes when I stand up quickly (not lightheaded)- I am not sure if this can be anxiety because this feeling has been stressing me out. I have had about 4 or 5 UTI's and about like 3 or 4 vaginal yeast infections in my lifetime (I assume it was due to antibiotics but it hasn't happened in over a year). I've had strep throat once but a throat infection about 3 times where even my neck hurt and I had white balls in the back of my throat. I had to take antibiotics each time because it was so damn painful, felt like I was swallowing needles.

I honestly have no idea why I feel this way. I have been thinking of seeing a Naturopathic Doctor because, no disrespect to MD's, but I feel that they don't know how to evaluate my entire being and rather are just trying to treat a symptom with all his crap like antibiotics and prednisone.

Thank you so so so so much for reading this essay! Lol! I really appreciate it! You all have no idea. I am happy to answer any other questions you guys may have.

Samika

Hi! Good evening!
Well, you obviously are trying to find an answer and you went to the Dr. doing the right thing.
In your investigation, you tried to look for diseases that affect the sense of balance? Maybe I am not helping you in nothing, but would be great if you can find more information, and I send you the best wishes to you!

km054

Original Poster
Hi! Good evening!
Well, you obviously are trying to find an answer and you went to the Dr. doing the right thing.
In your investigation, you tried to look for diseases that affect the sense of balance? Maybe I am not helping you in nothing, but would be great if you can find more information, and I send you the best wishes to you!

Hi Samika!

Thank you so much for responding. Yes, during my investigation I have been searching for a disease that affects the sense of balance but from the testing I have done (MRI, VNG, etc.) everything has come back fine. I still feel off balance and swaying when I lay down to sleep and I feel slightly "off" (off balance) during the day many times. I hope this goes away soon. I have removed dairy and gluten from my diet hoping its that.

Samika

Hi Samika!

Thank you so much for responding. Yes, during my investigation I have been searching for a disease that affects the sense of balance but from the testing I have done (MRI, VNG, etc.) everything has come back fine. I still feel off balance and swaying when I lay down to sleep and I feel slightly "off" (off balance) during the day many times. I hope this goes away soon. I have removed dairy and gluten from my diet hoping its that.
Oh, good to hear! Hope this problem get out of your body soon!

JanH

Possibly you are out of chiropractic adjustment. Vertigo, headaches, balance problems can be caused by that. Certainly seems worth a consultation to eliminate the possibility at least.

naturegal

It sounds like you have a combination of things, maybe one thing leading to another. But two things you mention (at least) are the neck pain, and the "floaty" thing, I have or had. The neck pain turned out to be bone-spurs in my neck from having a condition that is called spasmodic torticolos (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spasmodic_torticollis) and the other was my equilibrium being "off" due to severe sinus infection. I only made the SI worse by too many anti-biotics, and Benadryl. I finally was relieved of that after 3 months or more, by using ACV (apple cider vinegar). That is an amazing story in itself, and I can't recommend trying ACV enough for so many disorders.

I don't know what you have, could be a whole other thing, but for the neck pain, I am now listening and getting plenty of calcium (including 2 tablets a day equaling 1000 mg's.).

I so hope you can keep researching, and try not to get overwhelmed but just work. I can't say enough about discovering some natural ways to heal ourselves with nutrition, exercise. I suffer from several things as well, but I keep trying to get into good habits of exercise (just walking) and foods plus some supplements.

I'm 63, you are very young and if you get started now on the right ways to eat, drink and exercise you won't have to be my age trying to fix a lifetime of "bad" eating habits and lack of exercise;)

naturegal

Possibly you are out of chiropractic adjustment. Vertigo, headaches, balance problems can be caused by that. Certainly seems worth a consultation to eliminate the possibility at least.
Can't agree more, and if you can see one, ask people in your area for recommends for a good one!

naturegal

This was such a good read, and thanks to the internet, I continue to find articles like this "free" to read. I mentioned my age earlier and I try not to regret not understanding or even seeking out the info years ago. At least I am doing it now and each day I can do my best to put into action the things I am learning.

https://www.emory.edu/EMORY_REPORT/erarchive/1998/September/erseptember.21/9_21_98Size.html