Hypertension

Iggy Dalrymple

Hibiscus Tea
to Lower Your Blood Pressure

People with high blood pressure (hypertension) can lower their blood pressure by drinking a tea made from a standardized extract of hibiscus flower every day, according to a study published in Phytomedicine (2004;11:375–82). The World Health Organization defines hypertension as blood pressure higher than 140/90.
https://bastyrcenter.org/content/view/489/
My blood pressure was running 140ish. I read about the hibiscus and decided to try it. I bought 3 pounds of organic hibiscus powder from https://www.sharpweblabs.com/shop/hibuscus-powder-organic-p-980.html

I drink green tea all day long, so I've started adding about 1/4 tsp to each quart of tea. It dissolves easily dying the beverage a bright red.

A couple of weeks ago I gave blood and my BP was 121/74.

This morning at the VA my BP was 100/60.
I told the nurse that that sounded too low and to please run it again.
The 2nd time it was 120/60.

I've been using it for about 6 weeks so maybe it's working. During this same time span, I began taking MK-7 Vit K.

EarlyBird

Hibiscus Tea?

So how do you know whether it's the Hibiscus Tea or the
MK-7 Vit K :?:

Those are great new BP numbers tho, Iggy. 8)

Iggy Dalrymple

Original Poster
EarlyBird said:
So how do you know whether it's the Hibiscus Tea or the
MK-7 Vit K :?:
I don't. I also must add, that since the holidays,
I've begun adding rice bran oil to my daily salad.

Here's info on another anti-hypertensive herb, posted at the Hades site by Wolfgang.
Anti-hypertensive effect of water extract of danshen on renovascular hypertension through inhibition of the renin angiotensin system.

Professional Graduate School of Oriental Medicine, Wonkwang University, Iksan, Chonbuk, Korea.

A study was designed to elucidate the mechanism of anti-hypertensive effects of danshen in the two-kidney, one clip (2K1C) Goldblatt renovascular hypertensive model, which is the renin-angiotensin system (RAS)-dependent hypertensive model. We investigated the effects of water extracts of danshen on the angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) activities, systolic blood pressure (SBP), and hormone levels in the plasma of 2K1C rats. ACE activity was inhibited by the addition of danshen extract in a dose-dependent manner. SBP was decreased significantly after administration of danshen extract in 2K1C, whereas plasma renin activity (PRA) was not changed. The plasma concentration of aldosterone (PAC) was decreased significantly in 2K1C group administered with Danshen extract, whereas the plasma concentration of ANP was increased by administration of danshen extract for three weeks. These results suggest that danshen has an anti-hypertensive effect through the inhibition of ACE, an essential regulatory enzyme of RAS. https://preview.tinyurl.com/284bh6
https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-danshen.html

Danshen (Salvia miltiorrhiza) is widely used in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), often in combination with other herbs. Remedies containing danshen are used traditionally to treat a diversity of ailments, particularly cardiac (heart) and vascular (blood vessel) disorders such as atherosclerosis ("hardening" of the arteries with cholesterol plaques) or blood clotting abnormalities.

The ability of danshen to "thin" the blood and reduce blood clotting is well documented, although the herb's purported ability to "invigorate" the blood or improve circulation has not been demonstrated in high-quality human trials. Constituents of the danshen root, particularly protocatechualdehyde and 3,4-dihydroxyphenyl-lactic acid, are believed to be responsible for its vascular effects. Because danshen can inhibit platelet aggregation and has been reported to potentiate (increase) the blood-thinning effects of warfarin, it should be avoided in patients with bleeding disorders, prior to some surgical procedures, or when taking anticoagulant (blood-thinning) drugs, herbs, or supplements.

In the mid-1980s, scientific interest was raised in danshen's possible cardiovascular benefits, particularly in patients with ischemic stroke or coronary artery disease/angina. More recent studies have focused on possible roles in liver disease (hepatitis and cirrhosis), and as an antioxidant. However, the available research in these areas largely consists of animal studies and small human trials of poor methodological quality. Therefore, firm evidence-based conclusions are not possible at this time about the effects of danshen for any medical condition.

A small amount of research in humans suggests that danshen may improve breathing and lessen cough and wheeze in patients with chronic asthmatic bronchitis. Better studies are needed that compare danshen with more proven treatments for this condition before a clear conclusion can be drawn.

Danshen may increase the risk of bleeding. This herb is reported to inhibit platelet aggregation and to increase the blood-thinning effects of warfarin in humans. Caution is advised in patients with bleeding disorders, taking drugs that may increase the risk of bleeding, or prior to some surgical procedures. Dosing adjustments may be necessary.

This is Plum Flower brand's nitrogen-flushed vacuum pack.

Plum Flower is one of the most distinguished herb houses in the world.

Sulfur Free, Chlorine Free, Aluminum Phosphate Free.

Sulfites are used to give herbs the appearance of freshness. As with dried fruit, unsulfured herbs look different than those that are adulterated with preservatives. Herbs that are preservative free are more natural looking and are generally darker. The brightness of the herbs may be appealing, but it indicates the presence of harmful additives. Despite their appearance, unsulfured herbs are more fresh and safer than regular commercially available products.

The use of sulfur, chlorine and aluminum phosphate was made unnecessary through the establishment of Plum Flower processing stations in China. Herb harvesters slice and process the herbs fresh, avoiding the need to rehydrate dried herbs later to process. This first step is crucial, as rehydration leads to decomposition and thus the need for preservatives.

The herbs are then packed and the packages vacuum-packed, injected with nitrogen, and sealed. The nitrogen process combined with the lack of sulfur treatment inhibits the growth of anaerobic organisms, resulting in safer, higher quality herbs. After opening, store in a cool dry place.

The facilities in Lanzhou and Guang Zhou, China, scientifically test each batch of herbs before, during and after the processing to make sure that all the active ingredients are present. Herbs are also tested to ensure that the formulas surpass all FDA guidelines regarding heavy metals. Those herbs exported to the U.S. are voluntarily submitted to the FDA for approval.

Finally, batches are regularly sent out for quality control testing in third-party labs to double-ensure that Plum Flower products are 100% free of pharmaceuticals, preservatives and dyes.

The Lanzhou and Guang Zhou factories are so clean, they are certified by the Australian Government’s Therapeutic Goods Administration (GMP). These standards surpass any of the FDA, and are considered the highest for any government agency in the world.
Salvia Root (Salvia miltiorrhiza; Red Sage Root; Dan Shen) 5:1 Extract Powder 100 gm: $16.53

Source

Iggy Dalrymple

Original Poster
Taurine
In Tibet, average lives of people are too short. Some Tibetan tribes die at a young age (about 35 – 45 years old) because of heart attack or heart failure. We understand that their main food is only oats powder with salt. It is just because they take too much brown rock salt or halite. They need more animal protein to neutralize their food nutrition. Their lack of protein is caused by not eating bird meat, cow meat, and fish meat because of their religion, culture, and funeral traditions.

We requested several tribes for medical examination, and we discovered something about their blood pressure. Their average blood pressure was 165/135 mmHg. The main reason of their short life is lack of animal protein which contain important mineral called “Taurine”. They live at high mountains in remote regions in China. We requested 30 selected tribe people to take taurine powder for 60 days with complete medical checkup. Amazingly, their blood pressure became normal at 130/90 mmHg. For sure, these volunteers will not suffer from heart failure before the age of 45 years old, if they will take care of their health as we instructed.

Now we have learned about the long life of Masai people and short life of Tibetan people. I believe that I was able to clear the questions of our subscribers.

WHAT IS TAURINE?

Taurine is a sulfur amino acid essential to the proper functioning of the heart and the eyes. It is found in many animals, especially sea animals, mainly shellfish.

PHYSIOLOGICAL ROLES OF TAURINE

1. It acts as an antioxidant, and helps prevent macular degeneration and other serious eye diseases.
2. It reduces blood pressure and cholesterol level, thus, helps prevent arteriosclerosis.
3. It improves detoxification function of the liver.
4. It helps to strengthen the heart muscle, thus, stabilizing the function of the heart.
5. It lessens the accumulation of lactic acid which becomes the cause of fatigue.
6. It immediately restores and protects corneal cells from harmful ultraviolet rays and alike.

One good thing about taurine is that it will not break by heating. However, because it dissolves easily in water, you should not throw the broth when cooking. Take the broth for your diet.

THERAPEUTIC APPLICATIONS OF TAURINE

Taurine might be useful in treating conditions such as: arteriosclerosis, hypertension, heart failure, hair problems such as thin hair and baldness, arrhythmia, hypercholesterolemia, and liver disease.

FOODS CONTAINING TAURINE

Taurine is found in eggs, fish, meat, and milk. Taurine is also found in some plant foods like seaweeds, but present in very low levels. It is highly present in sea foods such as clam, squid, octopus, and oyster. https://www.pyroenergen.com/articles07/taurine.htm

Iggy Dalrymple

Original Poster
Harry Hirsute posted on this in July 2006.
Antihypertensive effect of green coffee bean extract on mildly hypertensive subjects.

* Kozuma K,
* Tsuchiya S,
* Kohori J,
* Hase T,
* Tokimitsu I.

Health Care Research Laboratories, Kao Corporation, Tokyo, Japan. [email protected]

A water-soluble green coffee bean extract (GCE) has been shown to be effective against hypertension in both spontaneously hypertensive rats and humans. This multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel group study evaluated the dose-response relationship of GCE in 117 male volunteers with mild hypertension. Subjects were randomized into four groups: a placebo and three drug groups that received 46 mg, 93 mg, or 185 mg of GCE once a day. After 28 days, systolic blood pressure (SBP) in the placebo, 46 mg, 93 mg, and 185 mg groups was reduced by -1.3+/-3.0 mmHg, -3.2+/-4.6 mmHg, -4.7+/-4.5 mmHg, and -5.6+/-4.2 mmHg from the baseline, respectively. The decreases in SBP in the 93 mg group (p<0.05) and the 185 mg group (p<0.01) were statistically significant compared with the placebo group. Diastolic blood pressure (DBP) in the placebo, 46 mg, 93 mg, and 185 mg groups was reduced by -0.8+/-3.1 mmHg, -2.9+/-2.9 mmHg, -3.2+/-3.2 mmHg, and -3.9+/-2.8 mmHg from the baseline, respectively, and significant effects were observed in the 93 mg group (p<0.05) and the 185 mg group (p<0.01) compared with the placebo group. Both blood pressures were significantly reduced in a dose-related manner by GCE (p<0.001). Adverse effects caused by GCE were not observed. The results suggested that daily use of GCE has a blood pressure-lowering effect in patients with mild hypertension.

PubMed
https://vitanetonline.com/forums/1/Thread/391

Iggy Dalrymple

Original Poster
Neither Vit C nor Garlic helped alone, but together they helped reduce hypertension.
Garlic, vit. C cuts blood pressure
Created: Wednesday, March 14, 2007
A combination of garlic supplements and vitamin C brought blood pressure back to normal levels in people with mildly elevated levels, says a pilot study.

"Combinations of garlic and vitamin C are an effective alternative in the control of marginally high blood pressure," wrote authors Adam Mousa and Shaker Mousa in the journal Nutrition Research (Elsevier).

"Garlic ingredients or garlic extract alone increased endothelial cell NO production, an effect that was shown to be enhanced by the combination with antioxidant vitamins," they said.

The study adds to a large body of science indicating cardiovascular benefits for garlic, with consumer awareness of potential health benefits already high. This has benefited the supplements industry, particularly since consumers seek the benefits of garlic without the odours that accompany the fresh bulb.

How the study was done
Mousa and Mousa recruited six subjects with marginally elevated blood pressure (140/90mmHg) and assigned them to take placebo for 10 days; followed by one-week washout, then vitamin C (2000mg) for 10 days, a further week of wash-out period, then garlic tablets (650mg of bulb powder) for 10 days. Finally, after the last washout, garlic and vitamin C were given together for 10 days.

They report that the daily vitamin C alone did not have any effect on blood pressure, while garlic alone resulted in a significant decrease in systolic but not diastolic blood pressure. When the supplements were given together, mean systolic and diastolic blood pressures reduced to reference values of 110-120 and 75-80mmHg, respectively. Blood pressure increased when the combined supplement was stopped.

The mechanism behind the apparent effects was proposed to be due to effects of garlic on the production of nitric oxide (NO) in endothelium cells (cells that line the walls of blood vessels). NO is a molecule used by the endothelium to signal surrounding muscle to relax, thereby dilating the blood vessels and increasing blood flow.

Indeed, measurements of NO levels after garlic administration showed a two-fold increase, relative to placebo, while administration of both garlic and vitamin C resulted in a three-fold increase, relative to the control.

"The effects of garlic and its combination with antioxidants on blood pressure might be explained on the basis of the cellular effects on NO production," wrote the researchers.

More research needed
Further studies are needed to confirm these results, with larger study populations and longer intervention periods necessary.

A recent trial, published in the Archives of Internal Medicine, reported that garlic, both raw and from supplements, had no effect on the cholesterol levels of 192 adults with slightly elevated cholesterol levels (hypercholesterolaemia). https://www.health24.com/news/DietFood_News_Feed/1-3420,39679.asp

Iggy Dalrymple

Original Poster
I've really thrown the book at my hypertension. I thought that the hibiscus had done the trick but it crept back up. I still use the hibiscus but now I've added garlic & taurine to my long time use of Vit C. I replaced ricebran oil with extra virgin olive oil in my salad. I use RBO in my cooking but I don't do much cooking. I've also started walking 1.8 miles per day. Last week my BP was 125/78. Today, it was 114/66. If that holds, I think I've got her whipped.

PS: I also started taking 2 Iodorals a day about a week ago.

bifrost99

Beloved Mentor
A simple isometric exercise normalizes BP

I posted this in the Links board, but is worth repeating in this thread:

---------------------------------

A simple isometric exercise can normalize blood pressure.

Basically, it's gripping something isometrically with 30% of your force for 2 minutes. Rest a minute. Do on other hand. Then repeat another round for both hands. Do at least thrice a week.

The science (actually, an accidental discovery) is discussed in

https://www.mdsystems.com/mdshist.htm

and

https://www.zona.com/productinfo.aspx
https://www.zona.com/medicalresearch.aspx

Knowing the principle, we don't really need to purchase the expensive $299.99 ZonaPlus or the $799.99 Dynex1 or the $999.99 Dynex2. But I'm not stopping you if you like to get them. :lol: :lol: :lol:

---------------------------------

Gerry

bifrost99

Beloved Mentor
bifrost99 said:
I've gone over the articles about isometric handgrip exercise to normalize blood pressure in

https://zona.com/medicalresearch.aspx

and I find the following:

There are two protocols done among the studies:

1. Two-minute hand grip at 30% strength, alternating each hand for two repetitions (total of four grips, two for each hand), done thrice a week.

2. Forty-five-second hand grip at 50% strength, alternating each hand for two repetitions, done five times a week.

All studies showed improvements (lowering) of blood pressure readings. However, these bring up some observations and questions:

- Where did those protocols come from? Why 50% or 30% strength and not more or less? Why 45 or 120 seconds, and not more or less? There are rest intervals but it could be easily seen that they're only to accomodate the use of alternating hands. Thus, 3 minutes for the first protocol (we need 2 of those minutes for the other hand), and 1 minute for the second protocol (we need 45 seconds for the other hand). But then, why one hand at a time? The test pilots were gripping their seats with both hands when this "principle" was noticed, right?

- One study compared hand grip with isometric leg press. The leg press had no effect on blood pressure. Why? This leads me to suspect that since the blood pressure measurements are done on the arm, then the grip exercise directly affects the reading. Like, we might have an obese, hypertensive individual, who does nothing but the grip, and his blood pressure reading normalizes even if he remains in his unhealthy state. Can such result mean that the person is now healthier just doing the grip exercise? Conversely, can it mean that arm blood pressure measurements may be insignificant if a person is otherwise healthy?

I have never really given much importance to blood pressure readings. Way back in the early '90s, a medical team went around our offices screening our blood pressures. To my surprise, I was considered hypertensive at 140/100. I did not feel any health problems then, and I don't feel any now, even if my BP still hovers around that reading. (I never took any medications for my "hypertension.") Did I, and other people, simply have high blood pressure readings because we did not develop our arm strength/circulation relative to our bodies?

I think this is really important. It may mean that arm blood pressure measurements are not reliable indicators of overall health because measurements only reflect the condition at the arm. They could be normalized with an arm exercise even if one's overall health or condition remains virtually the same.

Anyway, just to remove the worries, we could just go ahead with doing the isometric hand grip exercises just so that our readings will satisfy our doctors. :(

Gerry

Iggy Dalrymple

Original Poster
Gerry, do you think squeezing and holding the squeeze with a foam rubber ball would work?

bifrost99

Beloved Mentor
Iggy Dalrymple said:
Gerry, do you think squeezing and holding the squeeze with a foam rubber ball would work?
Of course. Why not?

The "technicality" of the studies is that they applied specific, measured forces, for specific, measured times. They used a gadget which is pressed maximally by the subject for a few seconds (to determine 100%), and then the gadget calculates 30% or 50% from that value and gives the subject a reading so that s/he knows if s/he's maintaining the proper pressure for the required number of seconds (which the gadget also gives out). (That's why the gadgets cost hundreds of dollars. :? )

I don't think we have to be that exacting. We could just squeeze our empty fist, a rubber ball, a hand grip, etc. and although the percent strength we apply is subjective, it should not really be far.

Just the way I see it. 8)

Gerry

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
To Iggy on Hypertension

Hi Iggy,

Just wondering how your hypertension program was going. Is it still working?
Have you refined it any? Can you share some details.

Arrow

pinballdoctor

Lower Blood Pressure..

If your blood pressure is near the "target area", you may need to just thin out your blood a little. Garlic, hawthorne and cayenne are great for this.
Once the blood is thinner, less force is needed to circulate it. That is a good thing.

Iggy Dalrymple

Original Poster
Hi Iggy,

Just wondering how your hypertension program was going. Is it still working?
Have you refined it any? Can you share some details.

Arrow
It's still erratic. Usually good but frequently it'll be around 140. Stress may be the culprit.

If your blood pressure is near the "target area", you may need to just thin out your blood a little. Garlic, hawthorne and cayenne are great for this.
Once the blood is thinner, less force is needed to circulate it. That is a good thing.
I was at the VA a couple of days ago and they drew a blood sample and commented, "Are you a heavy bleeder?" I looked down and the puncture was all bloody. A few minutes later, another technician injected a dye for an xray and asked, "Are you on a blood thinner?"

I'm not on any thinner, not ever aspirin. I don't know why my blood would be thin unless it the Vit C, Vit E, and fish oil.

healthyfreak

A lot of great information on reducing hypertension. I don't have it but my mom does. She has tried the garlic but with vinegar and honey. We were not sure if it helped because she was also taking BP medication at the same time. She is currently not taking the garlic mixture. Can you suggest other better tasting herbs than garlic?

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal

Garlic for hypertension can be taken in capsule form. It is an overall builder of the immune system and will also keep infections away. We eat our garlic raw almost daily. I save the brine from my favorite olives and fill the jar with peeled whole cloves and let them sit for about 2 months before eating. We eat 3 or 4 a day and they are not hot any longer like raw garlic and you will not walk around smelling like you just crawled out of a garlic vat. You can also buy garlic stuffed olives in the grocery store. Thats the brine I ususaly use.

healthyfreak

Garlic for hypertension can be taken in capsule form. It is an overall builder of the immune system and will also keep infections away. We eat our garlic raw almost daily. I save the brine from my favorite olives and fill the jar with peeled whole cloves and let them sit for about 2 months before eating. We eat 3 or 4 a day and they are not hot any longer like raw garlic and you will not walk around smelling like you just crawled out of a garlic vat. You can also buy garlic stuffed olives in the grocery store. Thats the brine I ususaly use.
Hi Arrowwind. You know I didn't think of the capsule form. Is it just as effective as the natural raw garlic?
Hi healthyfreak,

How's your mom's sleep habits/patterns?

Check out a related thread on the role of sleep in hypertension:

https://www.natmedtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2149

And some links about sleep:

https://www.natmedtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2207

Gerry
Hi Gerry, I think she sleeps fine. I don't think she is lacking any sleep. She told me that her hypertension runs in the family. She says that her blood is thicker than normal. She also eats a lot of fish products for that Omega 3 FA. She still needs those BP meds to lower her BP. Her BP is high when she first wakes up, but when she takes her BP med it goes down to normal range within an hour.

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
If her blood is thicker than normal she should be on vitamim K2 and nattokinase. I like the brand Block Buster All Clear, it has natto and serapeptase. Two great enzymes for old folks to take. Please! anything but coumadin.

I don't know if anything is as effective as raw garlic but certainly more palatable. You have to do what a person will be compliant with over the long haul. I rather eat pickled garlic than take pills. I read a testimonial there a woman cured her MRSA infection by eating raw garlic. 3 to 4 cloves every 2 to 4 hours, day and night for one month.