How can I convince my mother to stop getting vaccinated?

Firekin4

My mom is 56, held together with plates and screws, just got done taking the largely untested "wonder drug" Harvoni for hepatitis C, has COPD, says every day she's gonna quit smoking cigarettes, but never does. She also has immune disorders including lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. Every year, she gets a flu shot, still gets the flu, which becomes a sinus infection, which she immediately gets antibiotics for, yet it still progresses to pneumonia every winter, which she gets more antibiotics for. Last year she also got a pneumonia shot and ended up with her worst case yet. She just keeps taking more antibiotics and getting more vaccines, thinking they're going to make her healthy again, but she recovers even less and only gets worse every year. I've tried explaining that the antibiotics and vaccines, which also contain more antibiotics as well as mercury, formaldeyde, and antifreeze, only kill off her gut flora and further weaken her immune system.

Firekin4

Original Poster
(my flip phone won't let me space paragraphs and only lets me type so much) Her first response was "I know it weakens my immune system, but it also helps" and when asked, she could give no other reason or example of how it helps aside from "the doctor said so", even though she clearly gets worse every year and was only healthy (at least relative to how she is now) for about a month in the past 3 years. That was between when she quit the antibiotics, steroids, most of the inhalers, and everything else but albuterol, oxycodone, and fentanyl against doctor's orders and when they consequently decided she was healthy enough for Harvoni. Then she started having "minor" neurological problems like numbness and weakness, which were not listed side effects, and it makes me wonder what horrible effects might pop up in a few years. The Harvoni ended a couple months ago, but not before she started having the headaches they did warn about but still won't go away.

Firekin4

Original Poster
Then she got her flu shot last week, is already at the sinus infection stage of her yearly cycle of failure, and already got the first round of antibiotics called in. I've kept my mouth shut all summer, but I don't wanna see her in and out of the hospital all winter again, so I've been begging her to take her health into her own hands, to consider how irrational it is that something that destroys gut flora, the vanguard of our immune system, could possibly strengthen it and prevent illness. She only screams at me to shut up, that I don't know what I'm talking about because I'm not a doctor, I'm the reason she's sick because what I tell her stresses her out, she refuses to even read any studies or articles because "that's not research either, just reading what someone else wrote", and she fails to understand the difference between backtracking citations and just taking someone's word, which she does yet condemns me for. I'm afraid that if this mindset continues, she'll die this winter.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I feel for you, I certainly hope she doesn't die this winter, but she does seem to be in an endless cycle of treatments, causing illness, demanding more treatments. I'm older than your mother, and thankfully don't think like she does, but it's a sad fact that many others do, so she's not alone.

Many people, especially seniors, think their doctor's word is gospel, and don't realize that they are just going through the motions of giving their patients the recommended vaccines, antibiotics, and other treatments over and over again each year.

Even if these doctors did not agree with the treatments they were giving, they're not able to voice their objections without it affecting their medical careers, and they also have families to support.

You can't force your mother not to get vaccinations, and unfortunately, if she's not open to listening to you and reading information for herself, your hands are tied, regardless of how good your intentions are for your mom.

If you can get her to at least take some daily vitamins and supplements, it may benefit her health despite her medical routines. I would say that vitamin D3 daily is must for the immune system, at least 2,000 IUs.

A good quality probiotic will help support her intestinal flora after her doses of antibiotics are over, try to make her see the value. Also, a good Omega 3 fish oil like NOW lemon flavored liquid, would assist the D3.

Magnesium Malate may help with her RA, along with Magnesium Citrate. If she has COPD and refuses to quit smoking, she is a hard case for sure.

Do what you can to help her out, but don't feel too bad if she refuses your help, she's set in her ways and has to wake up to a realization about her health on her own, then she can really move forward. Kudos for caring enough to try and post about this problem.

JanH

I agree that you're probably not going to change her mind. I've tried for years to convince my elderly aunt how bad flu shots are. I've sent her articles about the dangers and how little they can actually help. Every single year she gets yet another one. MOST of the population is brainwashed that doctors know best and it's pretty darn unlikely that is going to change. As with most issues, we can only control ourselves and our lives. Although California and other states are doing their best to get us all vaccinated against everything they possibly can.

Firekin4

Original Poster
Thank you all so much! She finally apologized and said she won't get anymore vaccines if that's what makes me happy, I believe her about....well I was gonna say about as far as I can throw her, but that would probably actually be pretty far. But whatever can be done to help. Is there anything she can do to detox the formaldehyde, mercury, antifreeze, etc from the vaccines?

larryz

This is difficult but if your mother won't take control of her health it's a lost cause. My mom is the same way. I feel I'm a shining example of health via nutrition and exercise and no drugs for decades but she still is wedded to the conventional medical system. Brainwashed. Any time I suggest a nutritional supplement she wants to ask her doctor about it first (??) ...I tell her conventional doctors are clueless about this but she doesn't listen. It's sad but I've given up trying to convince her.

Firekin4

Original Poster
That's exactly what my mom does, says she'll consider my advice but has to ask the doctor. I KINDA get that because she's on oxycodone, fentanyl, and alprazolam (though she rarely takes that thank Jesus), and I know some herbs interact with some toxins, but they're gonna lie anyways and say the herbs are useless/dangerous even if it's bullshit. Like she has an appointment with a doctor about her lupus, and she said she's gonna tell him right away that she doesn't want his drugs, she just wants to know what she should eat and what supplements to take. I admire her intentions, but she just doesn't get that he's just gonna tell her drugs are her only option anyways. They can't make money on food, and even on the rare chance they do suggest supplements, they wanna prescribe theirs, which are mostly plastic. So I told her what a doctor would recommend if they were honest informed people, what to eat like she wants to know, and I can only pray she sticks to her guns and takes my word.