Horsetail for Osteoporosis

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
So I've been taking a clinical nutrition course and the instructor has been reluctant to make recommendations on product Brands but he has let 2 or 3 slip on through.

When we got to studying Osteoporosis he had a recommendation that took me by surprise. He recommends Horsetail and this specific product I show below.

So I've used horsetail over the years for certain things but had not considered it for osteoporosis. Its mainly a source of silicon, not magnesium or calcium.

He went on to explain that silica, and particularly with this product due to the way its manufactured, will convert from silica to calcium, that there is an actual biochemial conversion of elements through the transfer of protons. Yes, Protons, not electrons. He calls this process Biological Transmutation and he goes through the proton changes that can occur.

Now this is kind of out there and not taught in your average university, at least here in the USA. He recommends the book called Biological Transmutations by Dr. Louis Kervan of the Sorbonne University in Paris. He says that a proton of an element will share the proton of another element. For instance: Sodium has an atomic weight of 23. Oxygen has an atomic weight of 16. 23 plus 16 make 39 and thats the atomic weight of potassium. What? Do we have a new way to make potassium?....I believe we do he goes on to say, but we have got to have enough oxygen in order to do it.

He goes on to say that all over Germany and France educational institutions subscribe to the Kervan theory. Kervan claims that silica, when extracted from a plant based source, not sand, is very biologically available form that can be transmutated within the body into calcium. Osteoporosis cure is possible in 6 to 9 weeks on this protocol according to my instructor.

My teacher recommends Alta Horsetail and a product from Flora.

So here is the treatment recommendation:
Alta Silica 16 capsules a day for 3 weeks.
then 12 capsules a day for 3 weeks
then 8 capsules a day for 3 weeks
and then a maintenance dose of 6 caps a day for 1 year
take 2 caps after each meal.

So, has anyone tried this? And what do you think?

Prof. KERVRAN'S PROCESS
https://www.altahealthproducts.com/sillicainfo.htm

The HORSETAIL SILICA process that makes the difference!

As reported in the Swedish newspaper, Halsoblast, many well known stars use Prof. Kervran's silica: Joan Collins, Goldie Hawn and Barbra Streisand all credit their youthful skin to Prof. Kervran's vegetal silica. ALTA Health Products is the largest manufacturer of Prof. Kervran's vegetal Silica and has been using only his finest process for 30 years.
Thirty Years of Integrity come with every bottle of ALTA SILICA and each and every bottle contains that special water soluble extract from European springtime Horsetail. It is this process that makes ALTA SILICA the Star's friend, proving very beneficial for thick hair, strong nails and firm, supple, young looking skin!

Organic Silica was originally brought to the United States in 1972 by Dr. Richard Barmakian, founder of Alta Health Products. Under the guidance of biophysicist and Nobel Prize nominee Professor Louis C. Kervran. Prof. Kervran's process chelates, or bonds vegetal silica to a group of water-soluble bioflavonoids. These organic compounds take silica and guide it through the intestinal wall to the bloodstream. Inorganic silica is NOT ABSORBED by the human body!

Testimonial evidence abounds that ALTA's Silica improves hair, nails and skin! Dr. Barmakian was so sure of the Kervran difference that he provided it to the Las Vegas Show Girls in 1972. Sales of ALTA SILICA have remained constant, in relation to growth, in the Vegas area for the past 30 years and have taken off all over the country. The Kervran process utilizes the silica-rich European springtime horsetail (Equisetum urvense) with a unique aqueous extraction method that neutralizes the alkaloids in the horsetail. Dr. E. M. Carlisle's studies indicate that vegetal silica helps calcium, and possibly phosphorus, find its way to bones, hair and cartilage (Silicon, in Biochemistry of the Essential Ultratrace Elements, E. Frieden ed., Plenum Press, NY., NY., 1984). Both Kervran and Carlisle present evidence that silica may have what it takes to remineralize calcium into the bone, thus supporting the body's power to prevent osteoporosis!

Dr. Barmakian called this Silica the Original Internal Cosmetic.

Always choose the best! Always choose ALTA's Silica!

Alta: https://www.altahealthproducts.com/silica.htm
Flora: https://www.iherb.com/productdetails.aspx?c=1&pid=3062&utm_source=gb&utm_medium=f3
Flora: https://www.luckyvitamin.com/item/itemKey/61211

Last edited:

Mari

Arrow,

Does your instructor consider Alta and Flora to be equivalents? Flora at iherb is considerably cheaper.

The Alta site states: "Silica is an essential trace mineral that plays a biological role in the processes by which bone, cartilage, connective tissue and skin are formed and is a component of collagen."

I am wondering if this product would be helpful in healing an ulcer on my anklebone that I’ve had for about six months that just keeps getting bigger. I’m not diabetic, have decent circulation and no vein problems, so there is no good reason why I should have an ulcer problem.

Since I have osteoporosis, I’ll probably give it a try anyway.

Mari

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
Original Poster
Mari,

Dont know about the ulcer and horsetail. I would try calendula 200c potency once a day. I have healed some very strange ulcers with calendula homeopathic. I'm assuming it is not actively infected? No drainage, odor etc.

He did not state specifically if they were equivalent. I assume he thinks so or he would not have bothered to state Flora. The alta product is the one the reports and research have come from.

I will be looking forward to hearing what your outcome is. I just prepared an osteoporosis protocol for someone I know who has very frail bones. Has had many fractures. I will post it for you.

Arrow

Sally B.

Leg Ulcer!

Mari,

While doing some research yesterday, I read that a zinc deficiency can cause leg ulcers. You might want to do your own research. I don't remember the website.

Sally B.

Mari

Sally,

I just upped my zinc a week ago. I had called the Health Advisors at Life Extension for some suggestions and that was one of their recommendations. I get 35mg in my multi and then I added a zinc lozenge a couple of times a day (24mg each).

Mari

LadyHawk

Horsetail Side Effects???

All this information about massive doses of horsetail for years on end sounds promising for osteoporosis sufferers -- unless and until you have read the DrugDigest.org article on horsetail https://www.drugdigest.org/DD/PrintablePages/herbMonograph/0,11475,4126,00.html) The article says that horsetail contains small amounts of nicotine, that children under the age of 18 and individuals who are allergic to nicotine should not take horsetail by mouth, and that the diuretic effects of oral horsetail may worsen heart disease or kidney conditions by decreasing the levels of potassium in the body.

The DrugDigest.org article also contends that the use of horsetail is not recommended during pregnancy or while breast-feeding. It says that
cattle and other animals that continually eat large quantities of horsetail may suffer from toxicity similar to nicotine poisoning. Then, because the effects of nicotine are more pronounced for children than adults, the article recommneds that individuals under the age of 18 should stay away from taking horsetail.

Horsetail is apparently known to block the absorption of thiamine, one of the B vitamins, and -- according to the DrugDigest.com article -- if it is taken for more than a few days, a thiamine deficiency is remotely possible. If prolonged, thiamine deficiency may cause nerve damage.

Less severe side effects include occasional cases of seborrheic dermatitis -- an oozing, scaly, itchy rash that has been reported by individuals taking or handling horsetail. Individuals who take a diuretic drug (e.g., Dyazide, furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide, and many others) should consult with a doctor or pharmacist before using horsetail because horse in conjunction with diuretics may promote dangerously low levels of potassium in the blood (also known as hypokalemia).

Moreover, since horsetail may contain small amounts of nicotine, the articles suggests that "taking it at the same time as smoking cigarettes or using nicotine replacement products (gum, lozenges, or patches) could result in nicotine overdose."

Perhaps the greatest point of contradiction between these two different schools of thought is that the DrugDigest.org article recommends that no more than 6,000 mg (6 grams) of oral horsetail be taken per day, and that horsetail should not be taken continuously for more than 5 days at a time. That's quite a different view from the one expresed above.

What say the rest of you?

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
Original Poster
Well. The article says that horsetail may contain nicotine. It does not say that horsetail contains nicotine. So does it or does it not? I do know that good horsetail is grown in very specific areas to provide superior quality.

Personally, I do not really have much concern about taking in small amounts of nicotine. And I see no reason why a child would use or even need this herb taken at this dosage.

The article says they would not recommend taking in more than 6 grams of horsetail a day. 6 grams equals 12 capsules. Maintenance dose is 6 caps a day, 3 grams.

I say the proof is in the pudding. People have been using this stuff for many years. I'll be watching for Thiamine deficiency. Haven't seen any yet. A multi B vitamin would eliminate any such worry. All I can say is that my skin is great since I started using silica products in general, and now the horsetail. And those diuretics can cause seriously dangerous levels of potassium and any doctor worth his salt will be checking potassium levels periodically anyway.

So why does the article say you shouldn't take it for more than 5 days? They don't say.

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
Original Poster
Then again, if you go into the article provided you will read that the process that they use to extract the horsetail is said to nutralize alkaloids. So that just takes the wind out the argument since Nicotine is an alkaloid. Nicotine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And this article states that it is rich in potassium so it is hard to understand how it would promote hyokalemia. As a diuretic, for that reason it may be much safer than the above mentioned diuretics, as those drugs can really screw you up, without doubt. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equisetum_arvense

Last edited:

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
Original Poster
Actually BigAl, I thought the nine step plan was on the link I provided above but it was not. here it is:

Osteoporosis – A Nine Step Plan

There are two reasons why osteoporosis occurs according to a clinical nutrition perspective. The first and most obvious reason is that enough of the raw ingredients necessary for bone formation are not taken in. It is a myth that calcium is the key to bone construction. It is only one of the players. It requires a synergistic union of a number of compounds and minerals to create bone matter. First and foremost, the raw materials must be supplied and most of these will be in minerals. Secondary are the necessary vitamins.
The second reason that osteoporosis occurs is that there are digestive inadequacies that are preventing the ingested raw materials from getting into the body. Inadequate digestion will keep the minerals and other supporting nutrients from entering the blood stream.
In the elderly there may also be hormonal issues. Have the thyroid and parathyroid checked. Do not accept the medication called synthroid or anything similar if there is a hypothryoid conditon. Demand Armour thyroid. An iodine supplement should be considered and the thyroid rechecked after 3 months of supplementation.

1. Silica is essential for the formation of bone matrix, and the repair of tough connective tissue in joints as well as bones. . It provides the body with strength and flexibility. I would take a natural plant based silica product for the best effect. There are reported cases of cure of osteoporosis with the use of Horsetail herb which is very high in silica and which is highly bioavailable. Many cures have been reported in just 9 weeks but for very advanced osteoporosis it of course would take longer.
Purchase it here:
silica
Phone: Ph 800-423-4155
I would take 16 capsules a day for for 3 weeks, then 12 a day for 3 weeks, then 8 a day for 3 weeks, and then maintenance dose of 6 caps a day, (2 after each meal.

This is my preferred product from iherb.com and is recommended from my clinical nutrition instructor.
https://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=3062&at=0

You know. No one likes the cure word in conventional or alternative health. It really puts people on on a limb of expectation. But my clinical nutrition teacher uses the cure word for osteoporosis with the use of this silica horsetail product. This product may be a little spendy. After the results are seen I would seek a less expensive organic Horsetail Herb product.

2. Vitamin D3
must be increased. Do not think you will get it from the sun as elderly people loose the capacity to produce vitamin D from the sun. Actually this capacity starts to decrease in the early ‘30’s. I advise that you get your vitamin D levels checked. You want the 25 hydroxy vit D3 level test, not any other. You want your D level to rise to between 40 and 50, 50 being optimum. It is very difficult to get a D level to rise. You will need to mega dose on D until it occurs. It may take several months. Recheck your D level at 6 weeks and adjust your dosage accordingly. When you have reached a 40 to 50 level you can cut back but will still have to supplement daily to maintain your level. When you get to this point use a D supplement that is derived from fish oil such as this one:
To start I would use a product like this.

D3 50,0000 iu 2 x day for one week, then I would take it 1 x day for a week, . then I reduced to 10,000 IU daily. After 6 weeks I had my Vitamin D3 levels checked. Now I take a fish oil product equaling 5,000 IU a day for maintenance. This is what I have done but many different products can be used and in different strengths. If I had access to the injection that is what I would use as it is easier than a pill.

Jarrow Formulas Vitamin D3 -- 400 IU - 100 Softgels - www.Vitacost.com you will need 12 per day! You can divide them out through the day. Fortunately they are cheap!
Vitamin D will help to reconstruct bones and it will prevent cancer.

https://secure.bio-tech-pharm.com/catalog.aspx?cat_id=2
I have been using this above product, in 50,000 IU, one cap daily at the beginning of my protocol. Some people just take one of these a week after their optimal Vit D3 levels have been achieved. This is my preferred product.

Vitamin D3 Notes from the Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy Conference I attended:

Ellie Campbell D.O. Family Doctor and Bio - Identical Hormone Expert

Methods of Application of Vit D3
1. Orally
2. Topical D3 replacement therapy lotion
3. Injection

Vitmain D injection
Dr. Campbell recommends:
One time a year injection of Custom compounded
400,000 to 600,000 IU vitamin D3

Most people will be restored with one injection but there are a few who require a second injection and those people may need 5,000 IU daily to maintain a level 50 over the year.
Dr Campbell recommends the injection to almost all her patients.

In the USA there is no RDA for Vit D

1000 IU is inadequate to restore or to maintain a level 50
2,000 is required to sustain a D level of 50.

deficiency requires 5 to 10,000 IU per day.
Recheck D3 after 5 to 6 weeks
(400 IU is 1/10 of what is needed)

In India each nursing home patient gets a 600,000 IU injection per year routinely!

D levels of 46 to 50 is of best advantage for preventing cancer

Signs of Deficiency over a long period of time:

Proximal muscle weakness
(They can not get out of a chair unless they push themselves and this is caused by deficiency in vit D)
Osteoporosis
Bone pain
Depression
Brain fog
Insomnia
weak fingernails
weak pelvic muscles

The Right Test – use bioidentical vit D3 as the body can process it better
25 hydroxy vit D3 level
1, 25 hydroxy vit D3 level ( don’t use this test as it measures the 1 25 molecule and it has a short half life and you may think you have adequate levels but it does not last )

If Vitamin D stores are adequate the need for high dosages of calcium are not needed. High dosages of supplemental calcium can cause problems, kidney stones. Get most of your calcium from green veggies and the amount you will need to supplement will be much less.

You need the minerals calcium protein magnesium, iodine, strontium, boron, plus exercise with Vit D3 to prevent osteoporois.

She does not recommend any prescription osteoporosis medication.

If you find that some of the supplements you are taking offer Vitamin D and you are concerned about taking too much do not worry. It is turning out that overdosing on Vitamin D is a myth and largely based on inaccurate studies. As a maintenance dose, after your vitamin D3 levels are testing up between 40 and 50, Vitamin D3 5,000 IU to 10,000 IU daily is OK. As time goes by you may see where you need to level off at but only testing will be able to assist you with this.

3. Vitamin K2

https://www.healthmegamall.com/prodView-Life-Extension-Foundation-Super-K-With-Advanced-K2-Complex-90-softgels_s_c_p38099.htm
or: iHerb.com - Product Details - Jarrow Formulas, MK-7, 90 mcg, 60 Softgels
You need at least 90 mcg. This product may help prevent stroke and other vascular issues. If you are on a blood thinner like warfarin/coumadin discuss this with your doctor first.
An abundance of human clinical data reveals that vitamin K plays a critical role in maintaining healthy bone density by facilitating the transport of calcium from the bloodstream into the bone. Few doctors understand that vitamin K is also required by calcium-regulating proteins in the arteries. without adequate vitamin K, calcium in the blood can bind to the arterial wall resulting in calcification. As people age, even a subclinical vitamin K deficiency can pose risks to the vascular system.
Vitamin K1 is obtained in the diet primarily from dark leafy vegetables (lettuce, spinach, and broccoli). Unfortunately, vitamin K1 is tightly bound to the chlorophyll in green plants, thus, aging humans are not always able to benefit from ingested K1-containing plants. While vitamin K1 is not absorbed particularly well from food, it is absorbed from supplements, provided that the supplements are taken with meals.
Vitamin K2 is found in only small quantities in the diet, primarily in dairy products. Human studies show that vitamin K2 is absorbed up to ten times more than K1. Vitamin K2 remains biologically active in the body far longer than K1. For instances, K1 is rapidly cleared by the liver within 8 hours, whereas measurable levels of K2 have been detected 72 hours after ingestion.
Super K provides vitamin K1 and a new biologically active form of vitamin K2 known as menaquinone-7. The menaquinone-7 form of vitamin K is not metabolized quickly by the liver, thereby making it available to provide a more consistent supply of vitamin K to the body.

4. Magnesium
I guarantee that you are magnesium deficient. Magnesium is more important than calcium for bone construction and the ratio of magnesium to calcium should be al least 1 to 1. Some alternative practitions say 2 to 1, with calcium the lesser ingredient.

For Magnesium take a bath with this at least 3 times a week. Transdermal absorption of magnesium will provide the best application of magnesium. You will also take magnesium pills daily. One does not exclude the other,
https://www.globallight.net/Magnesium-Bath-Flakes-30-Oz.html
Or at a better price: Health And Wisdom Magnesium Oil, Gel, Prills, Laminar Mica
Telephone
877-852-5641

Find magnesium chloride product and take 600 mg a day.
Find also a calcium citrate product and take at least 250 to 400 mg a day.

This is a good magnesium product. Really, magnesium chloride it the best for absorption. MAGNESIUMCHLORIDE
Take three a day and do the baths also. You must saturate your body with magnesium. Ph 800-423-4155

5. Protien. To build bones protein is essential. You need lots of high quality protein. Fish, chicken, eggs are great. Red meat once a week is permissible. You need at least 40 grams of protein a day.

Look into liquid colloidal collagen products, and or Jarrow Whey for supplementation that is easily absorbed.

Here’s the hitch. Most elderly people do not digest their protein properly. As we age our ability to digest protein goes way down due to a decrease in the production of hydrochloric acid and other enzymes. You will need an HCL supplement to take with all your protein meals and at this stage of the game all your meals should have a protein.

Twenty years of tests done at the Tahoma Clinic in Washington have shown that 90 percent of individuals with osteoporosis have low stomach acid. If your stomach acid is low, your body won’t be able to absorb calcium, strontium, and other minerals nearly as well, and your results won’t be as good.

This is cut and paste that really tells the story quite accurately about Hydrochloric Acid.

Stomach Acid – From Betaine HCL supports stomach function and protein digestion

Individuals suffering with stomach and intestinal problems most frequently assume that heartburn, indigestion, gas, and reflux are caused by overproduction of stomach acid. This common misconception has been strongly re-enforced by our conventional medical profession, whose practitioners routinely prescribe stomach acid blocking medications at the slightest sign of stomach dysfunction, failing to properly diagnose the digestive problem by first monitoring the stomach's acid producing function, using scientific methods and neglecting to provide patients with common sense dietary recommendations.

The Symptoms of Over and Under-Production Are The Same
Strangely enough, the symptoms of stomach acid (hydrochloric acid, HCL) over-production and under production are virtually identical. It is therefore unwise to jump to conclusions regarding what's occurring in the stomach without actual testing.

Medical Misdiagnosis Is Very Common
The pharmaceutical firms with their considerable influence on the medical profession have, through advertising, incentives to doctors and various other forms of indoctrination, made it an almost reflex reaction on the part of most physicians, even many gastro-enterologists, to jump to the conclusion that a mojority of gastric problems can be easily treated by the use of acid blocking medications. Because the American public over-consumes unhealthy food at an alarming rate, the routine use of acid blockers is highly profitable for pharmaceutical firms, provides instant relief for many sufferers, but can bring about long-term health problems for many misdiagnosed users.

Functions of Hydrochloric Acid
Hydrochloric acid serves many functions, the three most important are:
1. It is the primary digestive juice responsible for breaking down proteins, preparing them for assimilation.
2. It acts as a protective barrier, killing many potentially harmful micro-organisms in our food.
3. It acts as a venting mechanism for the build-up of excessive concentrations of hydrogen ions in our blood and interstitial fluids. In other words, we consume acid forming foods and / or engage in acid forming activity, the production of stomach acid uses up considerable amounts of the acid forming material (hydrogen ions) thereby assisting in the elimination of excessive tissue acidity. The stomach acid once combined with food is eventually neutralized further down the alimentary canal by alkaline pancreatic secretions.

Underproduction Of Stomach Acid Is A Common Problem
Based upon the testing of sample groups, it has been theorized that well over half of the U.S. population beyond the age of fifty years is under-producing hydrochloric acid on a constant basis, leading to a host of digestive and immune disturbances. One need not be of middle age to have this problem, nowadays it's not uncommon in younger persons as well. The demineralized, devitalized diet that so many are consuming greatly contributes to this problem, which can be significantly compounded by many individuals' preference for extremely low salt intake.

Directions For Use of Betaine HCL
When using Betaine HCL with Pepsin for the first few times, please be sure to follow the directions carefully. Always take Betaine HCL at the start of the meal! If taken without food, stomach burning may result.

1. At the very start of the meal, take one capsule of Betaine HCL. Monitor how your stomach feels during and after eating. Should any burning or heaviness occur, or if burning has been present previously (before taking the supplement) and is now worsened with the use of the Betaine HCL, do not continue using this supplement!!! This is an indication that your stomach is overproducing acid, or that your stomach lining may be damaged. In such cases, please consider the use of Alkabase, Gastric Complex-HP and/or Mastica, to normalize excess acid production and heal the stomach lining.

2. If the first dose of Betaine HCL provided no noticeable stomach discomfort, try taking two capsules at the start of your next meal, again monitor for burning and or heaviness during and after eating. If taking two capsules produces some discomfort, but one capsule does not, restrict yourself to one capsule at the start of each meal. If the two capsule dose produced no discomfort, try three capsules at the start of your next meal.

3. If all goes well when taking three capsules at the start of each meal, stay with that dosage, most individuals will not require increasing the dosage to four capsules. Regular use of supplemental hydrochloric acid will in most cases "re-train" the stomach to produce higher concentrations of acid on its own. This process may take anywhere from several weeks to several months, depending on the individual. The most significant indication that acid production is improving is that Betaine HCL supplementation can no longer be comfortably tolerated.

An Example:
After having used the Betaine HCL for eleven weeks, at a dosage of two capsules per meal, without any discomfort, Joan now notices that she feels a burning sensation when taking the two capsules. She therefore reduces her dosage to one capsule at mealtime. After several more weeks, even one capsule per meal produces burning and Joan discontinues altogether. This is a sign that the stomach has been re-trained to produce adequate concentrations of hydrochloric acid without the further need for supplementation.

When consuming meals that contain little or no protein, much less hydrochloric acid is needed by the stomach to process its contents. Please keep this in mind when using Betaine HCL as a supplement and modify your usage accordingly. Be sure the Betaine product you choose has Pepsin in it also.
https://www.modernherbalist.com/pics/betaineHCL.jpg
or here: iHerb.com - Search - betaine hcl

I like the iHerb.com - Vitamins, Supplements & Natural Health Products distribution company for a really good price deal.

Now that you have the help you need to digest protein properly here is a great predigested protein product that will easily amp up your grams of protein. It is whey and is just a great product. I mix mine with apple juice and drink it daily. With a product like this you will increase your protein intake about 20 grams without all the fat that is usually associated with protein intake. Be sure to take a Betain HCL supplement when you drink this shake
iHerb.com - Product Details - Jarrow Formulas, Whey Protein, Vanilla Flavor, 2 lbs (908 g)

6. Calcium - So What about Calcium?
Women are continually told to take more and more calcium, 1200-1500 milligrams of supplemental calcium per day. It’s a giant mistake. Women who eat a good diet already get about 600-800 milligrams of calcium, particularly if they eat dairy products. Thus they only need about 600-800 milligrams of supplemental calcium with an equal amount of magnesium. About 10 percent of American women already consume excessive amounts of calcium and suffer with side effects (calcifications, muscle cramps, constipation, eyelid twitches, migraines, heart flutters). While it is true that women are losing calcium from their bones on a daily basis after age 40, that calcium is being deposited in their blood vessels (atherosclerosis), joints (arthritis), kidneys (stones), eyes (cataracts), heart valves (mitral valve), aorta (hypertension) and muscles (fibromyalgia, constipation and cramping). Women are trading one disease for at least six others!! The answer to this dilemma is to consume equal amounts of calcium and magnesium. Modern medicine’s answer to calcium overdose is to prescribe over $2 billion of calcium-blocking drugs! Can you imagine, doctors have placed some women on calcium and calcium-blocker drugs at the same time??!!
Women are also mistakenly told they must take calcium and magnesium at different times of the day to ensure proper absorption. This is nonsense. Magnesium does interfere with calcium absorption because that is exactly what it is designed to do. In an animal study, supplemental magnesium reduced calcium absorption but prevented bone loss and increased bone strength. [Journal Nutrition 2000 Feb; 130: 216-20] In a study conducted in South Africa, women who were given 250 milligrams of supplemental magnesium daily absorbed less calcium, but their bone strength increased. [Metabolism 2000, Aug; 49: 1092-96] Calcium by itself doesn’t help rebuild age-related bone mass, it only slows down the rate of bone loss. Women of America.. stop buying into the idea that bone density tests and calcium are your cure-alls.

Find a calcium citrate and take about 250mg a day. Remember, there is more magnesium in bone than calcium. We have been misinformed for many years.

veggies provide the complex phytonutrients necessary to deposit bone into the matrix and some are high in calcium. Broccoli is a winner as is green cabbage, celery, dandilion greens, chinese cabbage, Okra. You should be eating at least 2 foods off off this chart daily that rank in the 30’s or 40’s or greater. Pumpkin Pie any one? Always remember that organic vegetables either fresh or canned will have higher mineral content as they are grown in mineral rich soils.
This chart will show you the calcium content of vegetables
Calcium content of Raw Vegetables

This is a good product for calcium. You want calcium CITRATE. Mix it in some juice. One half teaspoon will be sufficient.. Do not mix this calcium with your protein shake as Calcium tends to nutralize hydrochloric acid (remember Tums?) Or if you prefer you can find a pill instead of powder. But 250 to 350mg should be sufficient. You should be getting most of your calcium from fresh vegetables. If you can’t eat vegetables increase the amount of calcium you take to about 600 mg. iHerb.com - Product Details - Now Foods, Calcium Citrate Powder, 8 oz (227 g)

Now the second blockbuster -- 1000 milligrams of supplemental calcium and 400 IU of vitamin D do raise bone density scores, but don't prevent fractures in senior women. The dairy industry initially influenced health authorities to recommend calcium. The dietary supplement industry followed the ill advice as long as it promoted their products.
But there is no possible way calcium supplements can work from a scientific standpoint. Calcium is being lost from bone due to the decline in estrogen production. Think of a fawcet that is dripping calcium into the blood circulation. What good will it do to pour calcium into a bucket of water with a leak in the bottom? All that women have been doing is increasing the amount of calcium clogging their arteries, kidneys, heart valves, and yes, their breast tissue (calcifications are one of the first signs of breast cancer on mammograms). Worse yet, Mildred Seelig, an authority on minerals, cites the fact that estrogen plus calcium increases the risk for blood clots. [Journal American College Nutrition 23:482S-496S, 2004] Dr. Seelig has said the prescription of supplemental calcium plus estrogen also increases anxiety in women, for which many tranquilizers are then prescribed.
So, the 15-year study involving 36,000 women found calcium supplements are worthless, and it predictably increased the risk for kidney stones as well. [New England Journal of Medicine 354: 669-83, 2006] An article in the Washington Post quotes one author of the study saying "I can see how women might be confused." Women? It's the researchers who are confused. One expert said the data were "very sobering." Walter Willett of the Harvard School of Public Health, said: "I think it's clear this study was a mistake."
By Bill Sardi

7. Boron and Strontium and other trace minerals are required to form quality bone matrix.

This is for boron and is a small pill that can should be taken at the same time of day as your calcium: iHerb.com - Product Details - Now Foods, Boron, 3 mg, 250 Capsules

Taking strontium in addition to calcium is more effective than calcium alone. Numerous studies have demonstrated that strontium does much more than slow the deterioration of your bones—it actually stimulates rapid bone formation. A 2004 double-blind, placebo controlled study published in the New England Journal of Medicine showed that a combination of strontium ranelate, calcium, and vitamin D increased bone density by 9 to 15 percent over three years.1 Research conducted in the 80s by one of the same researchers showed under-the-microscope improvement in bone density with strontium carbonate and calcium. And research done at the Mayo Clinic in the 50s showed both clinical and x-ray improvement with a third form of strontium. (per Dr Jonathan Wright MD of the Tacoma Clinic)

I use a strontium-containing supplement. Look at the following products. One is called Osteo-mins AM & and then there is Ostomins PM. Because some leading researchers state that calcium and strontium mutually inhibit each other’s absorption, calcium is in the PM part of the formula, and strontium is in the AM.

Nutrimed Labs: Osteo Mins AM #K1110 or
Osteo-mins AM
Take these pills as directed on the label and it has the boron and strontium in it. Take it at the opposite time of day that you take your calcium. Then….

Nutrimed Labs: Osteo Mins PM with D & K #K1100
Osteo-mins PM
Do not take these pills AT ALL as they have too much calcium and not enough magnesium. I just put this here so you would understand why not to order it even though I recommend the AM pills.

Trace minerals. This is a good product and since its liquid it can go into your protein shake. You need trace minerals. Osteoporosis is primarily a mineral deficiency disease complicated by hormonal issues and vitamin deficiency.
Reach For Life Nutrition :: Search results

8. Exercise. Weight bearing exercise has proven time and time again to increase bone density and should be added to the above nutritional program. Due to the severity of the osteoarthritis a low weight is indicated. Start with about ½ to one pound weight and you may find what you are looking for in the kitchen cupboard. A can of soup or similar product will provide sufficient weight to do a repetitive lifting exercise with. Studies indicate that lifting ½ to one pound weights will stimulate deposit of bone into the matrix. Increase weights slowly. You should not need to go over 2 to 3 pounds in the first year. I do recommend that you contact a physical therapist to develop a weight bearing program specifically designed for you that you can do at home.

A study of wheel chair bound patients who did weight lifting with 2 pound weights revealed that bone matrix and density increased in the legs and arms of these patients even though the weights were only lifted with the arms.

9. Hormones –
The University of Toledo has an excellent in-depth description of the role of estrogen, minerals, thyroid hormone and vitamin D, in maintaining bone health. Here is the link to their website:

Eldery women develop osteoporosis due to the fact that they
stopped producing estrogen, which sends a signal to hold calcium in bones. It’s obvious, women need to replace estrogen, but in more mild ways than estrogen-replacement therapy.
The evident answer is to consume plant estrogens (isoflavones from soy, lignans from flaxseed), that are about 1/1000th the strength of human estrogen). [Asia Pac J Clinical
Nutrition 13:S74, 2004]

Barleans High Lingan Flax seed oil – available at any good health food store or Lignans by Flora: Flora's High Lignan Flax Oil Certified Organic 8.5oz HouseOfNutrition.com $8.63

High-lignan flaxseed oil – So now, if you are convinced calcium supplements are not the sole answer to the problem of age-related bone loss, then what about plant estrogens?
Here again, the answer is simple. Obtain the amount of plant estrogens that women in Asian countries consume, about 25-50 milligrams per day. A good source of phytoestrogens is lignans from flaxseed.
Copyright 2005 Bill Sardi, Knowledge of Health, Inc. 2

To obtain the same amount of plant estrogens as Asian
women, who have lower rates of bone fractures due to
osteoporosis, which of the supplements at left do you
select?

Some flaxseed oil products attempt to add some
flax particles back into the pressed seed oil to
increase the amount of lignans. About 2% of flax
particles are lignans, so 3000 milligrams of flax
particulates would provide about 6 milligrams of
lignans. The North American diet only provides
about 1 milligram of plant estrogens per day,
which when combined with high-lignan flaxseed
oil, is still far short of the 25-50 milligrams Asian
women consume daily. Flaxseed oil is a wonder food, the most concentrated source of
omega-3 oils, but for bone health, women should consume flaxseed meal (the crushed seed), which provides about 25 milligrams of lignans per tablespoon. In severe cases of
bone loss and other health issues related to cessation of estrogen production, purified lignan
extract is also available ( www.brevail.com ) Brevail - 30 caps - Breast Health
Crushed flax seeds can be made in a coffee grinder but some people find that it has a strong laxative effect. Severe osteoporosis would require 1 to 2 tablespoons a day that can be sprinkled on cereal or salads. Look into Brevail if you can not tolerate crushed flax seed.

Treating Osteoarthritis

Although I do think that mineral depletion does play a role in osteoarthiritis there are other concerns. Arthritis in general is an inflammation due to often times unknown factors.

1. It can be caused by stress and over use.
2. It can be caused by a microbial invasion to the cartilage and other joint tissues.
3. It can be caused by an inflammatory response that for some reason cannot turn off.

In order to heal these joints the first thing that needs to be done is to eliminate inflammation. If inflammation is present it is very difficult for other joint tissues to regenerate. CMO (cetylmyristoleate) is a fatty acid ester made from sperm whale oil. It is highly effective in reducing and most often at eliminating inflammation in joints. When this is done the nutrients of glucosamine and condroitin can do a more effective job in rebuilding tissue.

CMO may require one to three months of therapy. Some people will respond very quickly, in just a week or two, then a few others may require treatment up to 6 months but this is quite unusual. CMO is perfectly safe and will not hurt you in any way even with extended use. You will know if it is working in the first month, This site will provide extensive CMO details.
Cetyl Myristoleate for Arthritis, CMO, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteoarthritis

For CMO with the product name of Inflameze purchase it here. About $15.00
Reach For Life Nutrition
This is also a good place to purchase trace minerals also and they should be taken with any osteoarthritis and osteoporosis protocol.

For joint reconstruction with glucosamine and condrointin:
Reach For Life Nutrition :: Joint Care (with collagen)

Last edited:

yama34

yama34

Bear with me; 1st time user.

Regarding information on horsetail, would you tell me if you think one should START WITH the 8 capsules for 3 weeks instead of the 12 for 3 weeks.

The article referred to not taking any more than 6 grams a day.

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
Original Poster
Hi Yama,

If you are really interested in horsetail I suggest that you read this entire thread as we have discussed some of the issues that may concern you.

I think that the idea that 6 grams a day as a maximum dose is presented in the article that suggests that the alkaloids in horsetail are potential problems. Alta and Vegatal Silica have been processed to breakdown the alkaloids so the problem is removed. Read my 2 posts dated 12.06.08

Actually the starting dose is 6 grams, divided, a day.
I use Vegetal Silica as it was recommended by my teacher, It has 410 mg of spring horsetail per capsule. (which provides 10mg of silica) Thats a total of 6.5 grams a day.

Of course this dosage is recommended for Osteoporosis, which is an extreme dificiency disease. In dificiency diseases often times it is required to flood the body with the nutrients needed till it catches up.
so the recommendation is this: Take 16 capsules a day for for 3 weeks, then 12 a day for 3 weeks, then 8 a day for 3 weeks, and then maintenance dose of 6 caps a day, (2 after each meal.)

So to answer your question. Yes I would start with 16 capsules a day. I would take 6 in the am, then 5 at noon and 5 after dinner for the first 3 weeks. This treatment is for osteoporosis though, which is an extreme condition. I don't have this problem and I have found that I benefit greatly from just 2 caps a day which will deliver 20mg of silica.

I have liked it better than using Jarrow liquid silica drops. With that product my nails would grow long and no longer peel but they would chip easily. With the vegatal silica the nails are long and somewhat flexible, not brittle and they never chip any more....which is how I suspect bones should be too...that would make for an interesting study, to see if different silica supplements make bones more brittle or more flexible. From this point of view I could only guess, and I am going by how my nails respond to the different products.

Last edited:

Marilyn

Thanks for this informative article, Arrowwind09! The last scan I had on my ankle showed that I had the bones of a healthy 78 year old woman. I think I was in my 50's at the time. Now mid 60's and I'm pretty sure they have not gotten better. My question is this--I've been figuring out how much of the silica product I would need to follow the program for just the first nine weeks---756 pills. That is app. 6+ bottles of the 120 size. Do most people tolerate this product? What are the side effects for this high a dosage? I hate to order 1 bottle at a time and and pay postage again and again for more product and yet would hate to spend all that money only to feel nauseated or something and to decide I can't use it! Thanks again for putting all this together, I printed it out for easy reference.

Marilyn

Arrowwind09, I thought of another question---I take 2 Source Naturals enzymes before each meal. Would this help enough with digestion so I wouldn't have to try the Betaine HCL? I am sometimes bothered with heartburn but not when I am using the digestive enzymes. I should also add that anyone looking for better prices on supplements try www.swansonvitamins.com I am in no way associated with them but they almost always beat the competition on their prices!

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
Original Poster
I have never heard of an intolerance problem with horsetail. Are you going to get another bone study before starting? I don't see why to do it unless osteoporosis is an issue and there is no way to know with out a repeat test for you. The horsetail is good for many connective tissue issues as it will strengthen it. But you don't need to take it at this dosage. Two a day is what I do.

Yes! Most heart burn is caused by insufficient HCL. The enzymes obviously are helping you but I would throw the Betaine HCL in also. You can be better assured of proper protein digestion. Its cheap.

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
Original Poster
Please note I made an error stating that 16 grams were required a day. It is 6 grams a day which equals about 16 capsules..
I corrected it in the post, for those who printed it out be aware.

Marilyn

I am just making a list of what I would need to order to follow the directions for the osteoporisis help. This seems a little daunting--"D3 50,0000 iu 2 x day for one week, then I would take it 1 x day for a week". I have the Carlson's brand of vit. D3 in the 2000 IU per capsule. This would mean for 100,000 IU a day I'd need to take 50 capsules (divided). I realize the importance of having your levels tested but has anyone followed this dosage for vit. D?

RCannon

I read that acidity of blood causes oeteoporosis. You can neutralize the blood by taking some baking soda in water. It was shown in a study that this stopped the leaching of calcium (and other minerals) from the bones.

I also wonder if excess water intake can cause it, since this flushes out minerals I would think.

Marilyn

I have been reading some of Mercola's postings and he advocates getting vit D levels checked. I believe he used to recommenc Quest lab. I need to find out the procedure for getting this done....wish it were as simple as going to the local clinic.
RCannon, about the baking soda.....I've read that also but since a person needs good acidity in the stomach for digestion, wouldn't that neutralize that and make the digestion weaker? Dr. Susan Lark sure likes baking soda use for several symptoms!

Marilyn

Thanks for the links for the vitamin testing. The first link involves answering health questions and testing twice a year--it sounds like they are going to do a study so it goes on for 5 years. The second link sounds easier to do.

Arrowwind, I'm also wondering why you do not recommend Carlson's brand. I have their fish ol, cod liver oil and the vitamin D. Was the reason you did not rec. their vit D due to the fact it doesn't come in the mega doses....?