happy/not happy

ozzie

I went to drs for results of blood test, everything is good except for cholesterol, it is 3.6mmol/L, and because of diet controlled diabetes he wants me down to 2.5mmol/L and suggests I go on Crestor 5mg, so I'm not very happy about that, so I'm going to see if I can get a natural supplement that brings down cholesterol, its my fault as i have been eating crisps quite a bit lately, so I'm changing my diet drasticly from today.
I asked him if I could treat it naturally, seeing he was an holistic doc I thought he would be in agreement about that but he said it wouldn't work, and i have to go on crestor, we shall see.
I have 10 pages of blood results so he did the lot.
I wouldn't go back except he is doing a care plan for my diabetes,which includes free physio, 4 treatments, podiatry, free eye tests, and dental, so when that is finished I think I will go to a natropath instead.
Diabetics are entitled to free treatments every two years here.
I am grateful for that.
Any suggestions on lowering cholesterol naturally and quickly would be welcome.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I would try to avoid going on Crestor if it were me. Lecithin is a supplement that is touted to be "cholesterol's worst enemy". Here's a couple of past threads that you may want to read. Also, Omega 3s, Garlic and Fennel are known to lower cholesterol. Always check for side effects and drug interactions before taking any new herbs/supplements. Here's a few of our links with a bit of information.

https://www.natmedtalk.com/showthread.php?t=22970&highlight=crestor
https://www.natmedtalk.com/showthread.php?t=20872&highlight=cholesterol

https://www.natmedtalk.com/wiki/Omega_3
https://www.natmedtalk.com/wiki/Garlic
https://www.natmedtalk.com/wiki/Fennel

PS: Side Effects of Crestor...http://www.sideeffectsofcrestor.net/

Mad Scientest

Here is a slightly different take on cholesterol form the Dr. Douglass newsletter. It would seem that there are two schools of thought on cholesterol but for the most part we only hear about the one that says high is bad and low is good. Then there is this.

[FONT=&quot]Why you need LDL cholesterol[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

For years, you've been told your body has an enemy -- and its name is LDL cholesterol.

They've even taken to calling it "bad" cholesterol, as if something your body NEEDS could ever actually be bad.

Now, a new study confirms what I've told you all along: LDL cholesterol isn't the bad guy after all.

Researchers from [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Texas[/FONT][FONT=&quot]A&M[/FONT][FONT=&quot]University[/FONT][FONT=&quot] put 52 non-exercising people between the ages of 60 and 69 through a rigorous workout, and found that those who gained the most muscle mass afterwards had the highest levels of LDL cholesterol.

Nevermind that you don't need a rigorous workout to stay fit (or any workout at all, for that matter)... the study is a perfect illustration of the relationship between LDL cholesterol and muscle function.

The researchers didn't make the obvious connection, so I will: This is precisely why people who take cholesterol-lowering drugs like statins suffer from muscle pain and even muscle disintegration as their LDL levels plummet to supposedly healthy levels.

The researchers also wrote in the Journal of Gerontology that LDL serves another crucial function: as a warning of problems elsewhere in the body.

And once again, this is a page right out of my Douglass Report newsletter -- because I've been telling you for years that high cholesterol levels are a symptom... not a disease on their own.

But while your doc will hit the panic button when LDL hits 160, all I care about is your total cholesterol: Keep it between 200 and 300, and you're golden.

Higher than that, and you've got a problem -- but a cholesterol med won't solve it anymore than an ice bath will cure the infection behind a high fever.

You need a doc who can figure out -- and correct -- the cause of that rise.

Turning bad into good,

William Campbell Douglass II, M.D.[/FONT]

ozzie

Original Poster
kind2creatures,and Mad Scientest thank you for your helpful information, I have decided I'm not going to go back on statins, Dr can like it or lump it, I'll just opt out of the care plan if I have to.
I have this feeling he is going to say you haven't had the flu or pneumococcal vacc yet, as they are advertising flu vacc's at the moment, I haven't had a cold or flu for at least 5 years and was in contact with my daughter and family when they had swine flu, and I didn't get it, so I won't be having the vaccs either.

Mad Scientest

Good decision on the flu shot.
I’ve read somewhere that those who got the flu shots were also more likely to get the flu then those that didn’t. Oh but then again that is one of those things that you are not supposed to know about. :rolleyes:

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
kind2creatures,and Mad Scientest thank you for your helpful information, I have decided I'm not going to go back on statins, Dr can like it or lump it, I'll just opt out of the care plan if I have to.
I have this feeling he is going to say you haven't had the flu or pneumococcal vacc yet, as they are advertising flu vacc's at the moment, I haven't had a cold or flu for at least 5 years and was in contact with my daughter and family when they had swine flu, and I didn't get it, so I won't be having the vaccs either.
You're welcome ozzie. It's a shame that you can't make a decision about getting vaccines without having to opt of of your health care plan. :evil: I'm with Mad Scientest, I have refused the flu shot for years now, and haven't had the flu, or a cold for that matter. It's offensive to me the way they try to push the shots here in America, you can't go into a supermarket or even a Walmart without being surrounded by signs saying to get your shot there, or hearing it over the intercom. If I was going to have that poison injected into my system, I'd at least want it done by a doctor, not someone that works in a store. :roll: And kudos for not going back on the statins. :applause:

jbo

I don't have an issue cholesterol, but my brother is law does. He at least told me he tried everything naturally and nothing seemed to help him except flax seeds. Just adding this, because if anything can help even a little bit it's worth it.

Mad Scientest

I don't have an issue cholesterol, but my brother in law does. .
How high is his high? Is it really too high? See above article. Or has he just been told that it is too high so as to get him to take statins?

Is he aware that his body naturally makes and controls the correct cholesterol levels? Thus if he eats foods low in cholesterol his body will make more to compensate for the lost. Conversely if he eats foods high in cholesterol his body will make less.

Unless his system is totally out of wack his body knows what his correct level needs to be and will work to maintain it rather then some doctor who arbitrary puts a number on it.

ozzie

Original Poster
Here in America, you can't go into a supermarket or even a Walmart without being surrounded by signs saying to get your shot there, or hearing it over the intercom. If I was going to have that poison injected into my system, I'd at least want it done by a doctor, not someone that works in a store. :roll: And kudos for not going back on the statins. :applause:
That is so wrong, it is advertised on the telly and radio here though.
I went to the healthfood shop yesterday and got some lecithin, oatbran,and flax seed meal, to put in my banana smoothie that I have for breakfast now.
the lady in the shop said the lecithin will put your cholesterol up for a while then bring it down, and she said to take probiotics once a month and a week before you go back for next cholesterol test, and you should get a good reading.
I have only been on my fat free, sugar free (apart from the sugar in fruit ) drink lots of green tea diet for the last week and already I am starting to feel more energetic.
I still cant get over the fact that a so called holistic Dr would suggest statins before letting me try to get it down naturally.
Oh well I guess he has done me a favour by making me more determined to get it down by natural means:)

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I have only been on my fat free, sugar free (apart from the sugar in fruit ) drink lots of green tea diet for the last week and already I am starting to feel more energetic.

I still cant get over the fact that a so called holistic Dr would suggest statins before letting me try to get it down naturally.
Oh well I guess he has done me a favour by making me more determined to get it down by natural means:)
I'm happy you're taking such good care of yourself ozzie...and yes, every grey cloud has a silver lining. ;)

jbo

How high is his high? Is it really too high? See above article. Or has he just been told that it is too high so as to get him to take statins?

Is he aware that his body naturally makes and controls the correct cholesterol levels? Thus if he eats foods low in cholesterol his body will make more to compensate for the lost. Conversely if he eats foods high in cholesterol his body will make less.

Unless his system is totally out of wack his body knows what his correct level needs to be and will work to maintain it rather then some doctor who arbitrary puts a number on it.
never mentioned anything about statins at all. He doesn't take any statins and I don't know what his reading are each time he goes. I was only mentioning that he told me that flax seeds were the only thing that actually worked for him to lower his cholesterol.

Mad Scientest

It would be interesting to know what is numbers are as there is a good chance he is :beatdeadhorse: to try and get a lower number.

A brief history here. Originally any reading below 300 was considered to be healthy. Then along came statin drugs, but to be able to sell these we need sick people, so the standard was lowered to 250. This magically turned a bunch of healthy people into sick people but that was not a problem because we now have a pill for them. But there still was a problem because the drug companies were still not selling enough pills, so the standard was again lowered this time to 200. And now there is talk that they would like to get it down to around 170.

This was done by having 12 or 13(?) supposed eminent doctors sign off on these new lower numbers as the way to improve ones health. The fact that all these “eminent” doctors were either working for the drug companies making the pills or receiving research grants from them obviously had no effect on their judgment. :rofl:

By the way studies have shown that people with very low readings are typically unhealthy and conversely people in their 80's and 90's frequently have high readings and can be quite healthy.

pinballdoctor

Studies show people with low cholesterol have more heart attacks than people with high cholesterol.

Most animals have high cholesterol and don't have heart attacks.

Why? Because they make their own vitanin C.

What does all this mean? It means don't mess with your cholesterol, it is what it is for a reason. Crestor, or any statin drug, will do more harm than good. Statins rob the body of Co Q10, cause liver damage, joint damage, and who knows what else..

Unless your cholesterol is off the charts high, I wouldn't worry about it.

Cholesterol is not the enemy.

jfh

perpetual student
It is best to cure the cause, and the symptoms will follow. Cholesterol is formed by the liver. It get deposited wherever there is inflammation. That includes the lining of the veins and arteries. Fix the inflammation. If you just want to lower cholesterol, use lecithin granules, but like pinballdoctor says, the cholesterol is there for a reason.

mommysunshine

Hi Ozzie, you've received a lot of good advice. When glucose levels get too high or there's too much insulin in the system it can cause what jfh was saying, inflammation. Those crisps could be the culprit. Cinnamon is wonderful to help regulate sugar imbalances. A well balanced diet with protein at each meal is helpful. Here's an article on the effects of cinnamon in lowering cholesterol and sugar levels. They are connected.

http://www.life-enhancement.com/article_template.asp?id=914

ozzie

Original Poster
Thanks mommysunshine for yours, and to everyone else who offered helpful info.

Oh and by the way, the xray showed I had mild bone degeneration in the hip.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Oh and by the way, the xray showed I had mild bone degeneration in the hip.
They told me that I had Osteopenia several years back. I've never increased calcium supplements, rather I discontinued them. Instead, I started taking vitamin k2 to keep the calcium from foods out of the arteries and in the bones, and vitamin D3. Also began to do more weight-bearing exercise. I haven't gone back for another x-ray, as I don't like to get them or visit the doctor unless absolutely necessary.

mommysunshine

Totally off topic (Sorry) Ozzie, I can buy organic ground beef from Australia for 7.99 a pound. What does it cost there?

Exercise is one of the very best things to help bones remineralize. Get a trampoline if you don't have one! You'll reap a lot of health benefits including denser bones.

ozzie

Original Poster
They told me that I had Osteopenia several supplements, rather I discontinued them. Instead, I started taking vitamin k2 to keep the calcium from foods out of the arteries and in the bones, and vitamin D3. Also began to do more weight-bearing exercise. I haven't gone back for another x-ray, as I don't like to get them or visit the doctor unless absolutely necessary.
Thats interesting, about the vitamin K2 and D3 kind2creatures thank you, I do take Naturesway fish oil which has D3 and Iodine in it but will have a look into the K2 I have osteoporosis, I don't take any calcium supplements other than what I get in my diet, I have started walking again now, when I feel able to.
I hate going for xrays as well, and even going to the dr, if it hadn't been for having to get a hearing test form signed by a dr so I could get a voucher from the government, i wouldn't have gone.
I will have to try the weight bearing exercises, How do you actually do them?

Totally off topic (Sorry) Ozzie, I can buy organic ground beef from Australia for 7.99 a pound. What does it cost there?

Exercise is one of the very best things to help bones remineralize. Get a trampoline if you don't have one! You'll reap a lot of health benefits
including denser bones.
mommysunshine I just had a look in the Coles supermarket catolouge at the ground beef, it is $6 a kilo(which is 2 pound 2ounces) which is on special, normally $7.99, but that is not organic,I will have a look in the shop next time I do my shop.
I might try and get a small trampoline.thanks for help.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Thats interesting, about the vitamin K2 and D3 kind2creatures thank you, I do take Naturesway fish oil which has D3 and Iodine in it but will have a look into the K2 I have osteoporosis, I don't take any calcium supplements other than what I get in my diet, I have started walking again now, when I feel able to.

I will have to try the weight bearing exercises, How do you actually do them?
I think the most modest amount of D3 that should be taken daily is 1,000 IUs. I've never had my blood levels checked, but I take Country Life D3 2500 IUs daily, others here on the forum recommend higher amounts, but I'm comfortable with that.

I've been using hand-held weights (5-10 lbs.), or the weight machines at the gym. Some weight bearing exercises you can do by using your own body weight are walking, squats (sitting back while standing, bending at the knee), climbing stairs, wall push ups (putting hands on wall with feet a comfortable distance away and pressing your own body toward and away from wall), floor push ups. If you sit on the bottom step of a staircase, put the palms of your hands on the step, then lower and raise your bottom to the floor below the step, this will work your arm triceps.

Anything comfortable to hold, like cans of food, can be used as weights. Even in a sitting position on a chair, you can hold the can and curl your arm towards your body for arm biceps. Hold your "weight" with both of your hands raised above your head, then slowly bend your arm back until your hands are behind your head, you'll feel this in the back of your arms also (triceps). Those large rubberband things can be used too, anything that gives resistance to the exercise. Just standing on your toes, holding, and slowly lowering will work the muscles in your legs (calves). All types of weight bearing exercises help strenghten bones.

ozzie

Original Poster
kind2creatures , thank you once again for your helpful info.
I do have some hand weights that I got ages ago but stopped using them when I had frozen shouler, now that that is better I will start using again, and will put some of the other Ideas to use
Just looking at my Vit d reading, it says. 25-hydroxy
vitamin D
90 nmol/l within normal limits,
Iron, 18 umol/L (10-27) iron studies within normal limits
Transferrin 2.85 g/L (150-300)
Saturation 25 % (15-45)
Ferritin 44-ug/L (10-250)