flashes of light

daisy1234

hi i was in hospital last week and was sleeping when i was woken up by a quick pain in my eye ...when i sat up i had alot of flashes of light only in one eye it lasted for about 25 seconds and went ...i asked the doctor and they were not sure what it was could be blood pressure ...i havent had it since ..i was just wondering if anyone else has had a simular thing happen

Aardvark

Sounds like a "vitreal detachment," a temporary condition that normally resolves itself when gravity causes the detached area to drift downwards and out of your visible range. It's scary when it first appears, but it's not serious unless it persists for more than a week. If you had coughed, thereby increasing your intra-ocular pressure, you would have seen a real light show.
Fortunately, your episode was brief.

As for what causes vitreal detachments, my Ophthamologist admitted that nobody really knows -- they just happen sometimes. Bilberry and Lutein seem to enhance overall eye health, and I've had no recurrences since I started taking those particular supplements from time to time.

Marcus

My husband had this a few weeks ago. Scared me more than him. It went away in less than a day.