Fight Cancer With Plants

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Plants Against Cancer

Produce packs a powerful punch in
the fight against this tenacious disease.

May 2013
By Beverly Burmeier

If cancer is the villain, then the hero may be as close as your neighborhood food market.

More than one million Americans will be diagnosed with cancer this year, and as many as 90% of cases may be preventable, according to the National Institutes of Health. In fact, being overweight or obese is thought to contribute to one out of five cancer-related deaths.
Because many cancers are related to lifestyle factors including diet, what you put in your shopping cart may be crucial for cutting cancer off at the pass.

“Diet is one factor we can control, so why not use it to our advantage?” says Leslie Bonci, RD, MPH, director of sports nutrition at the University of Pittsburg Medical Center. “We know enough about phytonutrients to say that eating a plant-based diet promotes overall good health and can reduce your risk for cancer.” Consuming phytonutrient-rich foods on a regular basis is believed to block carcinogens and suppress malignant cell growth.

Read more here: https://energytimes.com/pages/features/0513/plants.html

jfh

perpetual student
The article says, "Broccoli has been shown to suppress Helicobacter pylori, a common bacterial infection that’s a major cause of stomach cancer."

I did not know that. I should have known, because broccoli and its cousins are major cancer fighters. I just did not think that it remained in the stomach long enough to have such an effect.

Just remember that if you have thyroid weakness, be sure to cook or steam the broccoli and other cruciferous veggies to deactivate most of the goitrogens.

jfh

perpetual student
The article also says, "Bring on the berries. These tasty fruits contain ellagic acid, which the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center says can help protect against breast, skin, bladder, esophaegeal and lung cancers."

I did not know that either. Ellagic acid is powerful enough to inhibit enzymes which viruses use to enter our cells and replicate. Well, it also strips the outer layer of fungi, which they need to survive. So it will kill Candida and other fungi. I've posted about this before. Here is an excellent article regarding ellagic acid. https://www.taoofherbs.com/articles/116/EllagicAcidCancer.htm

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus
We need to dispel the 'Heathy Whole Grain' myth

“Include hearty whole grains such as oats, bran, wheat, or bulgar in meals,” says Lee. Adequate fiber intake reduces the risk of colon cancer, and studies have shown that stomach and breast cancers are less common on high-fiber diets as well.
And as for the nutritional value of grains? First off, they aren’t the complete nutritional sources they’re made out to be. Quite the contrary, grains have been associated with minerals deficiencies, perhaps because of high phytate levels. A diet high in grains may also reduce the body’s ability to process vitamin D.

Yes, fiber is very healthy. plant fiber is FAR MORE healthy than grain fiber because it comes with the other nutrients that are anti-cancer. Not to mention grain is high gycemic.

Among my many beefs with grain, the first and foremost is the havoc it plays with insulin and other hormonal responses in the body. For the full picture, visit the previous Definitive Guide to Insulin from some months ago. Guess what? The same principles still hold. We developed the insulin response to help store excess nutrients and to take surplus (and potentially toxic) glucose out of the bloodstream. This was an adaptive trait. But it didn’t evolve to handle the massive amounts of carbs we throw at it now. And, yes, we’re talking mostly about grains. Unless you have a compulsive penchant for turnips, the average American’s majority of carb intake comes from grains.

“You should eat a healthy diet consisting of whole foods and whole-grains rather than processed products,” adds Lee.
Grains. Every day we’re bombarded with them and their myriad of associations in American (and much of Western) culture: Wilford Brimley, Uncle Ben, the Sunbeam girl, the latest Wheaties athlete, a pastrami on rye, spaghetti dinners, buns for barbeque, corn on the cob, donuts, birthday cake, apple pie, amber waves of grain…. Gee, am I missing anything? Of course. So much, in fact, that it could – and usually does – take up the majority of supermarket square footage. (Not to mention those government farm subsidies, but that’s another post.) Yes, grains are solidly etched into our modern Western psyche – just not so much into our physiology.

Read more: https://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-grains/#ixzz2S9MAZ1zs

Grains were certainly not any substantial part of the human diet prior to the Agricultural Revolution. And even after grains became a large part of human existence, those who were deathly allergic to them or had zero capacity to take in their modest nutrient value were, in all likelihood, selected against. And pretty quickly at that. Those whose health was so compromised by grains that they were rendered infertile early in life were also washed out of the gene pool. That’s how it works. But if you can limp along long enough to procreate (which was considerably earlier then than it typically is now), that new fangled diet of grains got you through. No matter how stunted your growth was, how awful your teeth were, how prone you were to infection.

jesichashope

Solstice,
Very good points. Anyone fighting disease should stay away from grains, they are so manipulated by manufacturers that whatever was natural is no longer. If one wants to eat breads, there is whole wheat berries that are the berries not the grain; and our bodies see the berries as fruit. You can get breads or flour and cook with it. Due to my traumatic brain injury - any wheat type flours react to my brain, I have lived over 6 years using wheat berries, tapioca flour etc and never looked back. I recommend it to anyone fighting disease like cancer, and to proactively live.

Berries and dark green vegetables are essential in proactive living. When we eat defensively we lower our risks. Cancer sufferers need to take a dramatic approach to how they eat; most doctors tell patients a diet change is not needed, yet they are speaking from an uneducated point of view, as most never study nutrition in depth. Support the body with foods with the highest values. The darker the green vegetable the more potent; berries like blueberries are very potent in supporting the body to fight this disease.
Again, very good points.