Consider Health a Resource, Not a Goal

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I read a few lines in a free health magazine that I thought was worth pondering. It said that too much focus on your health can backfire. When you make health the goal rather than viewing it as a resource, it can be easy to get stressed out, rigid and narrowminded.

Health is what helps you live the life you want...it's a resource not a destination. (from delicious living)

I took it to mean that always setting goals, like some do with weight-loss, causes stress and when they're not met, cause depression, disappointment and low self-esteem. Also the way we reach them, causes tension in our everyday lives, even if subconscious.

If we think of our health, whether we're fit or out of shape, healthy or self-abusive with our lifestyles, as something 'in the moment', we may fare better. Like saying to yourself, this is today, this is me, I'll care for my body and mind and benefit from the fact that my health is an asset to me. Leave the fixed goals, especially those with time limits, out of it.

mommysunshine

Health is what helps you live the life you want...it's a resource not a destination. (from delicious living).
This is so true.

I agree with JFH that we need goals BUT the journey matters more than achieving any goal because what if for some reason that goal never manifests and all that time has been spent waiting to "enjoy" life once that health goal has been achieved?

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
This is so true.

I agree with JFH that we need goals BUT the journey matters more than achieving any goal because what if for some reason that goal never manifests and all that time has been spent waiting to "enjoy" life once that health goal has been achieved?
Having been a part of a getting fit over fifty group, I have heard many accounts of those who set goals repeatedly, and usually fail. Typical of New Year's Resolutions, but expand to 'by my birthday' type goals, etc.

They don't enjoy life, partially because they're always concentrating on the discipline part at first, and then beating themselves up for not meeting their expectations. Sometimes, they reach their 'goal', and feel that they should reward themselves with the things they've given up...back to square one. When looking at the big picture, it can be considered a waste of our precious time on this earth.

For folks who feel that goals haven't been working, this is a possible option. Just treat yourself right, and before you know it, your 'goals' have been reached.