Coconut Oil and Tooth Decay

jfh

perpetual student
I've always considered coconut oil as top of my list for most natural anti-microbe. Monolaurin (lauric acid) kill viruses by disintegrating their membrane or lipid envelope. They won't be able to replicate. Caprylic acid is number one in killing the candida fungi. It does this on contact in the intestines, so it is not much help for systemic candida. 1 or more tablespoons daily.

There are several other healthy acids in coconut oil. Linoleic acid, oleic acid, lauric acid, capric acid, caprylic acid, myristic acid.

It is well worth adding coconut oil to you diet.

I make a toothpaste from coconut oil and baking soda.

Auntie Eisel

I normally use at least a tablespoon of coconut oil daily. I don't know about tooth decay but I use it because it's not hard on my stomach like vegetable and canola oil is and there IS the lauric acid also. I've heard mention that there is more saturated fat in it but the fact that it's better for you makes that argument moot as far as I'm concerned. :)

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
There are so many things that can prevent tooth decay out there these days. The leading is MMS. Xylitol is a good daily preventative. Grapefruit seed extract can do wonders. Baking soda is helpful. DMSO will help to carry any of these into the gums and teeth.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
When taking coconut oil as a supplement do you just eat a few spoonfuls? How's the texture/taste?
I put a spoonful in my morning coffee sometimes, in herbal tea, hot water with lemon and honey...or just plain. It's an oily texture, so it's not that great plain, but I love the smell of coconut, so it's not that bad for me. I also oil-pull with it sometimes in the mornings.

greif

I got some coconut oil, not crazy about taste /texture and not good in coffee so will have to figure a new way to take it

Made some coconut oil based toothpaste.... wow teeth feel cleaner and our son loves taste/texture

jfh

perpetual student
It can take high heat better than other oils, so I use it for cooking. I also pour/dribble a couple of teaspoons on toast. Also good in smoothies. Melts above 70 degrees. Does not need to be refrigerated. Will last on the shelf for about 2 years. Since it is antimicrobial, it just does not go rancid as bad as other oils. Try it for underarm deodorant. It absorbs into skin nicely. Also for face moisturizer. It is a minor sunscreen. Use on potatoes. Use everywhere instead of butter. For toothpaste, just add baking soda.

jaminhealth

Thanks in many parts to CO toothpaste, I have not visited a dentist in about 10 yrs....Yep,,,but did my share for a huge part of my life. I use primarily NOW FOODS CO toothpaste and it's terrific and often will add drops of clove oil or other dental oils to my TP.

Also, my antioxidants are my best friends, Vit C and Grape Seed Extract. I have good healthy tight pink gums.

And I've hugely gotten rid of refined sugar products in my life. It pays off for me and a big loss to the dental world.

Eat some small amounts of fruit for some sweet treats....