Coconut Oil - A Superfood

DavyKOTWF

Okay, lately I've started taking again and upped my coconut oil. I've read the best is virgin, cold pressed, unrefined, organic, raw and in a glass jar COCONUT OIL. Am taking 1 Tbsp in my half cup coffee in the a.m. and somehow take a 2nd Tbsp in the evening, sometimes just eating it raw, put into nothing but my mouth.
(I read that virgin or extra virgin is the same thing, just a marketing tool to put the word 'extra' in there.)
Just a multitude of benefits from coconut oil and the best dose is 2 tbsp per day.

Anyone else take coconut oil? :wave:

jfh

perpetual student
Many, many posts on this forum about coconut oil. Many of us have been using coconut oil for years. I sometimes use it for oral oil swishing, an Aryuvedic practice.

One thing which is most important for me, is it's use to kill 93% colon cancer cells in 2 days. https://www.collective-evolution.com/2016/01/08/scientists-discover-coconut-oil-exterminates-93-percent-of-colon-cancer-cells-in-two-days/

Recently, kind2creatures posted a video of its use https://www.natmedtalk.com/showpost.php?p=224944&postcount=1

I also use it as an underarm deodorant occasionally. And I make my own toothpaste by mixing coconut oil with baking soda to make a paste.

NurseMary

So you don't worry about many empty calories you are adding?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DavyKOTWF

Original Poster
Well now. Glad you questioned this 'empty calorie' thing. I just read a dozen webpages saying CO will raise your LDL and other not so flattering things. They said it's worse than the sat'd fats in beef and butter. Who to believe?
Well, nix on the CO for now. I have a lipid blood test in 4 weeks and want it to be pristine in the HDL, LDL and Trigs departments. So up with the Omega 3's, niacin, garlic and green tea then.

NurseMary

Well now. Glad you questioned this 'empty calorie' thing. I just read a dozen webpages saying CO will raise your LDL and other not so flattering things. They said it's worse than the sat'd fats in beef and butter. Who to believe?
Well, nix on the CO for now. I have a lipid blood test in 4 weeks and want it to be pristine in the HDL, LDL and Trigs departments. So up with the Omega 3's, niacin, garlic and green tea then.
I thought the coconut oi is good for HDL's..

What o was referring to is the calorie intake it adds to a meal... wouldn't it add 200 + calories to your daily intake?

DavyKOTWF

Original Poster
Yes, I knew what your were saying.
RE: CO raises HDL - yes, I read that too, but then it seems to raise LDL. Another article said that Olive was better than CO in that it
will lower LDL and increase HDL.
It's confusing. Nevertheless, I'm going to completely lay off CO and see how my lipid panel goes. Will report back on James Dean's birthday.

edit: Okay, just listened to what seemed to be a good video. He said that seeing gym shoes or running shoes is a good indicator of someone being in good shape. But adding 5 more pairs of running shoes, won't increase how good of shape one is in. Same thing with HDL, the good choles. Higher numbers of HDL is a good indicator of better heart health, etc., but upping the HDL won't cause your heart to get any better. But raising the LDL, the bad choles., WILL and DOES cause more harm than good. So adding a lot of CO, probably does more harm than good; ingesting it that is. Olive oil does both; lowers LDL and raises HDL, so it's a better choice. So it's better to concentrate on lowering the LDL instead of trying to raise the HDL. That's what the vid said anyway.

Also, it seems flaxseed and chia seeds do better to contribute good fats and Omega 3's than CO anyway; with way lower calories. Pffft, I should have named this thread Flaxseeds and Chia seeds - the Super Foods.

NurseMary

Yes, I knew what your were saying.
RE: CO raises HDL - yes, I read that too, but then it seems to raise LDL. Another article said that Olive was better than CO in that it
will lower LDL and increase HDL.
It's confusing. Nevertheless, I'm going to completely lay off CO and see how my lipid panel goes. Will report back on James Dean's birthday.

edit: Okay, just listened to what seemed to be a good video. He said that seeing gym shoes or running shoes is a good indicator of someone being in good shape. But adding 5 more pairs of running shoes, won't increase how good of shape one is in. Same thing with HDL, the good choles. Higher numbers of HDL is a good indicator of better heart health, etc., but upping the HDL won't cause your heart to get any better. But raising the LDL, the bad choles., WILL and DOES cause more harm than good. So adding a lot of CO, probably does more harm than good; ingesting it that is. Olive oil does both; lowers LDL and raises HDL, so it's a better choice. So it's better to concentrate on lowering the LDL instead of trying to raise the HDL. That's what the vid said anyway.

Also, it seems flaxseed and chia seeds do better to contribute good fats and Omega 3's than CO anyway; with way lower calories. Pffft, I should have named this thread Flaxseeds and Chia seeds - the Super Foods.
So the interesting thing about CO is that the stuff never spoils.
Where flax and olive oil will go rancid sitting out at room temp. Rancid oils are really bad for us...
Even flax should be refrigerated once you grind it.

Coconut oil is supposed to be really good for the brain.

I was curious if others worry about the calories it adds to the diet.

The one thing I like to do with it is put a tablespoon in the blender with coffee and a scoop of protein for a power coffee. (Keep the carb count below 2g) and it makes a great power snack/small meal.

If you want to go back to eating a carb meal next wait 3 hrs before changing meal types...

It's a cool concept - have you ever heard of Trim Healthy Mamma? I learned a lot from those gals...

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
So you don't worry about many empty calories you are adding?
I'm not on any strict diet and never was a calorie counter, so it doesn't bother me. The coconut oil I use is only 130 calories per tablespoon, and I don't consider that 'empty' calories because coconut oil is beneficial for so many things. Empty calories to me would be in beer or a bagel.

NurseMary

I'm not on any strict diet and never was a calorie counter, so it doesn't bother me. The coconut oil I use is only 130 calories per tablespoon, and I don't consider that 'empty' calories because coconut oil is beneficial for so many things. Empty calories to me would be in beer or a bagel.
Kind2 I tend to agree but wondered what others thought...

sushant0018

Coconut Oil is Healthy.

Coconut oil has exploded in popularity in the last decade boasting positive health benefits over other oils, particularly by health conscious foodies. It seems like it’s used in everything from recipes to cleaning supplies and even skincare products. However, within the last year or so, individual practitioners and institutions like the American Heart Association have expressed concern with the healthfulness associated with consuming this particular oil, stating that it may not have as many positive benefits as it leads on. This has left most of us wondering if coconut oil is, in fact, our friend or our foe. There are always two sides to every good story and we’re here to lay out the arguments for and against coconut oil. Ultimately, you will be the judge!

Argument
Coconut oil is high in saturated fat. According to the American Heart Association elevated intakes of saturated fats raise LDL cholesterol levels (known as the “bad” cholesterol), which increase risk of heart disease.

Counter
Yes, coconut oil is high in saturated fat, but one must dig deeper and consider the ratio of lauric to non-lauric fatty acid when it comes to saturated fats because it influences its overall health credentials. Because coconut oil is much higher in the lauric variety than other vegetable oils, this may play a role in coconut oil’s ability to positively influence HDL cholesterol (known as the “good” cholesterol). In general, some fat in the diet is good. Fat supports the brain, absorb vitamins, and gives us healthy hair, skin, and nails.

Argument
Coconut oil may be less desirable for cooking because it’s solid at room temperature and has a distinct coconutty flavor.

Counter
While coconut oil may not be the best vehicle for recipes like salad dressings, because it’s solid at room temperature it makes a good replacement in baked good recipes that call for a solid source of fat like butter. The flavor of coconut oil can also really complement certain dishes, especially Thai curries. If you’re not partial the coconutty flavor but still want to utilize coconut oil, select a refined variety of the oil with a more neutral taste.

Argument
Coconut oil isn’t as high in other health-promoting compounds compared to other vegetable oils, which are high in unsaturated fat and may be rich in antioxidants shown to lower heart disease risk.

Counter
It’s easy to get distracted by coconut oil’s high saturated fat content and forget it’s higher in medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) compared to other vegetable oils, which have been shown to have positive health implications like increased metabolism when consumed over long-chain triglycerides. Not to mention there is some research that suggests coconut oil may act as an antimicrobial, reduce oxidative stress, and help regulate blood sugar levels.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Yes, coconut oil is high in saturated fat, but one must dig deeper and consider the ratio of lauric to non-lauric fatty acid when it comes to saturated fats because it influences its overall health credentials. Because coconut oil is much higher in the lauric variety than other vegetable oils, this may play a role in coconut oil’s ability to positively influence HDL cholesterol (known as the “good” cholesterol). In general, some fat in the diet is good. Fat supports the brain, absorb vitamins, and gives us healthy hair, skin, and nails.

Funny, I always use a spoon full of EVCO in my morning coffee, but in winter months here it's solid and hard to dissolve.

I recently bought a bottle of MCT oil, thinking it would go much better with the coffee since it's liquid.

Once it dawned on my that it contained NO lauric acid, I went back to the coconut oil. I use the EVCO to help prevent dementia or memory problems.

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Rosiecont

Coconut oil contains lauric acid, which is very similar to breast milk. Lauric acid is a healthy medium-chain fatty acid(MCFAs) that does not accumulate in blood vessels, but directly produces energy, promotes metabolism and enhances physical strength.

suredoctor

I would like to assure you that Hot coconut water can save you a lifetime

Hot coconut ~ only kill cancer cells!

Please, Cut 2 to 3 thin coconut flakes in a cup, add hot water, it will become "alkaline water", drink every day, it is good for anyone.

Hot Coconut water releases an anti-cancer substance, which is the latest advance in the effective treatment of cancer in the medical field.

Hot coconut juice has an effect on cysts and tumors. Proven to remedy all types of cancer.

This type of treatment with coconut extract only destroys malignant cells, it does not affect healthy cells.

In addition, the amino acid and coconut polyphenol in coconut juice can regulate high blood pressure, effectively prevent deep vein thrombosis, adjust blood circulation and reduce blood clots.

aadees12

Coconut oil boosts heart health because it has several healthy fatty acids. Adding it to your diet can help reduce hunger, seizures, and also good for your skin, teeth, and hair.