Child has 10 cavities!! He has an all natural, low sugar diet. What can we do?!!

bird of pray

The title says it all. My 4-year has 10 cavities. He eats an all-natural diet full of vegies and fruit. Desserts are rare in our house. When we do have them, they are gluten-free and usually made with agave nectar as the sweetner. The dentist said we need to use flouride toothpaste and taken fluoride tablets. I'm not really in favor of this. Are there any other means to keeping his teeth cavity-free that are natural? Any special foods or supplements that build strong teeth. I recently read an article on coconut oil improving dental health, as far as cavities are concerned. Not sure if this is true.

jfh

perpetual student

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I recently read an article on coconut oil improving dental health, as far as cavities are concerned. Not sure if this is true.
He may be too young to do this, but oil-pulling with coconut oil can benefit the teeth and gums. You swish a small amount through the teeth and around the mouth for up to 20 minutes, then spit and rinse with tepid water. Coconut oil is antibacterial, anti-fungal and antiviral...https://www.natmedtalk.com/wiki/Coconut

pinballdoctor

The dentist is an idiot, suggesting fluoride pills..

Animals don't brush their teeth, and yet they don't get cavities. They have bad breath, however, don't have tooth decay unless they are deficient in calcium:

Calcium
  • High protein diets increases demands for calcium
  • Deficiency:
  • Arthritis
  • Back pains (sciatica, disc problems)
  • Bell's Palsy
  • Bone spurs
  • Brittle fingernails
  • Calcium deposits
  • Cognitive impairment
  • Delusions
  • Depression
  • Eczema
  • High Blood Pressure
  • Hyperactivity
  • Hypertension
  • Insomnia
  • Irritability
  • Kidney stones
  • Limb numbness
  • Muscle cramps/spasms/twitches
  • Nervousness
  • Neuromuscular excitability
  • Osteomalacia (failure to mineralize the protein bone matrix)
  • Osteoporosis (& Dowagers Hump, spontanious fractures, kyphosis)
  • Panic attacks
  • Periodontal disease - receding gums (osteoporosis of facial bones & jaw bones)
  • PMS
  • Pica (eating lead paint)
  • Rickets
  • Retarded growth
  • Tetany
  • Tooth decay

BigAl

If those suggestions don't work here's something I know that does work. Have the kid rinse his mouth every day with three drops of activated mms1 in a tablespoon of water every day for a while. I have done this and my cavities just went and I have not had to brush my teeth in four and a half years. Cavities are caused by bacteria sticking to the surface of the teeth but mms1 can really do them in. Good luck

ChrisCarlton67

Thanks for the share on the article.

Interesting that vegetarian can mean you eat fish in other countries.

If was to completely cut out meat and/or dairy, I think I might still eat fish, knowing how healthy it is for me.

Back on topic: This is also a concern for me as I am seeing my child develop cavities and he is NOT prone to eating sugar. He eats a lot of apples, however. Wonder if that has something to do with it.

Ted_Hutchinson

The Dental Essentials has a useful set of evidence based information.

You can see the ingredients of their own recommended supplement and match those amounts with equivalent if the price is excessive.

Personally I think you need to ensure Vitamin D3 level gets up to around 125nmol/l 50ng/ml when measured in a 25(OH)D blood spot test and that may take as much as 1000 iu daily D3 for each 25lbs weight. So 500iu/daily would only be ideal for a baby weighing 12.5lbs

athletic dept

Check the boys PH level. I'll bet it is below 5. It should be at least 7.

When body pH drops below 6.4, enzymes are deactivated, digestion does not work properly; vitamins, minerals and food supplements cannot effectively assimilate. Acid decreases energy production in the cells, the ability to repair damaged cells, the ability to detoxify heavy metals and makes the body more susceptible to fatigue and illness. Your body pH affects everything.

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus
When body pH drops below 6.4, enzymes are deactivated, digestion does not work properly; vitamins, minerals and food supplements cannot effectively assimilate. Acid decreases energy production in the cells, the ability to repair damaged cells, the ability to detoxify heavy metals and makes the body more susceptible to fatigue and illness. Your body pH affects everything.
Where do you measure body pH?

athletic dept

You should be able to get ph test strips at a health food store or maybe even a drugstore.
It's a small piece of paper that you spit on and the paper turns color you then measure the color against the color code. Dark blue is a good result to get.

knightofalbion

Does the child drink a lot of fruit smoothies? They've become hugely popular in recent years. The ingredients sound impressive and they are, but it's a case of 'too much of a good thing'...Very high in fruit sugars which can cause tooth decay in excess.
Eating fruit as nature intended is fine, the bulk stops you eating too much. In a smoothie it's another matter...

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus
You should be able to get ph test strips at a health food store or maybe even a drugstore.
It's a small piece of paper that you spit on and the paper turns color you then measure the color against the color code. Dark blue is a good result to get.

Saliva should be what pH? It seems different strips use different colors.

athletic dept

This topic is several months old not but you should watch this video. It is a CBC marketplace program that visited 20 dentists and got 20 different diagnosis all costing thousands of dollars. The patient did not need any work done but the dentists all wanted to do expensive work. Dentists have mortgages to pay and sturent loans to repay and they need the money so they recommend work that is not needed.
Watch the video it is very enlightening....
https://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/2012/10/money-where-your-mouth-is.html