Chamomile for Anxiety, Depression and Insomnia

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Benefits of Chamomile for anxiety, depression and insomnia...

Chamomile Tames Anxiety

While traditional healers have long recommended chamomile for anxiety, researchers at the University of Pennsylvania were some of the first to examine this relationship scientifically. In a 2009 study, the authors compared scores from standardized tests designed to measure generalized anxiety disorder or GAD. Over a period of eight weeks, one group received a placebo while the other took pharmaceutical grade chamomile capsules. Subjects were then tested to measure changes in symptoms of anxiety during this time. Those who took chamomile enjoyed a reduction in anxiety symptoms and the changes were termed "clinically meaningful and statistically significant."

Chamomile is a Great Sleep Remedy

Most of us are familiar with chamomile as a soothing tea that promotes relaxation and feelings of drowsiness at bedtime; its effectiveness is possibly due to its mild sedative action. While researchers have not confirmed a link between chamomile and sleep in humans, there are animal studies which do support a relationship. For example, a Japanese study using sleep-disturbed rats found chamomile worked as well as a tranquilizer in helping them fall asleep. Chamomile also has anti-inflammatory properties and may promote sleep by helping to reduce swelling caused by inflammation associated with allergies.

Chamomile May Indirectly Impact Depression

In an article about depression and insomnia which appeared in the Journal of Affective Disorders, the authors concluded that if you are diagnosed with insomnia your risk of also being diagnosed with depression in the next one to three years is very high. Of course anxiety is also strongly associated with depression. As many as 85% of depressed individuals were found to be anxious according to a study reported at the consumer mental health site, Healthyplace.com. The frequency of anxiety and insomnia during depression suggests that chamomile may be helpful for alleviating some of its symptoms as well.

FULL STORY: https://www.naturalnews.com/034454_chamomile_anxiety_depression.html#ixzz1hJjw gdVU
More about Chamomile https://www.natmedtalk.com/wiki/Chamomile
More on Insomnia https://www.natmedtalk.com/wiki/Insomnia

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
I notice that if I take it, I hav eto make a cup of tea with 2 bags, but it definitely works.

Kendra0000

Awesome information about its effect on depression! I'm so glad I saw that because that actually gave me a lot of hope. I'm going to get back to my chamomile stash and try using it regularly and see if that will help with the depression (and anxiety, but especially the depression!)

Thanks for sharing that.

Oh, I like valerian for anxiety and to help when I'm going through a phase of insomnia. I use an herbal blend that also has lemon balm, passionflower, and melatonin when I can't sleep. Works like a charm for sleeplessness, anxiety, and for some, depression. I don't take it regularly, just during the random phases when I can't sleep at all, so I can't comment on its effects for depression. I'd love to find more options, though.