Buffered vitamin c vs. standard non-buffered

cyber-junkie

Inquisitor
Is the buffered form of vitamin c less effective than standard vitamin c? I like to add vitamin c crystals to a drink and the standard have a very acidic taste and the buffered is much better but does the buffered take away from anything?...except the bitterness?

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Is the buffered form of vitamin c less effective than standard vitamin c? I like to add vitamin c crystals to a drink and the standard have a very acidic taste and the buffered is much better but does the buffered take away from anything?...except the bitterness?
I don't think that Ester C (or buffered C) is as effective as regular Ascorbic Acid, I stopped taking it a long time ago. Here's a link that Arrowwind pointed me to awhile back. https://www.vitamincfoundation.org/esterc.htm

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Well I found this...check it out.
Seems to kinda contradict the other,...what do you think?

https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/ss01/bioavailability.html
They are contradictory, I'm not sure which one is better, but since I have no ill gastrointestinal effects from regular Vitamin C, and I only take additional C for colds, etc., I personally will stay with the Ascorbic Acid with Bioflavonoids, works well for me. Seems like all of the info available is old, wonder if anyone has any newer studies.

pinballdoctor

Buffered C is fine. (it will allow you to take more) The only difference is less bloating/gas than taking ascorbic acid. This is due to a reaction in the stomach between the two acids. (ascorbic and hydrochloric)

cyber-junkie

Inquisitor
Original Poster
Buffered C is fine. (it will allow you to take more) The only difference is less bloating/gas than taking ascorbic acid. This is due to a reaction in the stomach between the two acids. (ascorbic and hydrochloric)
Do you need or will it help to take the vitamin c with bioflavonoids?

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
From a chemistry point of view, ascorbic acid is a WEAK acid. The acid in your stomach is much stronger. It seems there should be no difference in what form you take (ester C not included)

cyber-junkie

Inquisitor
Original Poster
Do you need or will it help to take the vitamin c with bioflavonoids?
vitamin C's absorption is really only affected by iron (it helps to increase iron absorption).

And something that helps Vitamin C's antioxidant powers are the B vitamins and Vitamin E. Vitamin C alone (and same as any other Vitamin) is not as effective as compared to when taken with other vitamins and minerals. The "synergistic" approach as they call it.

Hope this helps.