Blueberry Superpower

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
More good things about blueberries...

The anti-oxidant power of blueberries has been shown to be particularly useful in stabilizing brain function and protecting the neural tissue from oxidative stress. Studies have shown improvements in memory and learning while reducing symptoms of depression.

The riper the berries the more anti-oxidant power they contain. To assess the ripeness of the berries look at the color. Riper berries are a darker blue. Blueberry season is mid-late summer, June - August. Most frozen berries are picked at maximal ripeness and frozen.

Blueberries also contain other major phytonutrients including pterostilbene, resveratrol, flavonols and tannins. All of these have been shown to inhibit the development of cancer cell growth.

Blueberries are necessary to purchase organic due to the high amount of petrochemical pesticides that are used on the non-organic varieties. In June of 2011, the Environmental Working Group labeled non-organic blueberries as a significant concern. Blueberries grown in the US were the 10th most pesticide laden out of 53 fruits and vegetables tested. They have made the list of "Dirty Dozen" with this finding.

The term "wild" is considered a marketing term that producers of low bush blueberries have used to help sell their blueberries. Wild blueberries may or may not be organic. One should always check labeling and certifications.

Learn more: https://www.naturalnews.com/035473_blueberry_superfood_brain_function.html#ixzz1rK1qqeXS

jbo

I've been eating a quarter of a cup every morning of frozen blueberries

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
I don't eat them every day, although it's a healthy thing to do. But I do buy fresh blueberries, a lot of them, whenever they're on sale. Easy, healthy snack.

jbo

I don't eat them every day, although it's a healthy thing to do. But I do buy fresh blueberries, a lot of them, whenever they're on sale. Easy, healthy snack.
I get the frozen ones and a quarter of a cup in a blender a day, except on weekends. I'm actually eating more black rice now, which I keep hearing is comparable to blueberries. I just really like the taste of blackrice to be honest. I made some tonight and mixed in a little bit of brown rice with it, here are the pics

"black rice has as about the same antioxidants than are found in a
spoonful of blueberries, but with less sugar, and more fiber and
vitamin E antioxidants."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1306356/Black-rice-new-cancer-fighting-superfood-claim-scientists.html

Attachments