Beware - Aspartame Renamed "AminoSweet"

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Beware - Aspartame Has Been
Renamed 'AminoSweet'
And is now being marketed as a 'natural' sweetener!By Ethan Huff
Citizen Journalist (...from rense.com)
2-13-10 In response to growing awareness about the dangers of artificial sweeteners, what does the manufacturer of one of the world's most notable artificial sweeteners do? Why, rename it and begin marketing it as natural, of course.

This is precisely the strategy of Ajinomoto, maker of aspartame, which hopes to pull the wool over the eyes of the public with its rebranded version of aspartame, called "AminoSweet". Over 25 years ago, aspartame was first introduced into the European food supply.

Today, it is an everyday component of most diet beverages, sugar-free desserts, and chewing gums in countries worldwide. But the tides have been turning as the general public is waking up to the truth about artificial sweeteners like aspartame and the harm they cause to health.

The latest aspartame marketing scheme is a desperate effort to indoctrinate the public into accepting the chemical sweetener as natural and safe, despite evidence to the contrary. Aspartame was an accidental discovery by James Schlatter, a chemist who had been trying to produce an anti-ulcer pharmaceutical drug for G.D. Searle & Company back in 1965. Upon mixing aspartic acid and phenylalanine, two naturally-occurring amino acids, he discovered that the new compound had a sweet taste. The company merely changed its FDA approval application from drug to food additive and, voila, aspartame was born.

G.D. Searle & Company first patented aspartame in 1970. An internal memo released in the same year urged company executives to work on getting the FDA into the "habit of saying yes" and of encouraging a "subconscious spirit of participation" in getting the chemical approved. G.D. Searle & Company submitted its first petition to the FDA in 1973 and fought for years to gain FDA approval, submitting its own safety studies that many believed were inadequate and deceptive. Despite numerous objections, including one from its own scientists, the company was able to convince the FDA to approve aspartame for commercial use in a few products in 1974, igniting a blaze of controversy.

In 1976, then FDA Commissioner Alexander Schmidt wrote a letter to Sen. Ted Kennedy expressing concern over the "questionable integrity of the basic safety data submitted for aspartame safety". FDA Chief Counsel Richard Merrill believed that a grand jury should investigate G.D. Searle & Company for lying about the safety of aspartame in its reports and for concealing evidence proving the chemical is unsafe for consumption.

Despite the myriad of evidence gained over the years showing that aspartame is a dangerous toxin, it has remained on the global market with the exception of a few countries that have banned it. In fact, it continued to gain approval for use in new types of food despite evidence showing that it causes neurological brain damage, cancerous tumors, and endocrine disruption, among other things.

The details of aspartame's history are lengthy, but the point remains that the carcinogen was illegitimately approved as a food additive through heavy-handed prodding by a powerful corporation with its own interests in mind. Practically all drugs and food additives are approved by the FDA not because science shows they are safe but because companies essentially lobby the FDA with monetary payoffs and complete the agency's multi-million dollar approval process.

Changing aspartame's name to something that is "appealing and memorable", in Ajinomoto's own words, may hoodwink some but hopefully most will reject this clever marketing tactic as nothing more than a desperate attempt to preserve the company's multi-billion dollar cash cow. Do not be deceived. Sources Ajinomoto brands aspartame 'AminoSweet' - https://www.foodbev.com/news/ajinomoto-brands-aspartame-aminosweet Aspartame History Highlights - Janet Starr Hull https://www.sweetpoison.com/articles/0908/aspartame_history.html FDA's approval of aspartame under scrutiny - The Globe and Mail (Canada) https://www.wnho.net/fdas_approval_of_aspartame_under_scrutiny.pdf An Overdue Ban On A Dangerous Sweetener - Huffington Post https://www.huffingtonpost.com/samuel-s-epstein/an-overdue-ban-on-a-dange_b_250249.html

EarlyBird

Amino Sweet!

That's playing dirty and should be illegal! Yeah, thanks for the heads up!
"Sweet Poison" is right! If something isn't sweetened w/Stevia, I don't buy it.

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
AMINOSWEET, how nice. For those of you that have had organic chemistry, please remember that aspartame is a dipeptide and when it breaks apart (like it does when cooking with it, or just sitting around) it also racemizes. The human body is not really equipped to handle d-amino acids, just the l-forms. This shit is poison!

u&iraok

From HSI 3/16/10 newsletter:

Ajinomoto--a leading producer of aspartame--recently introduced the new name. Why? Here's how the company explains it in a press release: "The time is right to remind the industry that aspartame tastes just like sugar, and that it's made from amino acids--the building blocks of protein that are abundant in our diet."

EarlyBird

I've already warned all my kids and grandkids too.
Unfortunately, restaurants still have aspertame products on their tables
and never have Stevia so I bring my own small packets of it.

bbmartin

Oy vey... do we have an emoticon with rolling eyes?? Thank you k2c! I will post this data on my site and blog to continue getting the word out.

Cheers,
BB

Tim

AMINOSWEET, how nice. For those of you that have had organic chemistry, please remember that aspartame is a dipeptide and when it breaks apart (like it does when cooking with it, or just sitting around) it also racemizes. The human body is not really equipped to handle d-amino acids, just the l-forms. This shit is poison!
The human body produces and uses d-amino acids. You have no idea what your talking about.

truehealthbalance

I just poated a blog entry on Aspertame a few days ago. I just pasted it below. Avoid it like the plague
Dave
TrueHealthBalance

Aspartame is marketed at Equal, NutraSweet, Benevia. And many other companies are coming out with similar products, now that the patent has expired. It is in well over 9000 products and growing. You have undoubtedly heard that Aspartame is a safe product. I am also sure you have heard quite a bit of bad press on the product. I am hoping that you take warning to this article and remove all products with aspartame in them from your diet.
Aspartame is made of 3 components, 50% phenylalanine, 40% aspartic acid and 10% methanol (wood alcohol). In the body, methanol breaks down into formaldehyde (embalming fluid) and formic acid. When the temperature of Aspartame exceeds 86 degrees F, methanol converts to formaldehyde and then to formic acid, which then causes metabolic acidosis. (Formic acid is found in the poison of fire ants). Just a bit of biology, remember your body’s temperature is 98.6.
Aspartame is one of the most acid forming products on the market. I say acid forming because in its natural state, it is slightly alkaline. Toxic buildup in the body is greatly increased when more than 7.8 mg per day of methanol is ingested. One liter of a drink containing Aspartame contains about 56 mg of methanol
If you suffer from the following issues, I would suggest removing all products from your diet that contain this poison.

• Fibromyalgia Syndrome and symptoms of Fibromyalgia
  • Multiple Sclerosis symptoms
  • Dizziness
  • Headaches
  • Menstrual problems
  • Spasms
  • Shooting pains
  • Numbness in your legs
  • Cramps
  • Vertigo
  • Tinnitus
  • Joint pain
  • Depression
  • Anxiety attacks
  • Slurred speech
  • Blurred vision
  • Memory loss
For more information view this video form Fox news on the dangers of Aspartame

mindmt

I just poated a blog entry on Aspertame a few days ago. I just pasted it below. Avoid it like the plague
Dave
TrueHealthBalance

Aspartame is marketed at Equal, NutraSweet, Benevia. And many other companies are coming out with similar products, now that the patent has expired. It is in well over 9000 products and growing. You have undoubtedly heard that Aspartame is a safe product. I am also sure you have heard quite a bit of bad press on the product. I am hoping that you take warning to this article and remove all products with aspartame in them from your diet.
Aspartame is made of 3 components, 50% phenylalanine, 40% aspartic acid and 10% methanol (wood alcohol). In the body, methanol breaks down into formaldehyde (embalming fluid) and formic acid. When the temperature of Aspartame exceeds 86 degrees F, methanol converts to formaldehyde and then to formic acid, which then causes metabolic acidosis. (Formic acid is found in the poison of fire ants). Just a bit of biology, remember your body’s temperature is 98.6.
Aspartame is one of the most acid forming products on the market. I say acid forming because in its natural state, it is slightly alkaline. Toxic buildup in the body is greatly increased when more than 7.8 mg per day of methanol is ingested. One liter of a drink containing Aspartame contains about 56 mg of methanol
If you suffer from the following issues, I would suggest removing all products from your diet that contain this poison.

• Fibromyalgia Syndrome and symptoms of Fibromyalgia
  • Multiple Sclerosis symptoms
  • Dizziness
  • Headaches
  • Menstrual problems
  • Spasms
  • Shooting pains
  • Numbness in your legs
  • Cramps
  • Vertigo
  • Tinnitus
  • Joint pain
  • Depression
  • Anxiety attacks
  • Slurred speech
  • Blurred vision
  • Memory loss
For more information view this video form Fox news on the dangers of Aspartame
For more, have a look at
https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/07/31/aspartame-update.aspx

I decided to watch the DVD "Sweet Misery" - my God, how did Searle get away with it - this stuff needs to be banned..

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
Neotame (cousin of aspartame)

Inventing sweeteners - Meet neotame, the cousin of aspartame

by Heidi Fagley

(NaturalNews) Developed by Monsanto and made by NutraSweet, neotame was approved in 2002 by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This artificial sweetener is being used as an additive in practically anything humans consume from soft drinks, dairy products, and yogurt to frozen desserts and even chewing gum. In addition, and unlike aspartame, neotame can stand a higher temperature heat, so many food manufacturers are including it in baked goods. Neotame has become an ingredient in hundreds of food products and is often blended with other synthetic sweeteners. Most recently it has been added to the feed for some livestock being raised for human consumption.

It is estimated that neotame is between 7,000 to 13,000 times sweeter than sugar, which would allow food manufacturers to use less in their products. And since the FDA does not require labels to include ingredients that contribute less than one percent of the product, in some instances neotame can be used in foods without having to be listed on the label. Neotame is also hidden under the infamous "natural flavors" category on some packaged foods.

This highly concentrated, white crystalline powder contains the same synthetic derivative of the two amino acids as aspartame - L-aspartic acid and L-phenylalanine - plus the chemical methanol, or wood alcohol. To this compound 3-dimethylbutyl has been added. NutraSweet company states that neotame is perfectly safe, yet 3-dimethylbutyl happens to be on the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) most hazardous chemical list.

Neotame does not have to carry the Phenylketonurics (PKU) warning on labels that include their ingredient. Phenylketonurics - or PKU - is the term used to refer to individuals that have the metabolic disorder Phenylketonuria. Those with this disorder cannot consume products that contain phenylalanine. Therefore, if products containing neotame do not include a warning label or state the ingredient is included, it could be potentially quite dangerous for these individuals.

Marketing companies claim that man-made chemical sweeteners help in the battle against obesity and in the onset of obesity-related diseases, yet statistics prove otherwise. Research has found that these artificial chemicals lead to weight gain by rapidly stimulating the release of insulin and leptin, two hormones that are directly related to satiety and fat storage.

It would seem that adding more chemicals to an already problematic chemical solution would only create more problems in the long run. At this time, long term effects on humans are unknown.

https://www.naturalnews.com/031767_neotame_sweeteners.html

limitme

marketing aspartame as a natural sweetener is fraud.

Its a shame the government only goes after the little guy for committing fraud.
It'd be better if the government weren't involved at all if that is the case.

knightofalbion

marketing aspartame as a natural sweetener is fraud.

Its a shame the government only goes after the little guy for committing fraud.
It'd be better if the government weren't involved at all if that is the case.
Very true.

And so many 'icons' of American culture like Pepsi, Coca Cola, Big Mac & similar etc. are fast tracks to ill health...And yet nothing is ever done.

jfh

perpetual student
Coke Zero uses aspartame. I wish Pepsi and Coke would get their stevia sweetened sodas to market. It's been in the works for a year.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
I use to see Zevia at my old Whole Foods stores
Since the last post, I've bought and tried a few flavors of Zevia for my sister who has diabetes...I didn't care for it at all. I'd rather take my plain seltzer water and add a spash of cranberry juice, etc.

HeavyTZM

Yeh water or tea is good enough for me, although I do sweeten tea with stevia