Ashwagandha - first time user, dosing question

SassyShan

HI everyone, I'm new!

Briefly a bit about my background: I'm a full time single Mum of 3 primary school age children. I am studying Bachelor of Health Science at University, and don't work. I am supported by benefits, which is barely sufficient, at the end of the fortnight there's little to no food left. I mention this to describe that my stress levels are high.

My youngest (6) has lots of food sensitivities, so I cook everything from scratch, and never buy packaged food or the like. I buy organic food as often as I can when its discounted. For the majority all our food is preservative and additive free. Mostly we eat meat and veg, fruit and nuts, not much else. We are sugar free too. I don't drink alcohol, take drugs or smoke cigarettes. I drink coffee! I am gluten and dairy free also (diagnosed ceoliac, doctors orders).

Ok, so that's the background. My symptoms: Angry for 3 weeks of the month, sad for half the month. Fully exhausted all the time!!!! I am irritable so often, raging a lot. It doesn't take much to make me angry, the woman in the queue behind me who stood too close, recalling a conversation with a neighbour a year ago where she annoyed me, not being able to find the TV remote, running out of loo paper. Anger seems to well up so easily and explosively. Then I am exhausted after I've expressed it. I am a wreck!!! Other times, I am too sad to go to Uni lectures, and I'll just go home and be a hermit at home, watching TV, because life feels too hard. I cry and feel miserable. Or I'll go home and sleep during the day. I have creeping anxiety over stupid things, scared my kids will one day have an accident, I see a child on a swing and feel terrified they'll fall etc.

I have been this way for 5 years. I am scared for the future, I'm wasted my life hiding away at home hating the world.

I believe whole heartedly that everything stems from the high levels of stress in my life. Until I finish my degree and start working, it will stay this way.

I take a multi vitamin, a B group vitamin and CoQ10 daily.

I have just ordered Ashwagandha for the first time, and am I'm waiting for it to arrive. I am really excited by this herb, as I feel it will change my life.

I hope it will give me energy and relief from anger/stress/anxiety/depression.

I bought Gaia Liquid capsules 183 mg per capsule
(https://www.iherb.com/Gaia-Herbs-Single-Herbs-Ashwagandha-Root-60-Vegetarian-Liquid-Phyto-Caps/23832)

Can someone please advise if I should take these in the morning or night? I don't want to feel any more lethargic than I do. I've read they help with sleep.

Should I take 1 or 2 capsules?

I'd appreciate any advice at all, thanks..

liverock

Hi Shan

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you are under so much stress.
Looking after 3 children and studying for a degree would stress out most people, especially if they were celiac as well.

In celiac disease there always the problem of poor absorption of minerals especially copper,calcium,selenium and zinc among others.

Copper especially if low could cause a lot of problems including stress, chronic fatigue symptoms as well as poor neurotransmitters formation. You can check all the above minerals and their symptoms in celiacs here:

https://glutenfreeworks.com/blog/category/celiac-disease/celiac-disease-symptoms/copper-deficiency/

Irritable, angry and rage, is a classic stress symptom caused by the adrenals going into fight or flight mode and increasing sodium levels which raise blood pressure. The problem is that sodium as a potassium antagonist sends potassium levels much lower and it might improve matters to take low sodium V8 juice or similar 3 or 4 times a day to up potassium.

You should ask your doctor as well for an adrenal saliva test to check your cortisol levels. If the adrenals get too stressed and stop producing enough cortisol then you could go into adrenal burnout.

Some celiacs also have problems with methylation and testing the MTHFR gene along with treatment can also be of help. Ask your doctor about this test.

https://jennifersway.org/frustrated-celiac-missing-link-mtrfr/

I think you should also try and get help from social services with counselling if you are finding it too much with coping with being a single mother and studying at a uni.

One thing about stress if you cant cope try and get help early,the longer you struggle on your own with high stress the worse it becomes as a burnout can take ages to recover from.

One thing I have found out in life and its probably the most important, if your desperate and cry out to God he will hear you and help you, maybe not right away and sometimes the help has come from another person brought into my life.but help has come.:)

As far as your question goes, two Ashwaganda tablets /day should help.

Let us know how it goes.

SassyShan

Original Poster
Hi Liverock,
Thank you for such a comprehensive and useful response!!

I've spent a bit of time reading up on the links you provided. Wow! So informative!

I've heard about the MTHFR gene before, and I've just now booked with my GP to get tested. I'll post back my results,as I think it might be interesting. I'll also get tested for copper and zinc. Your mention of potassium might explain why I feel so very good when I eat bananas!

Thank you once again, you've been very helpful! I'm taking on board all your advice and comments. (Even prayer, setting aside sometime with candles & incense shortly).

Shan. :-D

liverock

Shan

If your getting minerals tested by blood tests they are not really all that accurate, its better to get a hair mineral test. If you have a GP that understands the MTHFR gene you are lucky, most are completely ignorant about it.

Another mineral essential when under stress is magnesium. Stress will make magnesium disappear from the cells faster than an an ice cream dropped on a Brisbane sidewalk in the middle of a hot summer. When under stress adequate magnesium is essential.

https://www.natmedtalk.com/showthread.php?t=26643

Magnesium oil sprayed on the body might best for celiacs.Make sure its from the Zechstein seabed which is the best quality.

If you cant get it locally then Swansons have it in stock

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/health-library/products/barbara-hendel-magnesium-oil.html

Get Vitamin D levels checked, low levels cause fatigue.

I hope you are not praying to some New Age god with the candles and incense.:shock:

I spent 10 years in the occult/new age when younger and getting out nearly cost me my life. Take my word for it there's only one true God and that's the Christian God and he is accessed through Jesus Christ. Going to any other 'god' is asking for trouble.:evil:

Last edited:

liverock

Just jumping in here. MACA is good for leveling out mood swings and remaining calm. Just a little info about it here:

https://www.vegkitchen.com/nutrition/7-top-health-benefits-of-maca/

I have been taking it for a few months (and dumping ginko biloba) and I am a lot less cranky, so says my gf
Maca is good if your adrenals are in good shape because they stimulate the adrenal glands to produce more adrenal hormones.

If the adrenals are in a weakened and fatigued state it can whip them up to produce more hormones, but can eventually cause them to crash because they cant sustain the increased hormones. A bit like whipping a tired horse to work until it collapses. If the adrenals are only mildly fatigued then a low dose will probably be OK.

SassyShan

Original Poster
Shan

If your getting minerals tested by blood tests they are not really all that accurate, its better to get a hair mineral test. If you have a GP that understands the MTHFR gene you are lucky, most are completely ignorant about it.

Another mineral essential when under stress is magnesium. Stress will make magnesium disappear from the cells faster than an an ice cream dropped on a Brisbane sidewalk in the middle of a hot summer. When under stress adequate magnesium is essential.

https://www.natmedtalk.com/showthread.php?t=26643

Magnesium oil sprayed on the body might best for celiacs.Make sure its from the Zechstein seabed which is the best quality.

If you cant get it locally then Swansons have it in stock

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/health-library/products/barbara-hendel-magnesium-oil.html

Get Vitamin D levels checked, low levels cause fatigue.

I hope you are not praying to some New Age god with the candles and incense.:shock:

I spent 10 years in the occult/new age when younger and getting out nearly cost me my life. Take my word for it there's only one true God and that's the Christian God and he is accessed through Jesus Christ. Going to any other 'god' is asking for trouble.:evil:

Re: magnesium, I plan to get Mag Citrate, as I have learnt not all Mag supps are alike. Oxate for example, is bad news if you have issues with mood regulations ( my source is a Facebook mag advocacy group ).

Re: prayer/God, is this a religious website?? It seems awfully presumptuous of you to tell which God I ought to pray to, no? ;-p In any case, I pray to the Catholic kind. Those funny old buggers have been praying with candles and incense since Jesus was alive (remember Frankincense and Myrr?). I'm particularly fond of frankincense! Which is lucky as it also has great health benefits :)

I live an outdoors life and recently had my Vit D checked, it comes in at a healthy 90, not sure of the exact unit name but that was a high result apparently. Gratitude to my home town!

SassyShan

Original Poster
Maca is good if your adrenals are in good shape because they stimulate the adrenal glands to produce more adrenal hormones.

If the adrenals are in a weakened and fatigued state it can whip them up to produce more hormones, but can eventually cause them to crash because they cant sustain the increased hormones. A bit like whipping a tired horse to work until it collapses. If the adrenals are only mildly fatigued then a low dose will probably be OK.
Good info, thanks!

I fear I may be that flogged horse! Might steer clear of anything that isn't sustainable ☺

jfh

perpetual student
Those funny old buggers have been praying with candles and incense since Jesus was alive (remember Frankincense and Myrr?). I'm particularly fond of frankincense! Which is lucky as it also has great health benefits :)
I agree with the health benefits of frankincense, which I use a lot in the form of boswellia. Boswellic acid has been shown to be an excellent anti-inflammatory and has strong anti-cancer properties. Boswellia actually covers a number of species, including the species used to produce frankincense. This is a resin, so beware that it can be hard on the kidneys. Long duration of this excellent supplement is not recommended.

Now, don't discount myrhh. Here is one of my discoveries. https://www.natmedtalk.com/showthread.php?t=24982

liverock

Re: prayer/God, is this a religious website?? It seems awfully presumptuous of you to tell which God I ought to pray to, no? ;-p
Lots of topics discussed on this site which provoke disagreement beside health including conspiracies,politics,climate change, environmental and immigration issues among others. Nobody takes offence if you don't like comments or advice, whether on these or health issues, just agree to disagree.

SassyShan

Original Poster
Lots of topics discussed on this site which provoke disagreement beside health including conspiracies,politics,climate change, environmental and immigration issues among others. Nobody takes offence if you don't like comments or advice, whether on these or health issues, just agree to disagree.
Liverock I wasn't disagreeing. I was having a laugh with you, or so I thought. No offence here.

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus

If the adrenals are in a weakened and fatigued state it can whip them up to produce more hormones, but can eventually cause them to crash because they cant sustain the increased hormones.

Good info, thanks.

So it would be prudent to keep up on your minerals, salt and iodine.

SassyShan

Original Poster
HI There, I just wanted to report back some feedback on the Ashwagandha experience. This post might help others who are curious about its efficacy, and dose.

I have been taking it for 3 weeks now. I take https://www.vitacost.com/gaia-herbs-ashwagandha-root-60-liquicaps It is a 350mg dose capsule. I take one in the morning and one at night.

I can happily report it definitely took the edge of my monthly hormonal rage! I felt less inclined to kill people who annoyed me.

I am experiencing pre menopausal hormone changes, which make me really very angry and very irritable. I can FEEL a PHYSICAL surge in my body that I think is either adrenal or cortisol, or something else. THis lasts about 10 days. I'm beginning to accept that I'm kind of dangerous during this time, and so I limit my social interaction to that which is totally necessary. I can go off in a rage several times a day. This is all new over the past few years (I'm 45). Usually I'm really happy and easy going, and effervescent, and lovely (If I do say so myself :) ).

THe ashwagandha has helped me ride through annoyances, with only getting a little angry, as opposed to full blown rage. Trust me, that's a big difference. I had less frequent moods and they were less intense.

I"m looking forward to the next PMS cycle now, as I think it will be much better.

I still have to get testing done for cortisol, eostrogen, and adrenal imbalance, but I want to go through one more full cycle on Ash before I do.

Hope this feedback might be helpful for others! :)