Arthroscopic Knee Surgery is Usually Useless

Iggy Dalrymple

Arthroscopic Knee Surgery is Usually Useless
I have said repeatedly that surgery to trim cartilage in the knee is worthless. I have seen many patients who have had cartilage removed by surgeons for an average charge of $5000 and then they must have a knee replacement several years later. The surgeon must know about the harm he is doing because he has to see his patients for followup, when many of them require knee replacement surgery. http://www.drmirkin.com/joints/1259.html

Xania

My experience is similar - arthroscopy may give temporary relief of symptoms to some patients, but the condition always seems to return, needing more vigorous treatment later.
Maybe it's useful for short term relief.

healthy

as far as i know If you have persistent pain, catching, or swelling in your knee, a procedure known as arthroscopy may help relieve these problems. but i can't understand why you have gioven such comment, please let me know the reason clearly.

Xania

Healthy, if you are asking about the reasons for not lauding this procedure, it is for the reasons given- that it is something which gives temporary relief to some people but is not a long term solution.
If you are asking about JonB's comment - well, he likes a bit of fun!
Welcome to the forum, healthy!:)

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
The alternative treatment for osteoarthritis is CMO, Glusosamine supplements, MSM, Trace minerals and if you are older perhaps a HGH precursor supplement.

Xania

rcasady, thanks for the video. When was your surgery?

If you have a good result from it we would like to know. My views of that surgery are formed by my work - so I see only those people who have not had a successful outcome, or whose problems returned after a short time. I am not likey to meet those who are completely cured by this procedure unless such success stories are available online!

Janner

Last October I was waiting for the tree surgeon to come and trim the old Oak to the side of the house!!
But he delayed for a couple of weeks because he had to have this procedure done - well, 'they' said he had to have it done!!
It's done as day surgery here - keyhole operation - you can go home the same day!!
He picked up a HAI - Hospital acquired infection!! - Even now it's still touch and go as to whether he may need an amputation!!
Seems a high price to pay to me!

But then - I don't know how bad the pain was!!

jaminhealth

I deal with OA knee which started to bother me when I was 57. I worked with it, wore supports, and babied it and took supplements..and was doing so so, not great, but not horrible

Then at 72 yrs of age my hip was giving me issues so I opted for hip replacement and I was optimistic and NAIVE....I've been one of the misfortunates with this replacement and the knee is WORSE.

Then while doing Prolotherapy which was helping the knee, the doctor did them without UltraSound guidance and I ended up with infection in the knee.. Long story in hospital and rehabs for 4.5 months and docs didn't find the infection for almost 3 months. Did long term IV abx and they did a "clean out" of the knee and I SWEAR this made the knee worse.

So here I am at 81 and living with damage from hip replacement and a damaged knee and do my best NOT to get another joint removed.

Anyone out there NOT wanting to do knee replacement and living with plenty of pain?

So now I'm thinking of Infra Red Light for the knee....and I believe I have a post on this now.