Alzheimer's Association Warns Against Coconut Oil

d0ug

The medical system is always against anything that work especially if it is natural.
Coconut is full of saturated fat and the brain is made of cholesterol [saturated fat] so it does not take an Einstein to see the connection.

knightofalbion

I wouldn't like to say that it is so in this case but so many health charities seem to be more concerned with the perpetuation and preservation of revenue streams than overcoming the disorders they claim to represent.

How many times has ome heard the line 'further research is needed' whenever someone reports being helped or making a potentially significant discovery. One could be forgiven for thinking that such stock replies are in reality euphemisms for 'lets hope people forget about it'

But that's the beauty of the internet, if people aren't afraid to think for themselves, it gives them the opportunity to learn of such 'alternative' options and how they may have helped others and so might help them too.

greif

So true, there are a bunch of these that very little goes to research and most goes to Adam and and raising

d0ug

World renowned neurologist Dr Perlmutter says the exact opposite - coconut oil PREVENTS Alzheimer's disease.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-david-perlmutter-md/alzheimers-prevention_b_3965174.html
Yes they are going to give the pharmaceutical system 33 million dollars these are the same people we gave trillions of dollars to cure cancer. These are also the same people who can not cure heart burn or a cold. They say there is no cure for dementia well the people with Korsakoff’s Syndrome which is mistaken for Alzheimers by doctors and is a vitamin B1 deficiency Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome which is Korsakoff syndrome and another MS. Vascular dementia which can be corrected with supplements. These people that don't know that they want to give them millions of dollars. They should be going to jail.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
coconut oil results

More evidence of coconut oil treating Alzheimer's. Full story here... http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/how-coconut-oil-may-rescue-brain-alzheimers-disease?page=1

Medical researchers from the Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, NL, Canada, undertook a pilot study to investigate the effects of coconut oil supplementation directly on cortical neurons treated with amyloid-β (Aβ) peptide in vitro. Aβ peptide is the main component of certain deposits found in the brains of patients with Alzheimer's disease believed to contribute to the disease.

The researchers noted that a recent clinical trial, which we reported on in our article MCT Fats Found in Coconut Oil Boost Brain Function in Only One Dose, reported significant improvements in Alzheimer's disease patients after 45 and 90 days of treatment with medium chain triglycerides from coconut oil.

They pointed out that this trial led to the marketing of the FDA-approved 'medical food' caprylidene (trade name Axona), but that the public has shown greater interest in coconut oil itself as a potential therapy, owing to its far greater affordability and availability.

d0ug

I know a lot of people will disagree with me but I am not in favour of coconut oil for one reason like all oils they oxidize when exposed to air.
I think the results they are seeing are because of saturated fat which coconut oil is high in. We know that Alzheimer’s attacks the myelin in the brain and the myelin is 100% cholesterol [saturated fat] so if you replace the saturated fat you fix the myelin the insulator on the nerve cells. Is it worth the free radical damage made to your body by oxidized oils or get your saturated fat [cholesterol in another form.

jfh

perpetual student
I know a lot of people will disagree with me but I am not in favour of coconut oil for one reason like all oils they oxidize when exposed to air.
It has been shown that unrefined coconut oil will not oxidize for about 2 years sitting on the shelf. It has to do with the 8 acids in this oil. The major acid is lauric. There are 7 others that protect it and are very healthy for us. This is also why it has a high smoke value, meaning that it is the best oil to cook with when using high heat.

JanH

This comment isn't specifically about coconut oil, but about Knight of Albion's comment about protecting the revenue streams by health charities. Some years back the magazine of the American Diabetes Association published a recipe with 90 grams of carbs. When a reader wrote in objecting to this, saying no diabetic could be eating this many carbs in one meal (unless they had an insulin pump) ADA responded: "It has never been our policy to limit carbs, only fat." Needless to say, I'm no longer a member!

GreenEyedLady

the Medical System is run by our Sadistic Nazi government

I really HATE the pharmaceutical companies which are obviously run by our Sadistic Nazi government. It has messed up my life in many more ways than one :evil:

They will try anything and everything to discourage people to try something that doesn't make them the money, keep us addicted to their crap drugs which makes everything worse and not better!

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
I still try to get in my spoonful of coconut oil daily for dementia prevention in my old age and other numerous benefits.

Ted_Hutchinson

Reversal of cognitive decline: A novel therapeutic program
If you scroll down the page to Table 1 you will see that Bredesen suggests the use of MCT (which is refined from Coconut oil)
It's worth watching this video as it shows the difference before and after using the protocol.

Reversal of Cognitive Declinepresentation

If you want to investigate further there is in intersting paper here
Can Ketones Help Rescue Brain Fuel Supply in Later Life? Implications for Cognitive Health during Aging and the Treatment of Alzheimer’s Disease

Do bear in mind that Bredesen's protocol starts with DIET
GOAL 1 Optimize diet: minimize simple CHO, minimize inflammation.
Patients given choice of several low glycemic, low inflammatory, low grain diets.
the aim being to Minimize inflammation, minimize insulin resistanceGoal 2 Enhance autophagy, ketogenesis
Fast 12 hr each night, including 3 hr prior to bedtime.
Reduce insulin levels, reduce Aβ.
Last on the list is MCT effects Coconut oil

If you are going to reduce refined carbohydrate intake in those who have developed problems metabolising glucose efficiently then it is cruel not to ensure elderly frail people have an alternative fuel source they can metabolise. We shouldn't be waiting until we see symptoms of cognitive decline. We should ensure that from our mid-forties we are improving our ability to preserve the metabolic flexibility to burn stored body fat`.
Keeping our body used to using ketones every morning by fasting from dinner 6pm until breakfast at 8am allows 14 hours in which to deplete glycogen stores
An intermittent exhaustion of the pool of glycogen in the human organism as a simple universal health promoting mechanism