Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Vitamins & Supplements

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Adi Adi is offline
Observer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4
Adi is on a distinguished road
Smile fish oil - omega 3

hello.
I hope to get an answer soon.. if you like you could also mail me.
I started taking fish oil a couple of days back, it's working wonderfully. Today at 2 am I'm flying to Poland, and I thought I should take some with me. However, it says on the box it must be kept in cooling.
So my question is how important is keeping it in cooling after opened? is room temperature good enough? if it is then I don't think it'd get any higher than that.
Maybe I could take just a couple for the first few days and the others would probably be ruined later? or they'd all get ruined?


Does anyone have a suggestion perhaps of a way to take them so that they are kept cool?
Also, how bad is the damage of taking pills that have gone wrong because of staying too much in hot weather?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-08-2010, 08:39 AM
jerrylaw jerrylaw is offline
Observer
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6
jerrylaw is on a distinguished road
Default

The most important is don't put your bottle direct to the sun!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Adi Adi is offline
Observer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4
Adi is on a distinguished road
Default

well then if it's kept in a nylon bag room temp you think it should be ok?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-08-2010, 10:01 AM
kind2creatures's Avatar
kind2creatures kind2creatures is online now
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 6,403
Blog Entries: 47
kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi View Post
well then if it's kept in a nylon bag room temp you think it should be ok?
I never refrigerate my Omega 3 Fish Oil softgels. Just kept out of the light in a dry area is good. If it's in liquid form, then you may not be able to take it with you. Enjoy your trip!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Adi Adi is offline
Observer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4
Adi is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kind2creatures View Post
I never refrigerate my Omega 3 Fish Oil softgels. Just kept out of the light in a dry area is good. If it's in liquid form, then you may not be able to take it with you. Enjoy your trip!
yeah, they are softgel pills. Alright, thank you [:
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-08-2010, 02:40 PM
nightowl nightowl is offline
Beloved enlightener...always with us in spirit
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: S.W. Washington
Posts: 761
nightowl is on a distinguished road
Default Major law suit / contaminated fish oil

From Dr Cinque today:

Fish oil makers being sued

A group, including a California non-profit organization, is suing fish oil manufacturers and pharmacies that sell the popular supplements over their purported toxicity.

The lawsuit, filed Tuesday in San Francisco Supreme Court, claims that the makers and sellers of certain fish oil supplements found to contain high levels of PCB compounds - man-made industrial chemicals - have failed to alert consumers as required under California's right-to-know law.

The Mateel Environmental Justice Foundation, one of three named plaintiffs, tested 10 fish oil supplements out of more than 100 on the market. The other plaintiffs in the case are New Jersey residents.

Defendants include the world's largest producer of omega-3 fish oil, Houston-based Omega Protein, as well as drug stores Rite Aid Corporation and CVS Caremark Corporation.

"The people buying these fish oil supplements are not being told the PCBs are there," said plaintiff's attorney David Roe.

People consume fish oil supplements for the health benefits obtained from omega-3 fatty acids, but there are currently no standards for PCB contamination in the United States, according to Roe.

Also named as defendants are General Nutrition Corp, a subsidiary of GNC Acquisition Holdings Corp, Now Health Group Inc, Pharmavite LLC, the maker of the NatureMade brand of supplements, Solgar Inc and TwinLab Corp.

Dr. Cinque's comments: As you can see, these are some pretty big names. I've been saying for a long time that you can't just buy the cheapest fish oil on the shelf at the discount store. That's fine for some things but not for fish oil. I still take fish oil from Nordic Naturals. There are other good ones available but none better than this, especially from the standpoint of purity. It's tested down to one part per trillion.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Adi Adi is offline
Observer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4
Adi is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl View Post
From Dr Cinque today:

Fish oil makers being sued

A group, including a California non-profit organization, is suing fish oil manufacturers and pharmacies that sell the popular supplements over their purported toxicity.

The lawsuit, filed Tuesday in San Francisco Supreme Court, claims that the makers and sellers of certain fish oil supplements found to contain high levels of PCB compounds - man-made industrial chemicals - have failed to alert consumers as required under California's right-to-know law.

The Mateel Environmental Justice Foundation, one of three named plaintiffs, tested 10 fish oil supplements out of more than 100 on the market. The other plaintiffs in the case are New Jersey residents.

Defendants include the world's largest producer of omega-3 fish oil, Houston-based Omega Protein, as well as drug stores Rite Aid Corporation and CVS Caremark Corporation.

"The people buying these fish oil supplements are not being told the PCBs are there," said plaintiff's attorney David Roe.

People consume fish oil supplements for the health benefits obtained from omega-3 fatty acids, but there are currently no standards for PCB contamination in the United States, according to Roe.

Also named as defendants are General Nutrition Corp, a subsidiary of GNC Acquisition Holdings Corp, Now Health Group Inc, Pharmavite LLC, the maker of the NatureMade brand of supplements, Solgar Inc and TwinLab Corp.

Dr. Cinque's comments: As you can see, these are some pretty big names. I've been saying for a long time that you can't just buy the cheapest fish oil on the shelf at the discount store. That's fine for some things but not for fish oil. I still take fish oil from Nordic Naturals. There are other good ones available but none better than this, especially from the standpoint of purity. It's tested down to one part per trillion.
yeah, thanks, I've been told that.
However I'm using a brand that is manufactured here in Israel. It is not a cheap one and is quite high quality.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-08-2010, 03:49 PM
saved1986's Avatar
saved1986 saved1986 is offline
In seaerch of spicy food
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,068
saved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura about
Default

I refridgerate it , but you will be ok. Fish oil in other countries can be pricey.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-08-2010, 04:07 PM
kind2creatures's Avatar
kind2creatures kind2creatures is online now
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 6,403
Blog Entries: 47
kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold
Default

Thanks Nightowl for the info! Just the thought of that makes my skin crawl!

I've seen fish oil supplements at Rite Aid and Costco that are in big CLEAR jars, just that fact made me not buy them there.

Right now I'm using Swanson brand. It says on the bottle "Molecularly Distilled for Purity". Hopefully they're okay.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-08-2010, 04:27 PM
nightowl nightowl is offline
Beloved enlightener...always with us in spirit
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: S.W. Washington
Posts: 761
nightowl is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kind2creatures View Post
Thanks Nightowl for the info! Just the thought of that makes my skin crawl!

I've seen fish oil supplements at Rite Aid and Costco that are in big CLEAR jars, just that fact made me not buy them there.

Right now I'm using Swanson brand. It says on the bottle "Molecularly Distilled for Purity". Hopefully they're okay.
I think Swansons are trying really hard to build a quality supplement supply. They are probably fine.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-09-2010, 08:47 AM
jfh jfh is offline
perpetual student
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 5,068
jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold
Default

Why bother traveling with omega 3? Just take advantage of food sources - fish, eggs, walnuts, hazel nuts, .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-3...ietary_sources
__________________
.
- Jim

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-09-2010, 08:11 PM
jerrylaw jerrylaw is offline
Observer
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6
jerrylaw is on a distinguished road
Default

Good idea! jfh
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-27-2010, 03:58 PM
hwenley hwenley is offline
Observer
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 18
hwenley is on a distinguished road
Default Omega-3

By all means eat a wide variety of foods that contain Omega-3. A problem that is occurring tho is that the balance of omega-6 to omega-3 in most people's diets is too high in favour of omega-6. So for me, I also supplement with omega-3 fish oil (flax seed oil is beneficial too). My skin looks great as a result. Don't know how it's affecting my eyes, brain, mood and heart - but they all feel good.

Balance and synergy are key to taking supplements and an advanced quality brand will have that all worked out for you with their recommended doses.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Sunny Sunny is offline
Observer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 1
Sunny is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks nightowl - that's good to know.
I always suspected something like that would happen. We just dumb to much toxic stuff into the ocean. That affects the fish and then in an unhealthy kind of recycling we eat the toxic stuff with either the fish itself or with fish oil capsules.
But it's good that manufactures are now being called upon to act more responsible. Bad press is the last thing they want.

Sunny greetings

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-04-2010, 02:43 AM
nightowl nightowl is offline
Beloved enlightener...always with us in spirit
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: S.W. Washington
Posts: 761
nightowl is on a distinguished road
Default

Hi Sunny! Welcome aboard....I see this is your first post. There are lots of good people and lots of good information here, so I hope you find it to your liking.

Yes, pollution is everywhere these days, and it's impossible to look at a fancy bottle and know what is inside, so I agree that the industry needs supervision...but so far most so-called consumer protection groups have needed policing from within. Very often they are organized to discredit well known, safe and effective, natural supplements while helping sales of other brands and all the while have their hands in the cookie jar. I have no way of knowing about the group involved in the law suit in the article I posted above, but I am skeptical...it's a bad habit of mine!

nightowl
Reply With Quote
Reply
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Omega 3 Ted_Hutchinson Vitamins & Supplements 6 08-19-2010 02:10 AM
Omega 6 bad for you? someguy Nutrition 12 04-05-2010 08:03 AM
Omega 6/omega 3 balance Mari Nutrition 12 08-15-2009 07:40 AM
Fish and/or Fish Oil and Brain Health - Three New Studies Harry Hirsute Mental Health 1 12-26-2007 06:57 PM
Omega-3's (ALA) Harry Hirsute Other Diseases 1 11-03-2007 01:51 PM