Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Exercise & Dieting

� #1
Old 07-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Reader
Judie777 is on a distinguished road
Question Weight loss w/no thyroid

I had a total thyroidectomy 7 mos. ago. Since your thyroid IS your metabolism, does the hormone I now take, take the place of it as though I still have the thyroid? To keep it simple, thanks to the 6 months it took to find the right hormone I've gained about 15 lbs. and they HAVE to come off! Look at whats said on this link about all the natural stuff to take to help with weight loss and boosting metabolism and tell me if any of it will work on me! Thanks.

https://www.nahanniriverherbs.com/94,152
� #2
Old 07-21-2008, 10:16 AM
perpetual student
jfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nice

That list seems simple enough. I don't have a weight problem; except maybe underweight. However, I'm looking for better help by improving my liver. So, when you mentioned weight, I thought of lecithin, which I use to protect the liver.

Quote:
By Aldrich Cusens

Metabolism is the key to losing weight. A person with a faster metabolism is able to body to burn fat quicker, which is why most active children don't face weight issues. When we age, however, our metabolism slows down and we find it more difficult to keep the extra pounds off. Is there anything that we can do to put the life back into a sluggish metabolism?

Your liver is the key organ for metabolizing fat. You may find this surprising, but it's just one of the liver's many functions. The liver is also the main organ in the process of detoxifying pollutants and chemicals in the body. It also serves in storing glycogen, synthesizing plasma protein and producing bile, which is an important element in the digestion process. By the way, bile is also necessary for metabolizing the fats that are stored in the liver. Bile converts these fats into energy for the body to use.

The connections between the liver, fat metabolism, and eventual weight loss may seem remote at first. When you bring lecithin into the fold, however, you've found the key ingredient that brings them all together.

The Liver's Role in Weight Loss

Many of us are constantly struggling with weight gain. It's an ongoing battle that some people spend a lifetime fighting. We endure yo-yo dieting, with our weight constantly going up and down. At the same time, we contend with sluggish metabolisms and unbridled cravings. In the end, hardly anything ever works.

Success in weight loss requires addressing the root of the problem, rather than constantly trying to tackle the symptoms. A sluggish liver and congestion throughout the body will certainly lead to fatigue and malaise, but this is only part of an ongoing problem.

Weight gain is often the result of poor liver function. When your liver is in poor health and unable to perform its basic functions, there is a very likely chance that the condition will result in weight gain. Excessive weight due to liver malfunction is often presented in the forms of cellulite, water retention and extra inches around the abdomen.

Bile

Secreting bile is one of the liver's main functions. Known also as gall, bile is a complex, bitter tasting, greenish-yellow alkaline fluid. This fluid contains water, electrolytes, and a host of organic molecules including bile acids, bilirubin, cholesterol and phospholipids (lecithin). Bile is a critical element in digestion and crucial to the metabolism and absorption of fats and fat-soluble vitamins. Many of the body's waste products are also excreted into the bile.

Lecithin is an important element of bile, acting as an emulsifier and antioxidant. It helps to disperse cholesterol and break it down into essential fatty acids. Lecithin has a phosphate group that makes it hydrophobic, allowing it to move away from water and the fluids surrounding molecules. It also has a lipophilic (fat-loving) head that moves toward the fats.

The result is that lecithin helps in stabilizing the fatty acid molecules by forming a semi-permeable, lipophilic and hydrophobic ring around them. This emulsifying action helps to stabilize the bile and enables the liver to perform its many functions, including the breakdown of cholesterol and the metabolism of fat.

Lecithin and Weight Loss

Since scientists first discovered the role that lecithin plays in fat and cholesterol metabolism in the liver, many researchers have spent years focusing their studies on the connection between lecithin and weight loss. Is lecithin really a contributor to weight loss and, if so, what evidence is there to prove that there is a connection between weight loss and lecithin?

Many studies remain unreported, however, one investigation proves that there is some bearing on lecithin for weight loss. In this study, choline was found to be a component of phosphatidylcholine, which is one of the many names that scientists use to refer to lecithin. Choline is a nutrient essential to the human body that has the ability to break cholesterol into small particles and allow them to be easily handled by the digestive system. A sufficient intake of lecithin prevents the cholesterol building up within the walls of the veins and arteries.

The effect of lecithin on the liver can increase metabolism and, as a result, decrease extra pounds. This compound is commonly found in soy products and can also be taken as a supplement. Try it as an addition to your healthy diet and exercise regime.

About the Author:

Aldrich Cusens provides material for a variety of popular Internet magazines, on healthy weight loss and diet fitness issues.

"We all love ourselves more than other people, but care more about their opinion than our own." - Emperor Marcus Aurelius
� #3
Old 07-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Lecturer
Mad Scientest has a spectacular aura aboutMad Scientest has a spectacular aura aboutMad Scientest has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the forum! And right off on your first post you get a meaningful response with no criticism. Of course I knew that would be the case.
Hopefully here you will be able to find some real answers and loose some real weight.
� #4
Old 07-22-2008, 12:38 AM
Reader
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Scientest View Post
Welcome to the forum! And right off on your first post you get a meaningful response with no criticism. Of course I knew that would be the case.
Hopefully here you will be able to find some real answers and loose some real weight.
Thanks. I noticed that. Its a pleasure to be here. I hope that trouble can't find us here.
� #5
Old 07-22-2008, 02:34 AM
Observer
Doc Dinesh is on a distinguished road

Perhaps best option would be to be assessed by an endocrinologist.
Your replacement hormone is what your body can no longer produce but it is crucial to get the balance right.
� #6
Old 07-22-2008, 07:10 AM
Reader
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Dinesh View Post
Perhaps best option would be to be assessed by an endocrinologist.
Your replacement hormone is what your body can no longer produce but it is crucial to get the balance right.
I'm now on the 4th different strength of hormone since the surgery in Dec. I think this is the one. I haven't gained any more weight, my heart hasn't raced, I've not been cold nor abnormally hot, no headaches, no unusual fatigue, in other words none of the symptoms I had with the others that told me they were not right. So, I did ask my endocrinologist about supplements but all I asked her at the time was that all the thyroid boosters out there would not help me. I didn't ask about metabolism boosters. Are they the same?
� #7
Old 07-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Lecturer
Harry Hirsute will become famous soon enough
Default difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judie777 View Post
So, I did ask my endocrinologist about supplements but all I asked her at the time was that all the thyroid boosters out there would not help me. I didn't ask about metabolism boosters. Are they the same?
Usually, they are not the same. On occassion, you'll find a weight-loss supplement that also includes thyroid-stimulating or supporting ingredients though - because of the role that the thyroid plays in your metabolic rate.

One other note: you may need to exercise caution when using certain metabolism boosters like green tea extract.

https://thyroid.about.com/cs/toxicche...eafluoride.htm

This may not be much of a concern is you can find a product that is fluoride-free, or very close to it.
� #8
Old 07-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hirsute View Post
Usually, they are not the same. On occassion, you'll find a weight-loss supplement that also includes thyroid-stimulating or supporting ingredients though - because of the role that the thyroid plays in your metabolic rate.

One other note: you may need to exercise caution when using certain metabolism boosters like green tea extract.

https://thyroid.about.com/cs/toxicche...eafluoride.htm

This may not be much of a concern is you can find a product that is fluoride-free, or very close to it.
I am surprised at this! Only because its the first time I've seen it. I take aLOT of green tea everyday, although now that I no longer have a thyroid to damage maybe my concerns shouldn't be as great?
P.S. To those of you who don't know who I am from the 'other' health forum, I chose to cure my own cancer from the thyroid rather then use the prescribed chemical treatment. See:
https://www.healthiertalk.com/viewtop...=12434&start=0

I am now on a daily regimen of carefully chosen 'normal' good foods, and I take 36 supplements a day. So far I feel great.
Thanks for the info and link.
� #9
Old 07-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Lecturer
Harry Hirsute will become famous soon enough

Judie,

I believe that fluoride mostly affects the thyroid gland, rather than interacting with thyroid hormones that are replaced (orally). I'm not 100% sure about this however.

In any case, it would probably still be wise to try and limit your intake of fluoride (even from otherwise healthy sources - like green tea).

You may want to contact the manufacturer of the green tea you take. Ask them about the fluoride content of their product. I did this awhile back. I use a green tea extract by Now Foods. I contacted them and they responded with their most recent lab analysis. Their internal results showed a negligible amount of fluoride. I was pleased to know that they were monitoring this and providing a safe product.

Congratulations on your victory over cancer. Continued success!
� #10
Old 07-22-2008, 12:39 PM
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hirsute View Post
Judie,

I believe that fluoride mostly affects the thyroid gland, rather than interacting with thyroid hormones that are replaced (orally). I'm not 100% sure about this however.

In any case, it would probably still be wise to try and limit your intake of fluoride (even from otherwise healthy sources - like green tea).

You may want to contact the manufacturer of the green tea you take. Ask them about the fluoride content of their product. I did this awhile back. I use a green tea extract by Now Foods. I contacted them and they responded with their most recent lab analysis. Their internal results showed a negligible amount of fluoride. I was pleased to know that they were monitoring this and providing a safe product.

Congratulations on your victory over cancer. Continued success!
Thanks so much. I use the liquid green tea extract made by Herbal Authority. I just sent an email requesting the fluoride info. I'll try to find more info on how it affects what.
What I am taking today:
1. 6000 mg. Vitamin C
2. 1200 Mg. Calcium
3. 1000 IU Vitamin D
4. 2000 mg. green tea extract
5. 4 capsules IP-6 Inositol with Cats claw antioxidant
6. 4 capsules WellBetX PGX w/mulberry soluble fiber complex
7. 3 Graviola capsules
8. Omegasentials added to fresh fruit smoothies 2x day
9. Boku super food powder added to 6 ou. tomato juice.
10. Astaxanthin 4 mg. Antioxidant 6 per day
11. Tonalin CLA 1000 mg. 3x day
12. 7 Keto 3x day
13. Mega EFT omega supplement, 2 capsules 1x day

I'm just starting on Bromelain and took too much yesterday so I'll have to scale it back and try again. I've had a pretty upset stomach all day from it. But with the rest I feel really good. I plan to maintain this until Dec. when I go for more blood work and a scan. If its the same or better I may cut back on the above quantities a bit.
� #11
Old 07-22-2008, 04:49 PM
perpetual student
jfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nice

I was just introduced to Astaxanthin last year. It's an excellent product. Isn't it? I read that it is very good for poor vision. I also read that it is good for keeping oneself from sunburn so much.

Both green tea and black are high in fluoride. Too bad; because they are each quite helpful for health. I don't know about the extract which you are taking. That may be exempt. In my research for iodine, I discovered that iodine is most likely the only "chelator" of fluoride. They are both halogens along with chlorine.

I drink a lot of tea - green, black, white. Also, just too much coffee. I don't need any more acid.
� #12
Old 07-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh View Post
I was just introduced to Astaxanthin last year. It's an excellent product. Isn't it? I read that it is very good for poor vision. I also read that it is good for keeping oneself from sunburn so much.

Both green tea and black are high in fluoride. Too bad; because they are each quite helpful for health. I don't know about the extract which you are taking. That may be exempt. In my research for iodine, I discovered that iodine is most likely the only "chelator" of fluoride. They are both halogens along with chlorine.

I drink a lot of tea - green, black, white. Also, just too much coffee. I don't need any more acid.
I recommend astaxanthin to everyone! I've got 3 friends on this in the past couple of months and they are all thrilled with the results. Their skin is clearer, they have energy, they're menstrul cycles are straight, their daily bm's are on track, and YES, it does keep you from getting sunburn! My first day in the sun this spring was 5 hours and I used no sunscreen and did not burn at all. Now, 3 days at the beach last week? My nose got red enough to peel two days later but I did not know it had burned because the burn did not hurt at all. In the mirror my skin looked like a dark reddish brown all over but I really didn't know I'd burned my nose. I also don't get the brown sun/age spots on my face or hands anymore from the sun. I also used to get dark shading on my face and thats stopped, too.
The green tea I've taken long before my thyroid went bad so I wonder if that didn't contribute? I don't think we'll ever really know because of the bad habits I had with it.
� #13
Old 07-22-2008, 07:48 PM
perpetual student

I really don't suspect that fluorine contributes to thyroid problems. I think bromine is the culprit. Of course, your thyroid might have already been weak; then the bromine might have stopped the iodine from working by displacing it in the thyroid. This is highly speculative of course. I don't know if you'll ever find out. My sister had hers removed nearly 20 years ago. "They" warned her that she would gain weight; and she did. But she does over eat as well; so it could be a self fulfilling prophecy. I wonder if the medical industry ever tries to find out what really starts the process of deterioration.

Bromine has replaced iodine in bread making; actually the flour. It has been the cause of iodine deficiency and the many problems that this causes us. I read that some provence in Australia is going to put iodine back into bread. Smart people. I wish the US would consider that. I have at least found a bread, at the grocers, that specifically says no bromates.
� #14
Old 07-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Observer
Doc Dinesh is on a distinguished road

Both fluorine and bromine (and chlorine) affect the thyroid gland.All halogens will affect other halogens. In USA, fluoridated water supply caused much thyroid disease, Europe they add fluorine do salt.
� #15
Old 07-23-2008, 06:10 AM
perpetual student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Dinesh View Post
Both fluorine and bromine (and chlorine) affect the thyroid gland.All halogens will affect other halogens. In USA, fluoridated water supply caused much thyroid disease, Europe they add fluorine do salt.
Fluorine to salt? Gosh! I wonder what the purpose could be. No one will be able to avoid it. Might as well feed everyone rat poison.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.