Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > General Discussions

Old 07-19-2017, 09:13 AM
Observer

not sure is on a distinguished road
Default Severe restless leg syndrome ( rls )

I've tried oils, balms, cremes, otc supplements, bath before bed, drinking tonic water. Nothing even helps. My doctor says my only option is gabapentin. I'm up to 900mg before bed. It makes it bearable so i can sleep. Without it i cannot sleep at all. May be a separate issue but even medicated i lay in bed for a long time before i fall asleep. Any help?????
Old 07-20-2017, 07:38 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the forum. So sorry you are going through this experience.

The only thing I've ever read about RLS is that there is evidence that certain cases of the syndrome can be caused by magnesium deficiency. You could try supplementing magnesium or try to find out what is causing such a deficiency. Be sure to use a magnesium bound to an acid like magnesium citrate or mag malate. Not oxide. Only 200 to 400 mg. Even if it doesn't help, magnesium does so much more for you.

I use magnesium every night to calm my nerves and help me get to sleep. It is good for hypertension too. I calms the muscles, including the muscles within the arteries.

Some people on this forum like the use of transdermal magnesium in the form of magnesium oil. It's not really an oil, just feels slippery. Search for magnesium oil. Easy to find and not expensive. Some believe it is fast acting, and helps with Charlie Horses (muscle cramps).

Something else to try, is to bathe in epsom salts. Another form of magnesium.

Good luck with this. Sleepless nights can wreck havoc on your health.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller
Old 07-20-2017, 11:09 AM
Observer

not sure is on a distinguished road

I forgot to mention i have a blood test at least once a year to check the levels and everything is always great. So no deficiencies that I'm aware of
Old 07-20-2017, 05:30 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

I agree with all Jfh said about magnesium, I don't have restless leg but I take Magnesium Citrate everyday and also use mag. oil and the occasional epsom salts bath to relax my muscles.

Just because you have no 'deficiencies', does not mean you won't benefit from supplementation for your issues.

I also heard that Valerian Root is good for RLS, but as with all herbs, be sure to research all side effects and drug interactions, especially if you're on prescription meds.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:27 PM
Guide

JanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura about

I too have RLS, but only sometimes and sounds like mine isn't nearly as bad as not sure has it. I have tried an extra magnesium malate and walking around for awhile. Both help. I've also gotten a subliminal sleep CD that I put on continuous play and it soothes me enough to help me get to sleep. RLS is an extremely frustrating situation.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:05 PM
Guide

JanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura about

Interesting results of new study (from the July 31, 2017 issue of TIME):

"A Sense of Purpose can Help You Sleep
A new study in Sleep Science and Practice found that people who reported having a strong sense of purpose were 63% less likely to have sleep apnea and 52% less likely to have restless leg syndrome than those who scored lower on the purpose scale."
Old 11-17-2017, 09:32 PM
Frater Aegagrus

Solstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura about

This is supposed to help with restless leg. I've been taking it for about five years, but I also add magnesium chloride to mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1LGU_kefdU
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me." George Orwell
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.