Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Mental Health

Old 06-12-2017, 06:37 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold
Default Why Is Diet Soda So Bad For Your Brain?

A study in the journal Stroke showed a correlation between drinking diet soda and both stroke and dementia: people who drank at least one diet soda a day were three times as likely to have a stroke or develop dementia as those who avoided the beverages. Previous research had already uncovered a possible link with higher stroke risk. The findings in this study add some support to those results. The link with dementia, however, is new, and at minimum is enough cause for concern that it's worth studying further. Why might diet sodas contribute to these risks? Diet sodas are designed to trick the brain into thinking itís getting an extra dose of glucose (the brainís fuel), but eventually the trick is on us because the brain adapts to not receiving the added glucose by overcompensating in other ways (leading to a variety of effects still under investigation). Diet sodas could imbalance the bacterial jungle in our guts - the microbiome - causing unpredictable results. Since thereís a bacterial superhighway from gut to brain, which we know interacts with key neurotransmitters, this theory may eventually tell us more of a much bigger brain story. This study didnít narrow down the exact types of artificial sweeteners that were consumed, so itís an open question how one may have affected the brain differently than another. In the meantime, curtailing how much of any artificial sweetener you ingest, along with added sugar, is a reasonable position to take.

Note: Artificial sweeteners have also been connected with blood sugar level spikes, obesity, and diabetes. There is undeniable evidence that aspartame is toxic to the human body.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddi.../#7e2337625fad

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched ó they must be felt with the heart." ó Helen Keller
Old 06-12-2017, 08:11 AM
Observing cool stuff

happy2bhere will become famous soon enoughhappy2bhere will become famous soon enough

Diet sodas are designed to trick the brain into thinking it’s getting an extra dose of glucose (the brain’s fuel), but eventually the trick is on us because the brain adapts to not receiving the added glucose by overcompensating in other ways (leading to a variety of effects still under investigation).

I wonder if this is true of all "sweeteners" like stevia - tricking the brain? I use a mix of organic pure stevia and cane sugar...because I just don't know for sure.

I gave up on all "diet" foods/drinks awhile ago. I do indulge a bit of Fentiman's Curiosity Cola...but there is alot of sugar.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:03 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bhere View Post
I wonder if this is true of all "sweeteners" like stevia - tricking the brain? I use a mix of organic pure stevia and cane sugar...because I just don't know for sure.
Stevia is classified as an artificial sweetener, but it does not affect blood glucose or insulin response. Research has shown that there is no accumulation of stevia (or any byproduct of stevia) in the body during metabolism. It is because of this poor absorption in the digestive tract that stevia has zero calories and does not raise blood glucose or insulin levels when digested.

Xylitol is very similar in that it's molecules are too large to be processed by the body. It passes on through without affecting the insulin response, so diabetics can use it.

Here are health benefits of stevia

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/287251.php
Old 06-13-2017, 09:29 AM
Observing cool stuff

happy2bhere will become famous soon enoughhappy2bhere will become famous soon enough

Thanks so much jfh. When I looked it up there were So many conflicting opinions..
Old 06-14-2017, 05:26 PM
Guide

JanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura about

Lo Han Guo or monkfruit is an excellent sweetener that doesn't have the bitterness of stevia and doesn't stimulate insulin production. It also contains amino acids that are actually good for you. Not difficult to find online.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.