Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Health Insurance

Old 08-02-2018, 02:55 PM
Observer

Happyflowerlady is on a distinguished road
Default Medicare Advantage Plans Benefits

My husband and I have a medicare Advantage plan, and we both really like the extra benefits that come along with the Advantage Plans.
My favorite benefit is the fitness membership, which can be either Silver Sneakers, or Silver and Fit, depending on which provider your Advantage plan goes through.
We go to the fitness center almost every day, and I swim for an hour, while my husband works out with the exercise machines and weights.

Another thing is that the Advantage plans have coverage for eye exams and glasses, and also dental care. My plan (through United Healthcare) has around $2500 in dental benefits, plus cleaning and free exams. Each company chooses what benefits are added with their plans, so it is good to have a health insurance agent to help you choose a plan that best meets your needs.

One of the other benefits is a whole catalog of OTC items, everything from vitamins, pain meds like acetaminophen, knee and elbow wraps, and things like bathtub chairs and other helpful equipment.
My UHC has $250 each quarter allowed to spend on these items from their catalog, so it can really save money on things we purchase at the store anyway.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:40 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

I have a free gym membership through my Kaiser Advantage Plan, doesn't have to be a Silver Sneakers class. I'll go more in winter, right now been too busy and taking some vacations.

I haven't really used it since I got it, but glasses and dental care sounds good. How much do you pay for your Advantage premium, mine is $0 per month, free....so I probably don't have as many pluses as you have.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:47 AM
Observer

Happyflowerlady is on a distinguished road

Mine is free, too, but that is because I am very low income, so my medicare is subsidized. I think that the paperwork that I got said the cost was about $16 per month, so even that is not very much if a person was paying it themself, and it covers a lot of good benefits.
You might have some of the other benefits and just don’t know it, if you have not looked for them.
It sounds like you have the Silver Sneakers plan, too, and there should be a list of included facilities in your area if you look on the Sneakers website to see which fitness places are included .
We have several places that are included with Silver Sneakers Advantage, but the Wellness Center (where we go) is the only one that features a swimming pool and water classes.
I don’t go to any of the classes, we just go in and work on our own exercise programs, but the Wellness Center does have a lot of different classes, and many are geared for seniors.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:39 AM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

Yes, I signed up for free at the 24 Hour Fitness center when I received my silver sneakers card. I just stayed on my own and did the treadmill, exercise bike, elliptical and weight machines when I did go.

So far the only service I received under Medicare Advantage was a mammogram, so I haven't read the booklet which explains everything that's covered yet.

Thanks for your reply!

Tags
health benefits, medicare advantage
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.