Old 06-01-2016, 05:15 PM
Observer

Supracath12 is on a distinguished road
Default Can not sleep

I can not sleep. I have been so tired and go to bed and then I toss and turn. What can I do to help get me to sleep and stay asleep? I eat pretty good, get exercise and also do not have tons of stress in my life.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:56 PM
Guide

JanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura about

Melatonin (but in much higher doses than the piddly 3mg frequently sold). Also sound generators or subliminal CDs that generate sleep-inducing soothing sounds help me. Benedryl or the PM versions of OTC pain killers perhaps on a very occasional basis, but be aware they can cause dry mouth, vivid dreams or nightmares, and long term supposedly can cause dementia.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:29 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

The one thing that helps me when all else fails is 5-HTP. Sometimes, I will also take it with 5mg Melatonin. Magnesium is also relaxing, and greatly helps when I feel like I might have restless leg syndrome (occasional).

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller
Old 06-04-2016, 09:27 AM
Observer

naturegal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supracath12 View Post
I can not sleep. I have been so tired and go to bed and then I toss and turn. What can I do to help get me to sleep and stay asleep? I eat pretty good, get exercise and also do not have tons of stress in my life.
Seems the harder I try to fight to get to sleep, the more insomnia I have. I've learned to just keeping reading. Reading help relax me, and I also have tinnitus which the worst enemy of tinnitus is total quiet around me. So I usually have to turn on a little, nature, sound app on my phone. If it's rain, that seems to help me the most. I can read with that sound going on.

So I found that just anything that will relax me, and keep my mind away from "thinking" helps me get drowsy. But like I said, if I lay there and think about trying to fall asleep, I definitely don't

I don't know how it is for you, I'm just saying this is the type of insomnia I get. I will walk up to 6 miles, or go to the gym and dance freestyle, lift some weights, walk home, and have a good dinner (nutritious) and I can still get insomnia. Tea helps, I forgot about that, like the sleepytime. But if my mind is trying to do a marathon of thinking, nothing I put in my body will help me sleep.

I just happened to wonder if I am awake because I'm thinking, or am I thinking because I'm awake, LOL!!

Sorry, I know it's not funny, I sympathize with you, and relate.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:30 AM
Observer

naturegal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh View Post
The one thing that helps me when all else fails is 5-HTP. Sometimes, I will also take it with 5mg Melatonin. Magnesium is also relaxing, and greatly helps when I feel like I might have restless leg syndrome (occasional).
On the magnesium jfh, do you take it in pill form, or the transdermal I think it's called?

I want to get some because a lot of things are caused by deficiencies as we age, I'm 63 now. I didn't like taking magnesium because it gave me the trots, but I read this a.m. that you can use it topically, or there are even bath "salts"?
Old 06-06-2016, 08:05 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturegal View Post
On the magnesium jfh, do you take it in pill form, or the transdermal I think it's called?
I have used the transdermal mag, called magnesium oil. It works very well and very quickly for getting more magnesium in the body.

I take magnesium as a capsule. I avoid mag oxide, because it is not used well by the body and just sits in the intestines collecting water. This is why it causes loose bowel movements. So, always look for magnesium citrate (citric acid), magnesium malate (malic acid comes from skin of apple), or any other form of magnesium bound with some acid. Supplement vendors use mag oxide, because it is cheap. It really does work, if you are constipated though. I have used it many times for that.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:12 AM
Enlightener

u&iraok will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supracath12 View Post
Oh, my goodness, this is my subject! I sleep poorly so I've been working on this for years and have gotten a lot better.

Everything Jan says.

Also, make your room dark with black out curtains. Wear ear plugs if noises wake you up. Fresh air works best for sleep with room at a cool temperature. Try not to use tv or electronics for an hour before bed. No caffeine from the afternoon on. Warm bath before bed. Exercise several hours before bed.

Supplements: melatonin, timed release and quick release. Some experts say that lower amounts work better than higher amounts. Other sleep products, I have a few favorites I like, experiment to see which ones you like. Sour cherry juice also contains melatonin and can be helpful.

You may have vitamin deficiencies--calcium, magnesium, potassium, trace minerals, B12 and the Bs, other deficiencies.

There could be problems with the neurotransmitters. Things that help with those are: 5-HTP, Tryptophan, l-theanine, St. Johns Wort, gaba.

Herbs for relaxation such as chamomile, kava kava (don't take too much of this), passion flower, valerian, etc.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:39 AM
Guide

Ajax has a spectacular aura aboutAjax has a spectacular aura aboutAjax has a spectacular aura about

Very old school solution: read a book when you get into bed - nothing too exciting -- no murder mysteries or horror. Non-fiction is best. If something you bought came with a big instruction manual, that may do it. As soon as you find yourself nodding off, drop the book and turn out the light.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:07 PM
Observer

Carina Mellbin is on a distinguished road

New here!
learning allot from your post thank you!
Old 09-12-2016, 03:30 PM
Observer

Valeria is on a distinguished road

Think about it the other way! You were given the gift of time! You can now think of a million things, get your plans straighten out, revise your past and think about the future. Maybe write a story in your head, and then one day it would be a great book)))
Old 09-29-2016, 06:58 AM
Lecturer

liverock is a glorious beacon of lightliverock is a glorious beacon of lightliverock is a glorious beacon of lightliverock is a glorious beacon of lightliverock is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturegal View Post
I don't know how it is for you, I'm just saying this is the type of insomnia I get. I will walk up to 6 miles, or go to the gym and dance freestyle, lift some weights, walk home, and have a good dinner (nutritious) and I can still get insomnia.
Exercise like this can cause insomnia as exercise raises the hormones cortisol and endorhins levels, you need low cortisol levels to fall asleep.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/40...fter-exercise/
Old 09-19-2017, 11:44 AM
Observer

neotheone is on a distinguished road

<3mg Melantonin, maybe some daily magnesium supplements(beneficial to me).

"White noise" also helps, IMO. I used to have a HEPA air purifier in the BR, discarded it when it got old. I am shipping for a new one, definitely the white noise helps, plus purifying the air in the sleeping room is of value.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.