Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Vitamins & Supplements

Old 10-01-2015, 07:59 AM
Enlightener

d0ug has a spectacular aura aboutd0ug has a spectacular aura aboutd0ug has a spectacular aura about
Default supplement or not ??

Supplementing 101
The doctors say all you need is to eat right and you will get all you need and no need to supplement. This statement has probably kill millions of people. First how do you get good vegetables well you grow them using fertilizer either natural or artificial another words you supplement them. They have known for almost 100 years the soils are mineral deficient a document sent to the government in 1934 stating that fact. Most all plants only need 9 minerals to be healthy and you need to supplement them with NPK to get healthy vegetables. This means you supplement the plant by 1/3 of its needs. People need 60 minerals not all are essential but have the ability to double the life span in animals. Most all farmers supplement their animals to have healthy cattle, horses, ect. Most all animal foods are heavily supplemented with minerals. Dog food has over 40 minerals in it and dogs live longer now than ever before. Baby formulas have 7 11 minerals and food chemistry said that formulas only have 40% of the need of an infant. The elements in the periodical table are mostly all minerals and all things are made from them. Plants cannot make minerals but the can make vitamins and amino acids but they need the building elements to do that. The vitamins in fruit and vegetables are becoming less every year.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:25 AM
Reader

larryz has a spectacular aura aboutlarryz has a spectacular aura about

Excellent post Doug and completely accurate. Conventional medical doctors aren't typically schooled in nutrition anyway, so who the hell are they to not recommend supplements? They're typically uneducated and throwing out dumb baseless statements.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:50 PM
Observer

Monica_Francis is on a distinguished road

I agree as well. I believe in supplements. My issue is with how they are brought to market and how loose the regulation are around making the supplements. Articles like these bother me: http://www.naturalalternativeremedy....y-supplements/ . Thoughts?
Old 10-23-2015, 07:02 AM
Enlightener

d0ug has a spectacular aura aboutd0ug has a spectacular aura aboutd0ug has a spectacular aura about

There is lots of ways of supplementing and the obvious is buying what you need. But if you get fertilizers that have 90+ minerals in it [Fulvic acid or ocean water and wood ash] you are supplementing naturally. It you do not trust what you buy than go around them. Only if you have a particular ailment that you might thing of buying the mineral/vitamin/amino acid and fatty acid to treat the ailment.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:54 AM
Reader

larryz has a spectacular aura aboutlarryz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica_Francis View Post
I agree as well. I believe in supplements. My issue is with how they are brought to market and how loose the regulation are around making the supplements. Articles like these bother me: http://www.naturalalternativeremedy....y-supplements/ . Thoughts?
All nutritional supplements aren't created equal. There are many crappy useless varieties out there. Do your research, read reviews, etc. Those made/distributed by www.nutraceutical.com are excellent for the most part. They also have shareholder investors to answer to. I see you are a teacher? Keeping vaccines, drugs out of your body is another good thing in my opinion.

Anyway that's for another day. Take care.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:31 PM
Explorer

hopeful is on a distinguished road

I can't afford a lot of vitamins, but being elderly I do find a way to buy some basic essentials.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:46 PM
Observer

Jeff_T is on a distinguished road

Supplements aren't regulated, so how do you know what you're getting?

How do you know what you need? Is there a way to measure whether and to what extent you have a deficiency?

I thought much of the effect of a vitamin (or mineral) in food is the additional ingredients in the food that enhance the effect of the vitamin. What kind of synergy is there in a supplement?
Old 05-12-2016, 03:19 PM
Enlightener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_T View Post
Drug are regulated and kill millions of people vitamins and minerals zero

How do you know what you need? Is there a way to measure whether and to what extent you have a deficiency?
You need 90 essentinial and when you take all they will balance the system.

I thought much of the effect of a vitamin (or mineral) in food is the additional ingredients in the food that enhance the effect of the vitamin. What kind of synergy is there in a supplement?
Most foods are deficent in nutrition that is why they put some vitamin/minerals in them.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:46 AM
Enlightener

u&iraok will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_T View Post

It can be complicated. The best thing to do is see a naturopath or nutritionist that can test you for what you're deficient in. For example it's assumed that most people need extra zinc but not copper so most multis have zinc but very little copper. But what if you're deficient in copper?

But most people benefit from a good, natural multi. There is just not enough nutrients in today's food in the U.S. Too many people have deficiencies but are full of toxins.

Many people are deficient in Vitamin D, Magnesium and trace minerals. Many take calcium but not Vitamin K. Many would benefit from extra folate and B-12 and all the B's, antioxidants and so on.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:48 PM
Observer

sigmagoose is on a distinguished road

Agreeing with Doug, you have to supplement. Nowadays, the way food is processed, it is hard to get the minerals and nutrients that you need from food unless you grow it yourself and making sure that you are putting minerals back in the soil for future crops. We sure don't farm like we did 100 years ago.

My standbys are a good multi-vitamin (stay away from the junk in the box stores that is full of proceeded chemicals...you are just throwing money away). Vitamin K, Vitamin D3, Iodine, Selenium, Liposomal Vitamin C, Cod Liver Oil. I also use MSM and Magnesium gel.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:01 PM
Guide

Ajax has a spectacular aura aboutAjax has a spectacular aura aboutAjax has a spectacular aura about

Both GMO farming and antibiotics robs food of nutrition and vitamins and Vitamin D deficiency is very common these days. I take a number of individual vitamins and she away from multivitamins. Here's an example of what "brand name" multivitamins can have in them ....

http://www.mtwholehealth.com/2013/05...d-multivitamin
Old 08-01-2016, 07:06 AM
Observer

Carina Mellbin is on a distinguished road

As far I know you will only advise by a physician to take supplements if your body needs it.
some body builder take it so they can build more muscles.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:38 AM
Enlightener

All people need nourishment and it has been proven the food we get now has no nourishment. It is so obvious you need to take a supplement to get what your food does not have. Doctor have little to no knowledge on nutrition so having a doctor to tell you about something he has little or no knowledge is asking for a big problem. Ask him about a drug or what size bandage to put on is a good idea.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:47 AM
Observing cool stuff

happy2bhere will become famous soon enoughhappy2bhere will become famous soon enough

I am all about supplementing good nutrition. I eat very well but how much is absorbed and really how much good stuff is even IN the food anymore?

It's my enjoyment in life. Some people invest in eating at restaurants and buying a big screen TV with all the trimmings *cable, etc., ME?

Give me organic whole food and proper supplements. thanks
Old 09-12-2016, 03:17 PM
Observer

Valeria is on a distinguished road

Just eat organic, and take extra vitamins and you won't need anything else! The main harm is garbage food we eat and poison ourselves.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.