Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Diabetes

Old 05-09-2015, 03:01 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs down Another Study Links Statin Drugs to Diabetes

Cholesterol lowering statin drugs are linked to Diabetes.

Quote:
Another study has confirmed that statin drug use increases one’s chance of developing diabetes. Statin drugs are the all-time leading prescription drugs sold in the U.S. and around the world, prescribed by doctors to lower people’s cholesterol levels. It is estimated that one out of every 4 people in the United States over the age of 50 is currently taking statin drugs for cholesterol.

This current study just published looked at 26,000 beneficiaries of Tricare, the military health system. They found that those taking statin drugs to control their cholesterol were 87 percent more likely to develop diabetes. The study was published in the Journal of General Internal Medicine.

- See more at: http://healthimpactnews.com/2015/ano....9LDF2frd.dpuf
Old 05-10-2015, 05:40 PM
Guide

JanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura about

I'm curious how statins affect the body if (as I am) already diabetic. Do they make it worse? My doctors at Kaiser have been pushing statins on me for over a decade (but I am not now and never have taken them), telling me how extra important they are for diabetics, that every diabetic absolutely MUST be taking a statin. Recently I showed my "Dangers of Statins" list to my new doctor. She pooh-poohed nearly every one. I do NOT have high cholesterol but she says "oh, we don't pay any attention to the numbers any longer," and said that I absolutely needed to be taking them because they would prevent pieces of cholesterol from breaking off and giving me a heart attack. I welcome responses from knowledgeable people here!
Old 05-11-2015, 07:47 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

My cholesterol is considered high (213). I do not consider it high, since it has been close to that for several years, and I'm still alive and doing well. I don't like that my LDL is higher than my HDL. Something is oxidizing my cholesterol.

My cardiologist says that as long as I continue taking fish oil (he means omega3), I will not have to take statins. I told him that I would not take statins no matter what. If it comes close to that, I will add garlic and serrapeptase on a more consistent frequency.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched — they must be felt with the heart." — Helen Keller
Old 05-11-2015, 08:59 AM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

More on statins, seems like in other countries cholesterol at 240 does NOT mandate statins by the doctor. http://www.natmedtalk.com/showthread...hlight=statins
Old 05-18-2015, 02:01 AM
Lecturer

Ted_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the rough

Total cholesterol and cardiovascular disease: A U-curve relationship

Quote:
Based on this graph, the best range of TC that one can be at is somewhere between 210, where cardiovascular disease mortality is minimized; and 220, where total mortality is minimized.
Lowering a TC level of 213 is almost certainly going to increase the risk of all cause mortality.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:22 AM
Lecturer

Ted_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the rough

Raised cholesterol is good for you

The Journal article Dr Kendrick is talking about downloads as a Ann Nutr Metab 2015;66(suppl 4):1–116 free full text pdf from here

Tags
statins
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.