Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Dentistry

Old 08-22-2014, 07:48 AM
Observer

Cassie is on a distinguished road
Question Thoughts on Coconut Oil + Baking Soda Toothpaste?

I have been searching for an alternative to commercial toothpaste and oral hygiene products. I read a post that suggested a great alternative was by mixing coconut oil and baking soda. Unfortunatly the article was a little vague regarding the quantities http://www.herbalhive.com. I am curious to know if anyone has tried this and if it tasted awful?

Any other suggestions or alternatives would be great?
Old 08-23-2014, 12:13 AM
Observer

Eclipse1111 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
I have been searching for an alternative to commercial toothpaste and oral hygiene products. I read a post that suggested a great alternative was by mixing coconut oil and baking soda. Unfortunatly the article was a little vague regarding the quantities http://www.herbalhive.com. I am curious to know if anyone has tried this and if it tasted awful?

it dosent taste amazing but does toothpaste? lol...

you can add some tinctures of some tea tree oil or peppermint to that mix and freshen it up! or you can add orange or whatever you like... But yes a mix of those is really good and stop using the tooth paste they are giving us, its full of complex toxins, chemicals and metals the body has no idea what to do with or how to get rid of it. Its like that friend you always press decline to on the mobile phone..

Baking soda is one of the most alkaline substances and will clean your mouth well. Disease thrives in a acidic environment. The opposite of alkaline is acidic. you want your whole body / lifestyle to be a good balance more so on the alkaline side.

Coconut oil is very detoxifying and tastes great and also has a crap load of anti parasitic, viral and bacterial properties.

add coconut oil to everything.. its very hydrating and healing as well, if you have a nice raw organic kind. You want a good quality kind so you get lots of electrolites in it and all the great stuff the body understands and can use. coconut oil is great for the skin hair lips,

you can even buy a bigger batch of coconutoil and make other things like shampoo if you enjoy making your own... could start a little business! Eitherway, you are headed in the right direction! keep it up andkeep researching and learning about everything you are interested in and finding out, you owe it to yourself, when you know better you start to do better more often! spread the word! <3
Old 08-23-2014, 05:29 AM
Guide

revzen will become famous soon enoughrevzen will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to revzen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post

Quantities and a variety of recipes too !
using
http://modernsurvivalblog.com/health...paste-recipes/

My wife makes our toothpaste, it consists of Virgin Coconut Oil, Baking Soda and Oil of Cloves; and it tastes great! It has helped me immensely as before I began using it I was having plenty of dental problems, and had 5 teeth extracted in 5 months(3 were extracted in one sitting!), I was a regular at the dentist and received invites to staff parties !!! My dental health is now great and in 12 months I've had zero teeth extractions !

We also make our own shampoo and deodorant ! Both are excellent. Shampoo consists of Castille Soap(melted), water and Almond Oil; quarter cup of Castille and water. half a teaspoon of Almond Oil - and my hair is so much better.

Deodorant consists of Virgin Coconut Oil, Baking Soda and Lavender Oil.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:00 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

The toothpaste does not taste bad to me, even without any essential oil flavoring. This is a very healthy toothpaste. The coconut oil has 8 acids and the baking soda has some minor abrasion that dissolves well while brushing.

One of the major acids of coconut oil, lauric acid, is not found very much in nature. It is predominantly found in human mother's milk though. That should tell you that the acid is very good for elimination of bacteria.

It is a myth that disease thrives in an acid environment. Nearly all bacteria, good and bad as well a cancer, produces acid as part of their life cycle. This is the reason that lactobacillus is such a good probiotic. It produces lactic acid to keep the intestines somewhat near the acid state. Acid is also why apple cider vinegar is so very popular in the health community. ....but I certainly would not use the vinegar in a toothpaste.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller
Old 08-25-2014, 06:52 PM
Observer

Cassie is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the information - I really like the idea of adding peppermint essential oils as I think I am most concerned about the taste. I will give it a try and let you know how it goes. Thanks heaps
Old 11-26-2014, 11:00 AM
Observer

NUCKY is on a distinguished road

I make toothpaste I can not tell u exactly my recipe but I think this is close enough
with a bit of thinking u will make a great toothpaste when u get it right it tastes like wiped cream and coconut your teeth feel clean but u need a pallet cleanser to make u feel fresh lemon or something u might add things ok the powder to make the paste
Kaolin clay/bentonite clay/calcium powder/pumice/hymalian salt super fine/ crushed natural sweetener/baking soda (bi carb) that's a start on the powders there fine u could change them now the oils coconut oil/witch hazel oil/clove oil mhr oil/ distilled water lemon myrtle oil/peppermint oil. mix powders together add a little water and mix then add half the witch hazel oil and coconut oil to powder mix well then add the rest of the coconut witch oil mixture it will clump around spoon add more water and oil a little at a time till it looks like cake mix then adjust consistence with more powder or water and oil when it looks good this paste is off white add flavour

Tags
baking soda, coconut oil, dentist, toothpaste
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.