Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Dentistry

� #1
Old 03-27-2014, 12:53 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
kind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nice
Exclamation Hydrogen Peroxide Harmful to Teeth and Gums

I was using hydrogen peroxide as a mouthwash in place of Listerine, but they say that it is harmful to the teeth and gum tissue...https://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/hyd...-harmful-teeth
� #2
Old 03-29-2014, 02:57 PM
Guide
d0ug will become famous soon enoughd0ug will become famous soon enough

I have used it for years. I will just wait a bit maybe they will change their minds.
� #3
Old 03-29-2014, 08:36 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
kind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nice

I know what you mean Doug, LOL! I thought if it killed the bacteria, it had to be good to use.
� #4
Old 03-30-2014, 06:42 AM
perpetual student
jfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the rough

I believe the article.

I use H2O2 to rinse only whenever I see blood on the floss. I use to have a lemon tree. It had so many lemons that I could make a lot of lemonade, and use lemons in cooking. My dentist noticed that it was affecting my teeth, and recommended that I slow down. Enamel is not easy to recover.

For my teeth and gum health, including whitening, I use baking soda and coconut oil to brush. Then I don't even use a mouth wash. Otherwise I use the NOW brand Xylitol toothpaste.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
� #5
Old 04-24-2014, 06:20 PM
Observer
davids111 is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

I have used hydrogen peroxide, for several decades at night, as a toothpaste, so your linked article, K2C, certainly caught me eye. However, the "over-the-counter" hydrogen peroxide that is normally purchased is only 3% hydrogen peroxide. Note these quotes from the article:

"Taking into account that over-the-counter hydrogen peroxide concentrations can be as high as the formulas used by dentists in bleaching sessions (20-30%) and the growing popularity of hydrogen peroxide as an alternative therapy, the danger of potential long-term teeth damage by using high concentrations of hydrogen peroxide as a casual mouthwash are unknown, underestimated and largely under-discussed."

And, "Odontoblasts, are directly damaged or show a significant decrease in their metabolic activity as a result of the bleaching sessions using 35% hydrogen peroxide gel."

And, "The authors tested 35% and 20% concentrations of hydrogen peroxide and report that the 35% hydrogen peroxide diffused faster into the pulp chamber than the 20% hydrogen peroxide bleaching gel.

"It is speculated that lower concentrations of hydrogen peroxide may have significantly less toxic effects on dental pulp cells..."

Frankly, at 3%, I'm just not concerned [although it never hurts to examine different viewpoints]. I do believe the article was specifically cautioning against the [much more highly concentrated] teeth whitening concentrations, even though it did mention using it daily as a "mouthwash."

Thanks for posting, K2C,

David
� #6
Old 04-24-2014, 08:07 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

Thanks for pointing that out David, I was thinking of the regular strength 3%.
� #7
Old 04-25-2014, 01:30 PM
Observer
davids111 is on a distinguished road

You are most welcome, K2C. ( : > )

Tags
gums, hydrogen peroxide, teeth
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.