Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Vitamins & Supplements

� #1
Old 02-23-2014, 10:45 AM
Observer
SADman is on a distinguished road
Default Natural alternatives for social anxiety?

My psychiatrist prescribed me an SSRI called Citalopram about a month ago. I haven't taken any yet, because I would rather take a more natural approach. I have been taking Pharma GABA for about 2 weeks now and it has been working wonders in terms of general anxiety. It clears my mind of automatic negative thoughts, I can focus more and it calms me down. It also keeps my anxiety from getting so bad that it causes stomach issues. I plan to buy some 5HTP this morning to see if that will help me with social anxiety and depression caused from social anxiety. I have done some research online and it is said that it is safe to take both Pharma GABA and 5HTP together? I heard that 5HTP usually makes people really tired? If that is the case, would it be safe for me to sometimes drink an energy drink or a coffee if I took 5HTP and Pharma GABA earlier in the day? I have had no problem with energy drinks or coffee while taking Pharma GABA alone.

I also plan to try out: Rhodiola Rosea, SAM-E, Magnesium, Holy Basil, and maybe St. John's Wort.

Has anyone taken any of these? Which are the best for social anxiety? I'm looking for something that will lift my mood, which will allow for a more natural confidence in social situations.

I would appreciate any help from any of the experts on here.

Best Regards,

Robert
� #2
Old 02-25-2014, 09:31 AM
Observer

Really? Nobody can help me at all?
� #3
Old 02-25-2014, 11:47 AM
perpetual student
jfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the rough

This is not an easy one SADman. You are taking the best herbs and vitamins for anxiety, but social anxiety (panic attacks/stage fright) isn't easy. I posted, a while back, that I use to know young people that took propranolol / Inderol for stage fright before a musical concert. It worked within one hour before and did not affect their thoughts or creativity. It is a common beta blocker that doctors prescribe for blood pressure. It keeps the heart from racing. I think the closest thing that resembles it is 5HTP, which you plan to try.

Hypnosis is another possibility, though that never helped me. Practice is something that works too. Check out your local Toastmasters org.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
� #4
Old 02-26-2014, 07:31 AM
Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh View Post
This is not an easy one SADman. You are taking the best herbs and vitamins for anxiety, but social anxiety (panic attacks/stage fright) isn't easy. I posted, a while back, that I use to know young people that took propranolol / Inderol for stage fright before a musical concert. It worked within one hour before and did not affect their thoughts or creativity. It is a common beta blocker that doctors prescribe for blood pressure. It keeps the heart from racing. I think the closest thing that resembles it is 5HTP, which you plan to try.

Hypnosis is another possibility, though that never helped me. Practice is something that works too. Check out your local Toastmasters org.
Yes, thanks for the reply. I actually only took 100mg of 5htp so far, but I plan to take a higher dose that is still a safe amount and see how that works for me. I will have to take it after I eat next time, because taking it before just a snack really got to my stomach all night. Have you tried 5HTP as well? Does it bother your stomach? Does it help you out?
� #5
Old 02-26-2014, 09:00 AM
perpetual student
jfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the rough

When I can't sleep, I take 5HTP - therefor on empty stomach. Otherwise I prefer melatonin.
� #6
Old 02-26-2014, 11:22 AM
Lecturer
knightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura about

Hello dear Robert.

Two suggestions:

Bach Flower Remedies - A much respected natural treatment, especially the most famous Bach Flower Remedy 'Rescue Remedy'. ('Rescue Remedy' carries the royal crest which means the Queen uses it.)

Herbal nervine. From my personal experience, the version intended for night-time use is the most efficacious. Most of them are based on valerian and passiflora and this is the formula to go for. Take a couple of hours beforehand. They will calm you, enabling you to be yourself.

Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever or whatever is the victim.
Everything is worthy of kindness.

https://holy-lance.blogspot.com
� #7
Old 02-27-2014, 08:39 AM
Guide
d0ug will become famous soon enoughd0ug will become famous soon enough

Linus Pauling said all sickness, ailment, and disease can be traced back to a mineral deficiency. Now you have tried most all the recommended herbs and limited success.
There could be a mineral that your body needs and it is very hard to know what it maybe a hair analyses or try a supplement that has 60 + minerals as a shot gun approach.
� #8
Old 05-19-2014, 09:51 AM
Observer
nettle is on a distinguished road

Hi Robert, I'm also looking for the same stuff, so i'll follow your thread!
Myself, i'm just going to try with skullcap and valerian and hops, and maybe vervaine and lemonbalm, depending how good the first ones help. But since i'm total a beginner, i don't know if these are really helpful for social anxiety.

Since you ask for natural alternatives, i also find meditation helpful. but not as a quick fix- solution, i feel that it takes a lot of time of practice and perseverence, and it was actually getting harder in the beginnen, and it's important to do it regularly. But now i do find that is helps me.

Also EFT seems to have some good influence on me, even though i've just started quite recently.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.