Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > General Discussions

Old 02-21-2014, 09:32 AM
Enlightener

limitme will become famous soon enough
Default How to Fix Swollen Turbinates So You Can Breathe At Night (My opinion)

I assume most of you have this problem. You cannot fall asleep unless you can breathe easily through at least one nostril. For me, its my left one. We all know the cause at this point, swollen turbinates.
We've all tried "home remedies", oils, showers, steam, diet, sprays, herbs. But eventually, it doesn't work anymore.
Here are the 2 ways I think it can be fixed:

1. nasal stent that patient puts in at night and takes out themselves in the morning.

2. carbon dioxide

Number one is only available in all of Europe and European territories: (including British virgin islands)
it is called the alaxo stent. They also have different sized ones called alaxo lito stent.
here's the official website: http://www.alaxo.com/alaxostent_eng.html
I personally believe this is the cure we have all been looking for. I live in the US, though, so I have not been able to try it.
You put it in at night, and it holds your turbinates open all night for full easy breathing.

Number two is a theory I have. I believe the evidence is showing that carbon dioxide constricts blood vessels, thus it will shrink the turbinates when they fill with blood. Most of us have heard of the Buteyko method. It works based on the principle that carbon dioxide buildup will cause the turbinates to shrink.
Anyway, I have read where doctors shoot carbon dioxide gas up people's noses for about 5-7 minutes and it causes the nasal passage to open up for about 4-5 hours.
The only problem with this method is you need access to a tank of carbon dioxide gas. But if you could get one from a food vendor or something and have a tube hooked on it, you could administer CO2 gas in your nasal passage for a little while and it should open it up.

Something I am testing now is just sticking a straw (with rounded edges) in my blocked nasal passage to force the passageway open. What I have found so far, is that even when my left nostril is blocked, when I stuck a straw up it and forced it to open for about 30 seconds and then pulled out the straw, it seemed to trigger the left nasal passage way turbinates to de-swell.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:40 PM
Observer

jphickory is on a distinguished road

The carbon dioxide idea sounds interesting. Do you think you would need to breathe it in or just blow the carbon dioxide on the swollen turbinate?

I'm not a natural mouth breather and my nasal passages close at night. Makes falling asleep and getting a good nights sleep very difficult for me. Two things that have helped me manage my situation:

1) I use a cpap. I was diagnosed with OSA but I think the main cause of the OSA is my swollen turbinates. The cpap helps force air into my nostrils and I find I'm usually able to breathe fairly well out of one side with the cpap.

2) In addition to the cpap, I occasionally (no more than 3 nights per week) spray one side of my nose with diluted afrin. I dilute the afrin 10 parts salt water to 1 part afrin. Even in this highly diluted solution, and using only one squirt, it will open the treated nasal passage for about 8 hours and I get a goodnights sleep breathing well from one side. I never use it at any other time.

In this diluted form it takes about 20 to 30 minutes to open the passage. I thoroughly enjoy the anticipation of it opening and then putting on my nasal cpap and feeling the joy of effortless nasal breathing as I drift off to sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limitme View Post
I assume most of you have this problem. You cannot fall asleep unless you can breathe easily through at least one nostril. For me, its my left one. We all know the cause at this point, swollen turbinates.
We've all tried "home remedies", oils, showers, steam, diet, sprays, herbs. But eventually, it doesn't work anymore.
Here are the 2 ways I think it can be fixed:

1. nasal stent that patient puts in at night and takes out themselves in the morning.

2. carbon dioxide

Number one is only available in all of Europe and European territories: (including British virgin islands)
it is called the alaxo stent. They also have different sized ones called alaxo lito stent.
here's the official website: http://www.alaxo.com/alaxostent_eng.html
I personally believe this is the cure we have all been looking for. I live in the US, though, so I have not been able to try it.
You put it in at night, and it holds your turbinates open all night for full easy breathing.

Number two is a theory I have. I believe the evidence is showing that carbon dioxide constricts blood vessels, thus it will shrink the turbinates when they fill with blood. Most of us have heard of the Buteyko method. It works based on the principle that carbon dioxide buildup will cause the turbinates to shrink.
Anyway, I have read where doctors shoot carbon dioxide gas up people's noses for about 5-7 minutes and it causes the nasal passage to open up for about 4-5 hours.
The only problem with this method is you need access to a tank of carbon dioxide gas. But if you could get one from a food vendor or something and have a tube hooked on it, you could administer CO2 gas in your nasal passage for a little while and it should open it up.

Something I am testing now is just sticking a straw (with rounded edges) in my blocked nasal passage to force the passageway open. What I have found so far, is that even when my left nostril is blocked, when I stuck a straw up it and forced it to open for about 30 seconds and then pulled out the straw, it seemed to trigger the left nasal passage way turbinates to de-swell.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:18 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold

Interesting.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:28 PM
Guide

JanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura aboutJanH has a spectacular aura about

Might want to try the nasal spray from NutriBiotic, made with grapefruit seed extract. It's not habit-forming and really does help keep my nasal passages open and it also helps lubricate. It's good stuff! It's available here:
http://www.nutribiotic.com/nasal-spray.html
Old 08-22-2014, 01:40 PM
Enlightener

d0ug has a spectacular aura aboutd0ug has a spectacular aura aboutd0ug has a spectacular aura about

Everyone breaths through one nostril at a time and than the body changes to the other this is totally normal. Test it your self even went you breath normally one nostril has the majority of air and the other is blocked and if you check one hour later you will probably find it is the other nostril.
The medical will call it a problem so they can make another drug to over ride the normal body function.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.