Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Vitamins & Supplements

Old 11-08-2013, 03:25 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

kind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to beholdkind2creatures is a splendid one to behold
Default Herbal Supplements Are Powdered Rice and Weeds?

Article telling why some herbal supplements may not be what they seem...http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/05/sc...=science&_r=2&
Old 11-27-2013, 08:07 PM
Explorer

BKnatural will become famous soon enough

This is why I mostly get the nutrients and vitamins from foods and it makes things alot simpler. I didnt think that herbal supplements could be crooked to that extent though. Should never assume though I guess
Old 01-25-2014, 09:16 AM
Observer

Life_Vibrantly is on a distinguished road

The FDA might be using this study to promote their regulation of supplements. And that's not good!
Old 01-25-2014, 06:18 PM
Lecturer

mommysunshine will become famous soon enoughmommysunshine will become famous soon enough

This article is bogus! The intent is to turn people off from herbs. Will this competition ever stop? Probably not.

While some manufacturer's use fillers like rice, that happens with most supplements.

Buy from a reputable company, look at the ingredients (you need one ingredient: your herb of choice) and you won't go wrong buying an herbal supplement.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:20 AM
Guide

Ajax has a spectacular aura aboutAjax has a spectacular aura aboutAjax has a spectacular aura about

Of course it was a research group sponsored by MDs that did the study. Their agenda is - don't take supplements, take drugs! Don't prevent illnesses - go and get sick and then see your MD!
Old 01-27-2014, 08:22 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to beholdjfh is a splendid one to behold

The study seemed fair to me, and headed by the university's professor most concerned in forest biodiversity and ecosystem management. Dr. Steven Newmaster. We don't know if this was an industry sponsored study though. I do agree with the study. There is too much money for scammers to ignore.

It is best to buy from companies that you have a reasonable feeling of trust. I like Life Extensions and Mountain Rose for example.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller
Old 04-11-2014, 06:35 AM
Explorer

BKnatural will become famous soon enough

If they feature this on a major corporate news feed, you know it's fishing bait for the pharmaceutical companies to lure you in to taking more drugs
Old 05-06-2014, 09:35 AM
Observer

CGNatural is on a distinguished road
Default Why is NYT protecting the identity of these companies

It makes no sense to me that the folks who conducted this "research" didn't reveal the names of these companies. And even if the researchers weren't willing to reveal the names, you'd think as a news organization the New York Times certainly would make the revelation. Of course the NYT being a mainstream media property probably takes in lots of money from Big Pharma. It's always important to look at the source and follow the money.

I agree with BKNatural, it's best to get your nutrients from food. But there's an issue regarding the nutritional state of the food supply that seems to never be reported, and I suspect it may be one of the most important public health issues confronting our society, and goes a long way in explaining the difficulties we face in maintaining good health. I found the information in an article regarding the difference between synthetic and natural supplements at SupplementsFromNature.com, and this information regarding our food supply strikes me as information that should be very widely disseminated.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:48 AM
Guide

Ajax has a spectacular aura aboutAjax has a spectacular aura aboutAjax has a spectacular aura about

It's not really practical to get all your nutrients from food and not use supplements. Reservatrol comes from grape seeds, but you normally don't eat a whole lot of grape seeds in your everyday meals. Also I, personally, don't eat a lot of krill, not being a deep sea creature myself, but I enjoy the vitamin E krill oil supplements.

Tags
herbal
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.