Frater Aegagrus
\r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n
\r\n\r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n Posts: 2,036\r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n
Solstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura about
\r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n\r\n
\r\n <!-' + '- / user info -' + '->\r\n
\r\n \r\n <!-' + '- message, attachments, sig -' + '->\r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n <!-' + '- icon and title -' + '->\r\n
\r\n \r\nDefault\r\n\r\n Arrowwind\'s Pickled Garlic Recipe\r\n
\r\n
\r\n <!-' + '- / icon and title -' + '->\r\n \r\n\r\n <!-' + '- message -' + '->\r\n
\r\n \r\n Never been a plagiarist, but if this recipe turns out good..........
\n
\n
\n
\r\n
Quote:
\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n Originally Posted by Arrowwind09\r\n View Post\r\n
\r\n
I was getting ready to pickle some garlic. We love it. I use chardonnay wine and vinegar. It lasts all winter, if you can mange not to eat it to quickly... what Im saying is that it ages well and doesnt go bad.
\n
\nPickled garlic, on the other hand, has entirely different beneficial compounds than dried, cooked garlic and they work differently in the human body. Eating pickled garlic does NOT give the consumer either immediate garlic breath or secondary garlic odor (sweat, lungs, etc.) hours later whereas cooking fresh or dried garlic gives both kinds of odor. The acid in vinegar neutralizes the Alliinase and slowly breaks down the rest of the cloves into odor-LESS water-soluble compounds that circulate via the bloodstream, mostly S-allyl cysteine (SAC), the active ingredient in Kyolic brand of aged garlic extract. Kyolic has shown in many studies that SAC lowers cholesterol, blood pressure and sugar levels and inhibits platelet aggregation as well. While SAC has some anti-tumor properties, the odorous sulfides that circulate in the lymphatic system have greater anti-cancer properties. The wonderful thing is that the longer you leave the garlic in the vinegar, the more SAC is formed - for over 4 years - it just gets better with age - up to about 5 years! There\'s just as much SAC in the vinegar as there is in the garlic. Growing and pickling your own garlic is a great and inexpensive way to enjoy excellent flavor and get a few health benefits, too.
\n
\nthis is the recipie that I have used and I have been advised that this cooking will not damage the nutrients.
\n
\nThis is a good recipe and one that I have made!
\nMellowed by brief cooking and wine, this pickled garlic is very mild in flavor. Slice it to add to salads or use as a garnish. Or top off the jar with olive oil, and serve the whole cloves as an appetizer.
\nServings: Makes 1 cup
\ningredients
\n1/2 cup white wine vinegar
\n1/2 cup dry white wine
\n1 small dried chile pepper
\n1 small thyme sprig
\n1 small rosemary sprig
\n1 small bay leaf
\n10 black peppercorns
\n2 teaspoons sugar
\n1/2 teaspoon pickling salt
\n1 cup peeled fresh garlic cloves
\npreparation
\nPut all of the ingredients except the garlic into a nonreactive saucepan. Bring the contents to a boil, and gently boil them for 5 minutes. Add the garlic. Return the contents to a boil, then cover the pan, and remove it from the heat. Let it stand at room temperature for 24 hours.
\nBring the contents of the saucepan to a boil again, then transfer them to a half-pint jar. Let the jar cool, and cover it tightly with a nonreactive cap.
\nStore the jar in the refrigerator. The garlic will be ready to eat in about 5 days, and will keep well for about 1 year.
\n

\nthis recipie is a no cook one. I would boil my jars and lids first but because the garlic is not cooked in the jar I cant say how long it will last.
\nsource information The Joy of Pickling Harvard Common Press
\nNo Acid Pickled Garlic
\nngredients:
4 quarts jar full of peeled garlic bulbs
cold water, enough to top off jar
3 heaping tbsp salt
\nTurn this recipe into a puzzle! [click]
\n
\n
\nDirections:
\nBoil water and salt. Cool the liquid and pour it over the garlic in the jar. Keep at room temperature for 2 days. Continue the pickling process in the refrigerator for 2-3 months
\r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n <!-' + '- / message -' + '->\r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n <!-' + '- sig -' + '->\r\n
\r\n __________________
\r\n "We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me." George Orwell
\n
\r\n
\r\n <!-' + '- / sig -' + '->\r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n \r\n\r\n
\r\n <!-' + '- controls -' + '->\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n Reply With Quote\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n <!-' + '- / controls -' + '->\r\n
\r\n\r\n <!-' + '- message, attachments, sig -' + '->\r\n\r\n
\r\n\r\n\r\n<!-' + '- post 212714 popup menu -' + '->\r\n\r\n<!-' + '- / post 212714 popup menu -' + '->\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n
\r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n \r\n
\r\n\r\n
\r\n
\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n\r\n
\r\n \r\n
\r\n
\r\n
\r\n\r\n<!-' + '- / close content container -' + '->\r\n\r\n<!-' + '- / post #212714 -' + '->'; // next/previous post info pn[212714] = "212714,212714"; pn[0] = ",212714"; // cached usernames pu[0] = guestphrase; pu[16702] = "Solstice Goat"; // -->
Prev Previous PostNext Post Next
� #1
Old 04-30-2013, 06:42 PM
Frater Aegagrus
Solstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura about
Default Arrowwind's Pickled Garlic Recipe

Never been a plagiarist, but if this recipe turns out good..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowwind09 View Post
I was getting ready to pickle some garlic. We love it. I use chardonnay wine and vinegar. It lasts all winter, if you can mange not to eat it to quickly... what Im saying is that it ages well and doesnt go bad.

Pickled garlic, on the other hand, has entirely different beneficial compounds than dried, cooked garlic and they work differently in the human body. Eating pickled garlic does NOT give the consumer either immediate garlic breath or secondary garlic odor (sweat, lungs, etc.) hours later whereas cooking fresh or dried garlic gives both kinds of odor. The acid in vinegar neutralizes the Alliinase and slowly breaks down the rest of the cloves into odor-LESS water-soluble compounds that circulate via the bloodstream, mostly S-allyl cysteine (SAC), the active ingredient in Kyolic brand of aged garlic extract. Kyolic has shown in many studies that SAC lowers cholesterol, blood pressure and sugar levels and inhibits platelet aggregation as well. While SAC has some anti-tumor properties, the odorous sulfides that circulate in the lymphatic system have greater anti-cancer properties. The wonderful thing is that the longer you leave the garlic in the vinegar, the more SAC is formed - for over 4 years - it just gets better with age - up to about 5 years! There's just as much SAC in the vinegar as there is in the garlic. Growing and pickling your own garlic is a great and inexpensive way to enjoy excellent flavor and get a few health benefits, too.

this is the recipie that I have used and I have been advised that this cooking will not damage the nutrients.

This is a good recipe and one that I have made!
Mellowed by brief cooking and wine, this pickled garlic is very mild in flavor. Slice it to add to salads or use as a garnish. Or top off the jar with olive oil, and serve the whole cloves as an appetizer.
Servings: Makes 1 cup
ingredients
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 small dried chile pepper
1 small thyme sprig
1 small rosemary sprig
1 small bay leaf
10 black peppercorns
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon pickling salt
1 cup peeled fresh garlic cloves
preparation
Put all of the ingredients except the garlic into a nonreactive saucepan. Bring the contents to a boil, and gently boil them for 5 minutes. Add the garlic. Return the contents to a boil, then cover the pan, and remove it from the heat. Let it stand at room temperature for 24 hours.
Bring the contents of the saucepan to a boil again, then transfer them to a half-pint jar. Let the jar cool, and cover it tightly with a nonreactive cap.
Store the jar in the refrigerator. The garlic will be ready to eat in about 5 days, and will keep well for about 1 year.

this recipie is a no cook one. I would boil my jars and lids first but because the garlic is not cooked in the jar I cant say how long it will last.
source information The Joy of Pickling Harvard Common Press
No Acid Pickled Garlic
ngredients:
4 quarts jar full of peeled garlic bulbs
cold water, enough to top off jar
3 heaping tbsp salt
Turn this recipe into a puzzle! [click]

Directions:
Boil water and salt. Cool the liquid and pour it over the garlic in the jar. Keep at room temperature for 2 days. Continue the pickling process in the refrigerator for 2-3 months
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me." George Orwell
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.