Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > General Discussions

Old 02-22-2013, 03:44 PM
Reader

majbsb is on a distinguished road
Default what adaptogens do you take and why?

Hi all,

As per title, what adaptogens/tonics do you take and why?

Do you mix any?

just wondering
Old 02-23-2013, 07:42 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the rough

Jiaogulan - strongest of the adaptogens, related to ginseng, used for stamina and hormone balance.

Ashwagandha - sometimes called Indian ginseng, but not related. For me, overall best. Is natural beta blocker for heart. Is a nervine and sedative.

Astralagus - best for blood and spleen toning. Increases natural killer cell activity, so is good when one is weak.

Schisandra - my favorite. Counter stress and fatique. Helps the liver to function better.

It is important to remember what adaptogens do. They balance. When something is overactive they soothe. When something is underactive they boost.

Yes, you can and I do mix or take together.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
Old 02-23-2013, 08:43 AM
Lecturer

knightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura about

Korean ginseng (the milder Siberian ginseng is better for women). The original adaptogen and still the best in my book.
In use for thousands of years. A trusted natural remedy.

I remember when I first got into naturopathy the natural health magazines here in England were loaded with advertisements for ginseng of all descriptions. The famous Red Kooga being the market leader.
It sorted me out back in the day and I still have fond memories of it.

You have to give it 4 weeks or so to kick in, but a remedy that has stood the test of time for a reason and something certainly worth trying if you feel you need a tonic to build you up and re-balance you.

Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever or whatever is the victim.
Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 02-24-2013, 02:13 AM
Reader

Thanks for the replies. I've been taking....

Ginseng - Korean
Astragalus
Schizandra
He Shou Wu
Maca
Shilajit

in spring water with living silica.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:51 AM
perpetual student

jfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by majbsb View Post
Shilajit

in spring water with living silica.
Shilajit is like boswellia (frankensense) which is also a very good adaptogen. However, I would not take either of them too frequently. They are a resin/tree tar. This is difficult for the kidneys.

My policy is to take stuff during the week and then take a break from everything on the weekend. Give the body a break and let it try to manufacture or gather things on its own. There are essential things that the body does not manufacture, but I try to get that through diet. But things like boswellia deserve more time off than 2 days per week.

And what do you mean by "living silica"? Silica is a mineral and is the most abundant mineral in the body. I take silica in the form of diatomacious Earth. Silica also is part of the fiber of most vegetables. Is your living silica same product brand hype?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:49 AM
Reader

Many thanks for the advice on Shilajit. I shall cycle it. Off weekends, on weekdays. I feel 100% certain the adaptogens have improved my health. The living silica is this brand:

http://www.iherb.com/Silicium-Labora...-1000-ml/25875

I'm also just waiting on some pink salt in the post before I start to make my own sole salt solution too.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:05 PM
perpetual student

That brand is way too expensive. They claim it is the best for bioavailability, but silica is easily absorbed by the body as it is friendly to the body in the first place.

Check into diatomaceous earth on this forum. http://www.natmedtalk.com/showthread.php?t=4215 You will see that you can even use just one teaspoon in a gallon of distilled water and drink a cup a day replacing the water in the jug when it gets low. With that one teaspoon, it will last for a year. To make it more bioavailable, just add some lemon or other citrus to the cup, not the jug. That will convert most of it to orthosilicic acid, which is the bioavailable form.

Food grade here http://www.morethanalive.com/DEP
and http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/di...human_use.html

I use 1 teaspoon in water, stir, and drink right away. I let the tiny crystals go through my entire digestive system. I expect the stomach acid to make orthosilicic acid.

Then you can also use it for your pets for deworming. Or put it on your window sills to keep the ants unhappy.