Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Cancer

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-09-2013, 12:33 PM
pinballdoctor's Avatar
pinballdoctor pinballdoctor is offline
Lecturer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Saskatchewan Canada
Posts: 1,853
pinballdoctor is on a distinguished road
Default The Failure Of Cancer Medicine?

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la...228-7/fulltext

The failure of cancer medicine?

The Lancet



Feb 4 was World Cancer Day, an opportunity to critically consider progress against cancer. Is it fair to say that the cancer medical community has failed patients living with cancer? This is a harsh statement, but according to respected oncologist, Franco Cavalli, whose Comment leads a discussion about cancer in today's Lancet: “Current strategies to control cancer are demonstrably not working.”


We publish four Comments related to World Cancer Day and a Seminar on acute myeloid leukaemia in adults. Cavalli indeed gives a blunt description of the challenge we face from cancer and he appeals to world leaders and policy makers for more effective action against cancer to incorporate the Stop Cancer Now appeal, which emphasises the UN goal of reducing premature deaths from non-communicable diseases by 25% by 2025.


In October, 2012, cancer researchers, clinicians, policy makers, industry representatives, patient advocates, and journalists from several titles, including The Lancet, met in Lugano, Switzerland, at the World Oncology Forum. Their ten-point message can be paraphrased as doing what we know how to do better in terms of prevention, treatment, and care; and learning what we do not yet know more efficiently through new models of research focused on patient benefit. Central mechanisms for achieving these changes include having a clear cancer strategy for each country, universal health coverage to deliver higher quality cancer care, and to wage war on tobacco.


World Cancer Day, 2013, set out to debunk many myths about cancer. One of those myths is that cancer is solely a health issue. The Comment by Ara Darzi and colleagues debunks that myth well by presenting some socioeconomic aspects of cancer and how these relate to sustainable development. Their message is a reminder of the increasing challenge of cancer in developing countries. Felicia Knaul, Rifat Atun, Paul Farmer, and Julio Frenk elaborate on the cancer divide in their online Comment, describing how low-income and middle-income countries have only 5% of the finance to deal with 80% of the burden of cancer.


The size of the shadow cast by cancer is enormous, as shown in The Lancet's special issue on the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010 published last December. This collaboration revealed the true and surprising extent of the rapid transitions the world is seeing—demographic, disease, disability, and risk. A key finding is the epidemic nature of non-communicable disease and its attendant risk factors. Cancer is a high priority within this broad agenda.

Worldwide cancer diagnoses and deaths are increasing. 8 million people died from cancer in 2010, a 38% increase compared with 1990. Cancer diagnoses are estimated to double by 2030.


Global problems have local contexts. Therefore, it was disappointing to read research by Lindsay Forbes and colleagues that a third of people in the UK aged 50 years or older would be reluctant to present symptoms that they recognise as being suggestive of cancer to their general practitioner, because of worry about wasting doctor's time. The study of differences in cancer awareness and beliefs is part of the International Cancer Benchmarking Partnership.

The Partnership seeks to improve cancer care by better understanding differences in performance between Australia, Canada, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and the UK—countries with similar wealth, access to care, and register quality—but dissimilar outcomes. Early results, published in The Lancet in 2011, showed that survival for colorectal, lung, breast, and ovarian cancer was lower in the UK, particularly in the first year after diagnosis.

Examples like this one show that even among people with similar demographics, understanding of cancer, and attitudes towards cancer, perceived barriers can be as important as actual barriers to care. To promote earlier and more effective engagement of patients with cancer care will require a cultural shift by health professionals, political leaders, and citizens alike, to encourage access.


So let us return to the question we began with—has cancer medicine failed patients? In the words of cancer experts, the answer is yes. But the cancer community, together with other essential parts of the health care system (eg, primary care), recognise the deficiencies of the past. They are determined to write not a new war plan but a new future for patients at risk of—or living with—cancer. 2013 must be a watershed year for cancer.
__________________
Let Food Be Your Medicine And Medicine Be Your Food.(Hippocrates)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-09-2013, 01:24 PM
pinballdoctor's Avatar
pinballdoctor pinballdoctor is offline
Lecturer
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Saskatchewan Canada
Posts: 1,853
pinballdoctor is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballdoctor View Post
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/la...228-7/fulltext

The failure of cancer medicine?

The Lancet



Quote:
Feb 4 was World Cancer Day, an opportunity to critically consider progress against cancer. Is it fair to say that the cancer medical community has failed patients living with cancer? This is a harsh statement, but according to respected oncologist, Franco Cavalli, whose Comment leads a discussion about cancer in today's Lancet: “Current strategies to control cancer are demonstrably not working.”
Even though this respected oncologist states that the medical community has failed cancer patients, he talks about controlling cancer, with no mention of the "cure" word.





I
Quote:
n October, 2012, cancer researchers, clinicians, policy makers, industry representatives, patient advocates, and journalists from several titles, including The Lancet, met in Lugano, Switzerland, at the World Oncology Forum. Their ten-point message can be paraphrased as doing what we know how to do better in terms of prevention, treatment, and care; and learning what we do not yet know more efficiently through new models of research focused on patient benefit. Central mechanisms for achieving these changes include having a clear cancer strategy for each country, universal health coverage to deliver higher quality cancer care, and to wage war on tobacco.
Their idea of prevention is more doctor visits, more x-rays, more mammograms, ct scans, vaccines, etc... all of which cause cancer and have nothing to do with actual prevention since you can't cure a deficiency with drugs or surgery.

What do they mean by higher quality cancer care? Does that mean more chemo drugs? Digital x-rays? More of the same crap that doesn't address the cause?

We all know tobacco is not healthy, but we are also smart enough to realize alot of people die from lung cancer that never smoked. We should be waging a war against margerine instead.


Quote:
World Cancer Day, 2013, set out to debunk many myths about cancer. One of those myths is that cancer is solely a health issue. The Comment by Ara Darzi and colleagues debunks that myth well by presenting some socioeconomic aspects of cancer and how these relate to sustainable development. Their message is a reminder of the increasing challenge of cancer in developing countries. Felicia Knaul, Rifat Atun, Paul Farmer, and Julio Frenk elaborate on the cancer divide in their online Comment, describing how low-income and middle-income countries have only 5% of the finance to deal with 80% of the burden of cancer.
Perhaps one day they will figure out that poor people and poor nutrition go hand in hand, thus less nutrition equals more mineral deficiency which can and does lead to several health issues including cancers. Now throw in contaminated vaccines, filthy water, and Malaria, and you've got chaos.

Instead of supplying nutrition, supplements, clean water, and mosquito netting, they offer condoms and more vaccines.


Quote:
Worldwide cancer diagnoses and deaths are increasing. 8 million people died from cancer in 2010, a 38% increase compared with 1990. Cancer diagnoses are estimated to double by 2030.
This should tell the average person that they don't have a clue when it comes to cancer. If they knew what they were doing, cancer rates would be decreasing, not doubling.

Instead of looking to nutrition, they insist on more chemo/radiation, and if they could just master the genome, they could alter the gene that causes cancer. What they don't know or care to know is that when it comes to epigenetics, genes can't do anything without nutrition. Linus Pauling proved that over 50 years ago.

These idiots are wasting money and have been for decades, however they will not stop because the money will stop, ending their livelihood.



Quote:
The Partnership seeks to improve cancer care by better understanding differences in performance between Australia, Canada, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and the UK—countries with similar wealth, access to care, and register quality—but dissimilar outcomes. Early results, published in The Lancet in 2011, showed that survival for colorectal, lung, breast, and ovarian cancer was lower in the UK, particularly in the first year after diagnosis.
Cancer is treated the same in all industrial countries, that is why it is a complete failure. At least countries like Germany are using ozone while the west will not allow it, due to greed.

Quote:
Examples like this one show that even among people with similar demographics, understanding of cancer, and attitudes towards cancer, perceived barriers can be as important as actual barriers to care. To promote earlier and more effective engagement of patients with cancer care will require a cultural shift by health professionals, political leaders, and citizens alike, to encourage access.
They just don't get it. Cancer is not a deficiency of chemo or radiation, it is a long term nutritional deficiency, just like type 2 diabetes, and muscular dystrophy, and arthritis, and high blood pressure, and fibromyalgia, and cramps, and twitching, and so on..


Quote:
So let us return to the question we began with—has cancer medicine failed patients? In the words of cancer experts, the answer is yes. But the cancer community, together with other essential parts of the health care system (eg, primary care), recognise the deficiencies of the past. They are determined to write not a new war plan but a new future for patients at risk of—or living with—cancer. 2013 must be a watershed year for cancer.
The war on cancer has been a complete failure, and nothing will change unless attitudes change, and that will only happen when the people rebel against this barbaric, useless cancer medicine and start using essential raw materials, starting with 16 vitamins, 60 minerals, 12 amino acids, and 3 essential fatty acids. Throw in some curcumin, fish oil, antioxidants, probiotics, and have a decent diet rich in veggies, fruit, high quality protein, nuts and seeds, and try to avoid the garbage, especially margerines, canola oil, corn oil, even olive oil because they can all go rancid and become transfat in the body. Use butter, coconut oil, or even lard. (there...I've said it)

For those who don't think disease can be caused by a vitamin or mineral deficiency, think of rickets, scurvy, pellagra, goiter, beriberi, etc...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-12-2013, 08:42 AM
newlife newlife is offline
Explorer
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 63
newlife is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballdoctor View Post
The war on cancer has been a complete failure
Many of us define disease as exclusively bad/evil entities towards which we must launch a must-win war. This is the medical philosophy base that has taken our society on a never-ending high cost conflict with illness. Interestingly enough, there are many similarities between our military based conflict resolution culture and our aggressive medical practices.

Both philosophies view enemy/disease as inherently evil entities. Conflict resolutions are high cost, short term, and almost always leads/escalates to further conflict. At the core of both philosophies is hatred and a desire to destroy the enemy at all costs, which often leads to acceptance of collateral damage. "Sure, it's OK that 500 thousand innocent children died because we killed a dictator who probably would have killed 500,001 children!" Sound familiar? "Yes, we will cut out your organ but along with it, we are killing the real enemy. . . cancer!" or "Yes, we are destroying your healthy cells and hammering your immune system but we are also destroying the real enemy. . . cancer!"

I have met many cancer survivors and experienced their journeys, often times from first diagnosis to living healthy lives. Over the years, I've noticed a commonality among people in this group, regardless of the different healing paths that they took; the commonality is a philosophical shift in the way they view disease. Sure, nobody likes cancer, but they don't view it as evil or the as an enemy. I guess the best way I could describe the view would be of a "friend" who overstays his welcome on the guest couch.

With ^this view, they do not attempt to torch the couch to burn the friend. They don't poison his morning coffee. They don't drive a lawn mower across his toes. What they do is gently encourage him to leave and provide an environment that is less hospitable. "Oh, did I tell you my mother is visiting next week? Then my boss is visiting for dinner after that and I'm thinking about remodeling the living room. . ." - And people might say to this, "You have to be more aggressive!!" - to which I would suggest. Why not try the least aggressive, least invasive method first?

Any how, I am new to this forum but it seems to me that many members here are more open to ^this philosophical view of disease. Again, having seen many success cases of cancer and various chronic illness, I believe this is the correct way to resolve health issues. . . and really. . . issues of any kind.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-27-2013, 03:45 PM
jesichashope's Avatar
jesichashope jesichashope is offline
Explorer
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: CT
Posts: 53
jesichashope is on a distinguished road
Default

The way we deal with cancer is failing the people; we deserve the truth but we will not get it if we believe some corporation or government will give it to us. It is time we took it into our own hands.
With little nutrition and lots of chemicals you could conceivably kill off most of the population in most countries in a matter of time. Is this what we are accepting?
There are more and more recent studies indicating chemotherapy and radiation are in fact prolonging or spreading the cancer, not curing it. The government of the U.S. states there is NO cure and prohibits us from using that word. Why? Money! But there are curative treatments, and they do not involve poisoning, burning or cutting people; it is 'do no harm' first. Cancer is not as complex as they want us to believe. Most curative treatments target just the cancer cells, they know where they are vulnerable and concentrate on those vulnerabilities causing them to die.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-28-2013, 06:10 AM
happy2bhere's Avatar
happy2bhere happy2bhere is offline
Observing cool stuff
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: INternets
Posts: 733
happy2bhere will become famous soon enoughhappy2bhere will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
The war on cancer has been a complete failure, and nothing will change unless attitudes change, and that will only happen when the people rebel against this barbaric, useless cancer medicine and start using essential raw materials, starting with 16 vitamins, 60 minerals, 12 amino acids, and 3 essential fatty acids. Throw in some curcumin, fish oil, antioxidants, probiotics, and have a decent diet rich in veggies, fruit, high quality protein, nuts and seeds, and try to avoid the garbage, especially margarine, canola oil, corn oil, even olive oil because they can all go rancid and become trans-fat in the body. Use butter, coconut oil, or even lard. (there...I've said it)

For those who don't think disease can be caused by a vitamin or mineral deficiency, think of rickets, scurvy, pellagra, goiter, beriberi, etc...
There is MUCH to learn about olive oil. I recently watched the harvest/press/bottling of half ripe olives in Italy and Spain on Veria Living. Most of the families do not share the coveted FRESH oil with major bottlers/shippers. There are some - but you are going to PAY for that jet that ships it quickly. I guess I am sticking with my raw goat butter and my coconut *unprocessed. Giving olive oil to stbx husband. He loves olive oil.

Looking here for more information: http://www.truthinoliveoil.com/great...reat-olive-oil
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-28-2013, 08:39 AM
Solstice Goat's Avatar
Solstice Goat Solstice Goat is offline
Frater Aegagrus
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,647
Solstice Goat has a spectacular aura aboutSolstice Goat has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlife View Post
Any how, I am new to this forum but it seems to me that many members here are more open to ^this philosophical view of disease. Again, having seen many success cases of cancer and various chronic illness, I believe this is the correct way to resolve health issues. . . and really. . . issues of any kind.

Bravo!


I have learned from dog training, how to better deal with my boss; Ignore his bad habits and re-direct him when he's being bad.
__________________
"We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me." George Orwell
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-01-2013, 06:14 PM
Cookie's Avatar
Cookie Cookie is offline
Lovin' life~
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: JerSea
Posts: 1,970
Blog Entries: 10
Cookie has a spectacular aura aboutCookie has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice Goat View Post
Bravo!


I have learned from dog training, how to better deal with my boss; Ignore his bad habits and re-direct him when he's being bad.
Okay, now that was funny right there, even though I'm sure you implement those actions *howls*


__________________
The art of medicine consists of amusing the patient while nature cures the disease
~Voltaire~
Reply With Quote
Reply
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Integrative Medicine for Cancer Treatment Effects kind2creatures Cancer 2 05-05-2012 08:27 AM
Modern Medicine moves Closer to Another Cancer Cure liverock Cancer 0 09-24-2011 10:07 AM
Chemo & Radiation Dismal Failure Rate, Cause Cancer kind2creatures Cancer 19 07-21-2011 02:28 AM
Emotions In Cancer Medicine Part 1 Arrowwind09 Mental Health 4 12-08-2007 05:19 PM
Monitoring your Natural Cancer Cure Progress/Failure Marcus Alternative Therapies 3 09-12-2006 10:54 AM