Go Back   Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Vitamins & Supplements

Old 02-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Observing cool stuff

happy2bhere will become famous soon enoughhappy2bhere will become famous soon enough
Default Sperti Vit D Lamps? D/UV F

Yay or Nay?

Sick of the GMO supplements. There is ONE sunny day around here while 25 degrees, and SIX dark/cloudy days.

Been popping D for a few years. Is Sperti a better way?

http://www.sperti.com/

Lamp in center - $425
Old 02-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Lecturer

Mad Scientest has a spectacular aura aboutMad Scientest has a spectacular aura aboutMad Scientest has a spectacular aura about

$425 for a UV lamp seems a bit steep. I sure you could buy some UV lamps for a conventional florescent fixture for a whole lot less.

I recently had to fix the clothes dryer, gas valve stopped working, so while I was at I also modified the door by adding a UV lamp to help give the clothes a bit fresher smell and kill any ďbugsĒ that might have make it through washing. The lamp cost $20.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:29 AM
Observing cool stuff

happy2bhere will become famous soon enoughhappy2bhere will become famous soon enough

I was wondering about that. Buying the replacement bulbs for the actual lamp and see if I could rig one up myself to use while on the treadmill.

There is NO sun in Indiana any more. If you happen to see it early in the morning, the jets come with their innocent contrails that make this gauze - and POOF! Sun is GONE. Now cloudy AGAIN!

My very costly D3 drops went BAD. yeechhh. I just don't want to be a supplement addict, any more.

That $425 could be better spent on de-flourinating kitchen faucet!! Or, the bathroom faucet. Or go to the GET AWAY fund? Somewhere South?
Old 02-08-2013, 07:09 PM
Lecturer

Mad Scientest has a spectacular aura aboutMad Scientest has a spectacular aura aboutMad Scientest has a spectacular aura about

If you go looking for a replacement lamp, their are different shades of UV, want you want is a "UVB" lamp. Also know as a sun-tanning lamp.

Also just as you would not look directly at the sun, assuming there are no chemtrails in the way, do not directly look at these lamps.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:22 AM
Observing cool stuff

Well, thought I'd get by cheaper...using some type of +400 nanometer blue LED bulb. Cannot find a supplier of those. Of course I would not LOOK at bulb.

**(Made that mistake once when getting a tan w/o the sun, was new. Was NOT handed goggles, my first visit - didn't know. Later that evening I was in the ER. I could NOT open my eyes. Felt like sand was poured into them. God, that was bad. The same weekend I did my own perm, too--then bf, now stbx, led me straight into the shrubbery. I had patches on my eyes and had made a dr recheck. I couldn't drive and he didn't exactly HELP me navigate while leaving apartment. Can just imagine what my neighbors were wondering. What is that black thing on her eyes? Why is her hair all fuzzy and sticking straight up? Why is she wearing floral with stripes in off colors? what is she doing in the shrubs? lol).

Anyway, we have a verilux happy lamp. Doesn't make me happy at all.

I would like to dig into this. I cannot go anywhere warm, sunny, relaxing - and I really would like to cut down on all the expensive supplements.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Lecturer

I doubt you will find ledís to be bright enough. I have a few here left over from when I was helping a guy design various types of UV light sources for disinfecting. The first ones used ledís and they simply were not strong enough to be effective.

If Iím not mistaken to produce significant amounts of vitamin D from sun light you need to be outside at noon for around 20 minutes. You are only going to get that kind of light from some high power fluorescent s.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Observing cool stuff

oh. http://www.ehow.com/how_5799048_use-...vitamin-d.html

• 1 Use a blue-light LED to stimulate vitamin D. According to bodyblues.com, a 5,000-lux phototherapy device using LEDs is as effective as a 10,000-lux device using bright light. However, a bright light of 10,000 lux poses risks associated with UV-exposure. Blue-light produces vitamin D at a dimmer light intensity and at a lower wavelength in the spectrum, minimizing the risks associated with UV exposure. "For the most benefits, the light source either has to be very bright, 5,000 lux or more, or it has to be a very specific wavelength," according to thebodyblues.com. Blue light in the 405- to 425-nanometer wavelength range is optimum for triggering vitamin D production and FDA-approved.
  • 2 Schedule light therapy in the morning. Studies suggest that you should avoid light therapy in the evening to protect the quality of your sleep. Each device varies in its directions for use. However, the general recommendation is to expose your face, neck, arms and chest area to the light for 10 to 30 minutes.
  • 3 Take safety precautions. Use only a UV-shielded device or one emitting light in the 405- to 425-nanometer range. Manufacturers of grow lights that emit UV rays outside of this range advise you to wear UV glasses and apply sunscreen before exposure. Read product directions thoroughly.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bhere View Post
Blue light in the 405- to 425-nanometer wavelength range is optimum for triggering vitamin D production and FDA-approved.

Ok that is interesting, assuming that this is correct, the key then is finding a lamp with that wave length.
This is a longer wave then the UVB that is used for sun tanning lamps which are what I would have expected would be needed and even longer UVA (black light) .
Quote:
Things You'll Need

• 5,000-lux LED light lamp
  • Sunscreen
  • UV safety goggles
5,000-lux LED light lamp --- Yes
UV safety goggles --- Yes

Sunscreen --- NO! aside from the toxic chemicals in it, its purpose is to block UV.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:27 AM
Lovin' life~

Cookie has a spectacular aura aboutCookie has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bhere View Post
Blue light in the 405- to 425-nanometer wavelength range is optimum for triggering vitamin D production and FDA-approved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Scientest View Post
Ok that is interesting, assuming that this is correct

I'm not sure that is correct so more digging for info before you buy h2b
It's my understanding that 7-dehydrocholesterol in the skin only reacts with UVB wavelengths in the 270 and 300 nm range.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:24 AM
Lecturer

Ted_Hutchinson has a spectacular aura aboutTed_Hutchinson has a spectacular aura about

UVA (PUVA) What and why?

It's the UVB that creates Vitamin D
anything in the UVA spectrum will deplete vitamin d3 and process it to suprasterols the body doesn't use.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Lovin' life~

Alrighty, we have confirmation of the range, thanx Ted

The other thing to consider, is whether or not you have enough (quantity) of 7-dehydrocholesterol present in the stratum basale & stratum spinosum layers of the skin. I have no idea how you would test for it.
Most people have enough of it.. I'm not sure what would compromise production.
(Writing this mostly as a reminder to research it )
Old 02-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Lovin' life~

Exposure duration under the lamp before a reversal occurs?

Anyone know what how many minutes is in 1 minimal erythemal dose (of simulated solar UVB radiation)?
pg 644S
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/61/3/638S.full.pdf

*minimal erythemal dose/time exposure is established individually as skin type & other factors need to be considered.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:55 AM
Observing cool stuff

Quote:
Anyone know what how many minutes is in 1 minimal erythemal dose (of simulated solar UVB radiation)?
pg 644S
Huh?

They can put a guy on the moon, you would think getting some D from a lamp wouldn't be so difficult. Does this Sperti have the market cornered, or what?

Sperti has the replacement bulbs. Has the instructions on Amazon. I am just not sure the length of the bulb, if two would be sufficient in another type of fixture.

But, it should NOT be that difficult. Wouldn't being under regular old fluorescent lights all day in the office be MORE damaging?

I'm gonna have to increase my brain fish caps for this one.

There's THIS confusing page: http://www.vitamindwiki.com/Vitamin+...perhaps+office
(Warning: Graphic pictures of half naked man in bed reading)

Half naked reading man uses this site when purchasing: http://www.homephototherapy.com/uv-lamp-prices.htm
Old 02-14-2013, 06:12 AM
Observing cool stuff

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/61/3/638S.full.pdf
644S

An alternative is to consider designing indoor lighting that
would provide a small amount of ultraviolet B radiation to
promote the cutaneous synthesis of cholecalciferol in a passive
manner. An analysis of exposure to simulated radiation at
distances of 0.3 and 1 .5 m from the source revealed that this
kind of exposure is capable of promoting precholecalciferol
synthesis in skin (34) (Figure 12). Thus, it is likely that in the
future indoor lighting that contains ultraviolet B radiation in
selected areas (such as activity rooms, eating areas, etc) will be
an important source of vitamin D for elderly people who cannot
depend on environmental exposure.

(Help an elderly girl out with some suggestions, please--on where and what to buy for that indoor lighting)
Old 02-14-2013, 07:12 AM
Observing cool stuff

Quote:
Our firm (www.amjo.net and www.HomePhotoTherapy.com) has avoided offering UV products for Vitamin D production as there are no clear treatment guidlines. I personally recommend that you buy a sports car, drive top down for fun in the sun. This seems to work for me.
http://www.uvbnarrowband.com/index.p...-uv-or-not-uv/

On way to car dealership, now.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.