Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Heart Health > Hypertension

� #1
Old 06-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Observer
muacsom is on a distinguished road
Question High Blood Pressure During Exercise

My blood pressure is oscillating a lot. When i'm resting my blood pressure is 130/70, but right after exercising it got as high as 230/90. Is it normal? I'm worried, and I don't know what to do.
� #2
Old 06-27-2012, 08:32 PM
titan
ophiuchus is on a distinguished road

that's hypertensive... do not consume any sodium unless you are adding it to food yourself. i notice a drop in blood pressure after working out, that is, an hour or so. when you say "right after" do you literally mean like minutes after you stop or how soon after working out are you taking it? the second reading may not be accurate...
� #3
Old 06-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Observer
muacsom is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophiuchus View Post
that's hypertensive... do not consume any sodium unless you are adding it to food yourself. i notice a drop in blood pressure after working out, that is, an hour or so. when you say "right after" do you literally mean like minutes after you stop or how soon after working out are you taking it? the second reading may not be accurate...
When i said my blood pressure went as high as 230/90 right after exercising i meant within 2 minutes after stopping the exercise itself.
Regarding my diet, I only eat healthy and homemade food during weekdays. Lots of fruit salad, oats, greens and so forth. On weekends i eat something different like candy and sometimes fast-food.
Last time i took my blood pressure (about 3 weeks ago) it was 120/80. That's why it's so confusing. I don't know how it can go so high and all if my diet is ok and my blood pressure readings were also ok before today.
� #4
Old 06-28-2012, 06:16 AM
Enlightener
jbo is on a distinguished road

Have you taken it a few times? I've heard of crazy readings and 230/90 seems to be an incorrect reading.

I had blood pressure of about 135/90 to 140/95 give or take for awhile and now it's down to about 117/70 as I check it often. I actually posted a while ago asking for help and most people recommended hibisous tea, which I'm thankful.

I drink a lot of hibiscous tea, which seems to work the best and it tastes amazing. I started taking olive leaf extact as well in the morning and I've noticed my blood pressure is low, but I haven't noticed spikes like I used to notice. I also add a teaspoon of cocoa powder to a breakfast shake everyday as there's been studies that cocoa powder lowers your blood pressure as well as many other things.

I exercise at least 4 days a week, but haven't checked it minutes after working out. Blood pressure is the result of your heart contracting then relaxing with each beat and your blood pressure will normally rise during physical activity and remain high for an hour. I've never measured my blood pressure minutes after working out, because I work out at a gym.

After googling for awhile I saw that some people are as high as 480/350 mm Hg during exercise, I honestly didn't know that it would go that high. The article I read said that if people have extremely high blood pressure during exercise it's predictor of high blood pressure for them in the future.
� #5
Old 06-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Lecturer
liverock is just really niceliverock is just really niceliverock is just really niceliverock is just really niceliverock is just really nice

If you are regularly getting high raised BP after exercise it is usually a sign of increased artery plaque and stiffening. A lot of Marathon runners getting heart attacks are due to this problem. They go to the doctors office and get cleared for a safe resting BP, but when under exercise increased blood flow is required, the heart has to work much harder to get the required increase in blood flow through the narrowed stiff arteries and there is a resulting high increase in BP.

https://blog.trackyourplaque.com/2007...-pressure.html

Increased lipoprotein(a) can be the problem. I would get a test for this including a lipid profile of small LDL,large LDL,VDL and HDL, triglycerides and a CT heartscan to measure plaque before trying some of the other natural supplements to reduce plaque such as Vitamins B complex,C,D,E,K2 and magnesium,proline,lysine, CoQ10 and carnitine.
� #6
Old 06-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Lecturer
pinballdoctor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverock View Post
If you are regularly getting high raised BP after exercise it is usually a sign of increased artery plaque and stiffening. A lot of Marathon runners getting heart attacks are due to this problem.
I would suggest most of these heart attacks are due to selenium deficiency, or in the case of ruptured aortic aneurysm, a copper deficiency.

Marathon runners should not have plaque buildup..
� #7
Old 06-28-2012, 12:50 PM
Lecturer
liverock is just really niceliverock is just really niceliverock is just really niceliverock is just really niceliverock is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballdoctor View Post
Marathon runners should not have plaque buildup..
The man mentioned in the Heartscan blog had his plaque measured by CT scan and despite running long distances he had extensive plaque build up

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0315091100.htm

Most of the studies I have seen dont bear out the theory that long distance running prevents plaque build up.

https://www.unstoppablestrength.com/l...-can-kill-you/

Quote:
/20/84 – Jim Fixx, author of “The Complete Book of Running”, drops dead of a heart attack at the age of 52. Dr. Eleanor N. McQuillen, Vermont’s chief medical examiner who performed an autopsy on Mr. Fixx, said in an interview that all three of his coronary arteries were damaged by arteriosclerosis, the underlying cause of heart attacks.

Long distance running INCREASES coronary plaque buildup

Based on the multitude of treadmills at the average gym, the idea of jogging endlessly gives the impression that you are “getting in some cardio” and that “your heart will thank you”. Two recent studies show that is NOT the case. One study, administered at the West-German Heart Center Essen, focused on male marathoners age 50 and up. Among the study’s findings, while the runners had lower than average cholesterol levels and better blood pressure, they had more measurable coronary calcium buildup or plaque than the general population. In the study, German scientists scanned the hearts of 108 experienced, male distance runners in their 50s, 60s and 70s. The runners had completed a minimum of 5 marathons in the previous 3 years. When the researchers studied the runners’ scan results, they found that more than a third of the men showed evidence of significant calcification or plaque build-up in their heart arteries. Several also had scarring of some of the tissue in their hearts. The researchers stated, “In our study regular marathon running seems not to protect runners (from coronary artery disease). In fact, we even cannot exclude the possibility that exercise to this degree has deleterious effects on coronary arteries.”(3)

A second study of 25 middle-aged male runners, each of whom had completed the Twin Cities Marathon annually for the past 25 consecutive years, demonstrated they had significantly greater mean volumes of coronary calcified plaque than did age-matched sedentary controls. The lead researcher, Dr. Jonathan Schwartz said, “The bottom line here is just because you run a lot of marathons and you’re very active doesn’t mean you’re protected from coronary artery calcification. Benefits to long-term, high-volume endurance training for overall health include favorable body mass index, heart rate, and lipid panel, but these may be counterbalanced by metabolic and mechanical factors that enhance coronary plaque growth.”(4)
� #8
Old 06-28-2012, 10:35 PM
Lecturer
pinballdoctor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverock View Post
The man mentioned in the Heartscan blog had his plaque measured by CT scan and despite running long distances he had extensive plaque build up

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0315091100.htm

Most of the studies I have seen dont bear out the theory that long distance running prevents plaque build up.

https://www.unstoppablestrength.com/l...-can-kill-you/

I find this quite amazing as it is not logical.

You would normally think that running long distances would increase heart rate, thus increasing blood flow as well as oxygen.

It is my opinion that a calcium build-up is nothing more than a magnesium deficiency, and in the case of the above marathon runner with extensive plaque build-up, it looks like he could have had a heart attack at any time..even with normal blood pressure.

It does make me wonder though when person dies of so-called natural causes, why vitamin/mineral deficiency tests aren't done. I am very curious to know if this runner was deficient in magnesium and/or other essential nutrients..

Anyway, interesting article..

Tags
exercise, heart health, high blood pressure
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.